Dual Pricing in Thailand

WineOh

Dual Pricing In Thailand.  

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 7/11/2020 at 2:13 AM, scubascuba3 said:
On 7/10/2020 at 2:45 PM, pacovl46 said:

Just because the majority on TVF thinks it’s not right doesn’t mean that that’s the case! Their country - their rules! It’s that simple! 

well done for resisting "if you don't like it, go home"

he was aiming for ‘we are guests in this country and have no rights’ !!!!! 

On 7/11/2020 at 2:10 AM, Trillian said:
On 7/11/2020 at 1:56 AM, Liverpoolfan said:

It’s already up and running!

rather slow on the uptake, aren't you? 

Good luck with that, let me know how it works out for you.

Because of complaints this is an issue those in positions of decision making power are becoming more aware of. 

Without the complaints and attitudes such as ‘let me know how it works out for you’ these issues have gone on too long.

Dual pricing based on nationality is wrong, over the years there is not argument I have heard which adequately justify dual pricing. Many examples of other countries employing dual pricing have been presented, but none of those example rely on nationality alone. 

Other examples have used ‘education’, i.e. in the UK those students from outside the UK have to pay more. However, this is not dual pricing, as my Son also has to pay more to attend UK university if we have not lived in the UK for the previous 3 years. 

The Thai child of a family with ILR or Right to Abode and have been living in the UK for the past 3 years also get UK rates for University. 

The Thai child of a family with ILR living in the UK receives free primary and secondary education.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Because of complaints this is an issue those in positions of decision making power are becoming more aware of. 

Without the complaints and attitudes such as ‘let me know how it works out for you’ these issues have gone on too long.

Dual pricing based on nationality is wrong, over the years there is not argument I have heard which adequately justify dual pricing. Many examples of other countries employing dual pricing have been presented, but none of those example rely on nationality alone. 

Other examples have used ‘education’, i.e. in the UK those students from outside the UK have to pay more. However, this is not dual pricing, as my Son also has to pay more to attend UK university if we have not lived in the UK for the previous 3 years. 

The Thai child of a family with ILR or Right to Abode and have been living in the UK for the past 3 years also get UK rates for University. 

The Thai child of a family with ILR living in the UK receives free primary and secondary education.

I also dont agree with dual pricing but here in thailand i dont let it bother me, whenever i'm faced with this i just assume they dont want me in there and thats fine by me, i rather walk away than enter somewhere i'm not wanted.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/bangkok-axe-club-strikes-back-at-farang-dual-pricing/

Bangkok axe club strikes back at farang ‘dual pricing’

An axe-throwing club has joined the fray over jacked-up prices for foreigners by introducing its own dual-pricing scheme: farangs pay half.

With debate raging anew over foreigners being made to pay much more for some attractions and services, Golden Axe Throw Club announced Sunday that it would charge them less every Tuesday. 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It doesn’t matter what you think is right or wrong! It’s their decision and you have to either suck it up or don’t go there! 

12 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

It doesn’t matter what you think is right or wrong! It’s their decision and you have to either suck it up or don’t go there! 

Agreed... we should end the thread and pretty much any other thread discussing things in Thailand. 

In fact, this forum specifically designed for discussion should not really exist... because, after all, It's their decision and it doesn’t matter what we think... 'Go home if we don’t like it’...  :clap2:

(note: apply your sarcasm filter when reading the above comment)

• Sad 1

On 7/9/2020 at 12:27 PM, Liverpoolfan said:

It isnt just 50 baht though, is it?

some places charges thais 30 baht and foreigners 400.

that is price gouging based on appearance.

plain and simple.

You still haven’t got over that expensive beer have you ?

• Haha 1

On 7/13/2020 at 6:26 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed... we should end the thread and pretty much any other thread discussing things in Thailand. 

In fact, this forum specifically designed for discussion should not really exist... because, after all, It's their decision and it doesn’t matter what we think... 'Go home if we don’t like it’...  :clap2:

(note: apply your sarcasm filter when reading the above comment)

Every country in the world has shortcomings, including Thailand. Here’s the thing, though, there’s so much bitching going on in this forum about how this needs to be changed and that is not how it is back home, and the Thais are inadequate when it comes this and they should handle that differently bla bla bla. The reality is, Thais do it the way they want it done in their own country, just like every other country in the world does as they see fit in their jurisdiction! Thailand is not your home country - stop comparing it with where you come from! 

Essentially we have two options, we can go on and on about the “Injustice” and make our lives miserable about it or we ask ourselves the real question at hand, is the more expensive entrance fee worth it to you to go and experience that national park, place or what have you? If the answer is yes, great, fork out the money and go enjoy, if the answer is no then fine, don’t go see it, but stop bitching about the injustice because I don’t see anyone bitching about the fact that most Thais earn 5% of what you guys make and yet you expect to pay what they have to pay! 

When I was still teaching and before Thailand introduced minimum wages for Thais with a university degree, I made 40000 Baht a month for 20 hours a week. The Thai teachers made 8000 Baht for 40 hours a week. After the minimum wage was introduced their pay was increased to 15000 a month. 

Why are none of the foreigners in Thailand making a fuss about that? The real injustice?! You want to pay the same as the Thais, fine, how about making the same money for the same job then as well? 

I’d love to the see the outrage if pay equality would be introduced! 

And for those who come as tourists, you spend I don’t know how much money on flights, hotels, booze, pussy ping-pong shows, hookers and what have you, but 400 Baht for a nice park is where you draw the line in the sand! 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Every country in the world has shortcomings, including Thailand. Here’s the thing, though, there’s so much bitching going on in this forum about how this needs to be changed and that is not how it is back home, and the Thais are inadequate when it comes this and they should handle that differently bla bla bla. The reality is, Thais do it the way they want it done in their own country, just like every other country in the world does as they see fit in their jurisdiction! Thailand is not your home country - stop comparing it with where you come from! 

Agreed - lots of bitching going on, but thats going to happen in any topic involving such a topic. 

We’re permitted an option right?

Essentially we have two options, we can go on and on about the “Injustice” and make our lives miserable about it or we ask ourselves the real question at hand, is the more expensive entrance worth it to you to go and experience that national park, place what have you? If the answer is yes then fork out the money and go enjoy, if the answer is no then fine, don’t go see it, but stop bitching about the injustice

We can get on with our lives and live with double pricing quite happily without any issue. And we can also contribute to a discussion on the very subject. 

because I don’t see anyone bitching about the fact that most Thais earn 5% of what you guys make and yet you expect to pay what they have to pay! 

Most of the Thai’s I know and am friendly with area wealthier than I.

This idea that Foreigners are Wealthier than Thai’s and can thus afford to be targeted for double pricing is an extremely flawed outlook. 

When I was still teaching and before Thailand introduced minimum wages for Thais with a university degree, I made 40000 Baht a month for 20 hours a week. The Thai teachers made 8000 Baht for 40 hours a week. After the minimum wage was introduced their pay was increased to 15000 a month.

I'd hazard a guess that your qualifications and education are better. 

40,000 baht a month is still pittance, you need the dual pricing removed more than most of us. 

Why are none of the foreigners in Thailand making a fuss about that? The real injustice?! You want to pay the same as the Thais, fine, how about making the same money for the same job then as well for? 

Again, highly flawed excuse to explain the inexcusable, especially when most of the Thai’s I know are wealthy by Western standards. 

I’d love to the see the outrage if pay equality would be introduced! 

There would probably be outrage. Well, not really, those who work here as expats would just go elsewhere. Those who are scraping the barrel would quite likely be highly upset. 

Again, thought, pay equality does not excuse that dual pricing based on nationality is wrong. 

If you want pay equality to factor into it, charge people based on their income !!! 

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Most of the Thai’s I know and am friendly with area wealthier than I.

This idea that Foreigners are Wealthier than Thai’s and can thus afford to be targeted for double pricing is an extremely flawed outlook. 

Really?! Wow! Just like in most nations the number of poor people outweighs the number of the wealthy exponentially and just because you know only wealthy Thais doesn’t mean that the majority of Thais is rich! So much for having an extremely flawed outlook! Leave the rich suburbs behind, walk the streets and open your eyes to the real Thailand and you’ll see! 

Yeah, you’re entitled to your opinion, but as I said, bitching about it here doesn’t change anything one bit apart from souring the mood! 

Case closed!