Jump to content
BANGKOK
Liverpoolfan

Dual Pricing in Thailand

Dual Pricing In Thailand.  

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Up to them I suppose, and fair enough if it is reasonable amount more.  But it does not feel too good if you live there and you walk into a shop to buy a hardware item that is marked say 100 bht and shop man say 150. You Falang. Up country not too often charged this extra though, I found

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problem with this. Only small money involved and, anyway, it happens all over the world with university fees, theatre tickets etc. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazingly, this topic has been discussed so many times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, newnative said:

   I voted yes.  I've never given it a thought at any of the attractions I go to and I really don't see what all the shouting is about for something that is common practice in lots of countries.  I always assume there will be a different price structure for foreigners, just as there often is for children and seniors.  The prices are always very reasonable and, as others have said, if you can't afford to go, don't--and stop whining.  

what other countries? in the UK there isn't dual pricing. Don't say America

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a topic that comes up a lot but nothing is done hence why it eternally comes up. Personally I don't go to places that have dual pricing, if everyone did the same maybe just maybe they might reconsider this dual pricing nonsense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:
46 minutes ago, newnative said:

   I voted yes.  I've never given it a thought at any of the attractions I go to and I really don't see what all the shouting is about for something that is common practice in lots of countries.  I always assume there will be a different price structure for foreigners, just as there often is for children and seniors.  The prices are always very reasonable and, as others have said, if you can't afford to go, don't--and stop whining.  

what other countries? in the UK there isn't dual pricing. Don't say America

 

Indeed... newnatives response is a dumbed down over simplification and dismissal of a problem and then finished of with the flippancy of ‘if you can’t afford it..... ‘  as if price and not principle is the issue. 

 

newnatives - holes in your argument: A different price structure for children and seniors is based on age, not nationality or race !!

 

Any differentiation, price, service etc based on nationality or race alone is outright wrong - I have never seen one valid excuse to justify double-pricing based on nationality. All I ever see are flawed attempt, as yours [newnatives] above to somehow explain and justify something which is wrong.

 

 

None of this stops me from visiting anything, unless the double charge is significant enough and done in such an objectionable way I object and refuse. 

 

Mostly, I get the Thai price with an ID card or Drivers licence (except for National Parks), this doesn’t make the practice of dual pricing any less agreeable. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2020 at 6:23 PM, baansgr said:

it's foreigner have big money must pay more

if that was the reasoning wealthy Thai would have to pay more... 

 

On 7/9/2020 at 6:18 PM, Liverpoolfan said:

How about foreigners living and working in Thailand and also those with Thai families?

too many distinctions... what abt foreigners who once worked, have a family but it is now split apart and lost a toe in the war... 

 

As others have mentioned, it is not uncommon in other places to have 2 tier pricing for varying reasons... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

It does not matter how many times a topic comes up, Thaivisa has thousands of members, so many different viewpoints.

that's why it's boring, the viewpoints are the same and have been for the 18yrs I've been reading. It's like folks want to read themselves crying online for some stupid reason. It's simple -  don't want to pay don't pay, but crying about it on here is not going to change it or it would of happened already. It's like talking to a drunk or someone senile - same story over and over lol 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

 

Indeed... newnatives response is a dumbed down over simplification and dismissal of a problem and then finished of with the flippancy of ‘if you can’t afford it..... ‘  as if price and not principle is the issue. 

 

newnatives - holes in your argument: A different price structure for children and seniors is based on age, not nationality or race !!

 

Any differentiation, price, service etc based on nationality or race alone is outright wrong - I have never seen one valid excuse to justify double-pricing based on nationality. All I ever see are flawed attempt, as yours [newnatives] above to somehow explain and justify something which is wrong.

 

 

None of this stops me from visiting anything, unless the double charge is significant enough and done in such an objectionable way I object and refuse. 

 

Mostly, I get the Thai price with an ID card or Drivers licence (except for National Parks), this doesn’t make the practice of dual pricing any less agreeable. 

 

 

    Thailand gives a price break to its citizens for some attractions--it has nothing to do with race.  As I said, stop whining--it's not an attractive look on you or scubascuba3.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

what other countries? in the UK there isn't dual pricing. Don't say America

   Well, nearby we have Cambodia, India, and China with dual pricing for some of their attractions.  America has long had dual pricing regarding tuition at colleges and universities--I don't see much difference between dual pricing for tuition vs. dual pricing to enter a park. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, newnative said:

   Well, nearby we have Cambodia, India, and China with dual pricing for some of their attractions.  America has long had dual pricing regarding tuition at colleges and universities--I don't see much difference between dual pricing for tuition vs. dual pricing to enter a park. 

In Canada there are many colleges and universities in serious trouble due to the lack of ability to overcharge visiting students 2 to 4 times more - and no, I don't buy the tax argument for justification..

 

Anyways, one thing hasn't changed the CAC brigade just pass the torch, whining about money never gets old for them..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2020 at 9:12 PM, Liverpoolfan said:

Is it right to charge foreigners more than locals at tourist attractions in Thailand?

Is it right to charge tourists more per se, than locals at tourist attractions anywhere in the world.

 

While it is not considered discrimination, the fact that anyone, not that I didn't say Thai's, would want to charge more for a tourist to enter an attraction than a citizen deserves to be totally boycotted in my opinion, but each to their own, you will have those who are more than happy to pay more for the privilege, I on the other hand regardless of how much more it costs refuse to pay more than a citizen of that country, I mean it just goes to show how disingenuous those wanting to charge tourists more are, so why not tell them how discouraged we are, in other words, throw it back at them, as this topic refers to Thailand, an "up to you" approach needs to be on an equal playing field, but that is not going to happen unless everyone boycotts these overcharging venues till they get the message, on price should be across the board, regardless if a foreigner, colour or race.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my country most cities, not all, charge locals less or even free to visit museums and other places of interests.

 

Seniors get cheaper prices on public transport and many other amenities.

 

In my home country, only 25 years ago, colored people would not be allowed entrance to the biggest disco in Europe

 

In the US Disney charges locals less for entrance than out of state visitors.

 

There are many countries in the world that have similar rules.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...