Any suggestions please for day trips from Chiang Mai

Keith5588

I am from the UK aged 67. I have been living in Khon Kaen for the past 3 years with my Thai gf. We have not visited Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai before.

During the first half of August we will be spending 9 nights in Chiang Mai (inside of the old city) and then 6 nights in Chiang Rai.

We are both reasonably fit and do not mind walking a reasonable distance and hopefully will join the Hash House Harriers on a run or two.

I intend to hire a motorbike but not a car.

Places like Doi Inthanon, do you think it best to book a tour or to visit independently. I have read that it would be a bit too far and steep to do it comfortably on a motorbike?

Also maybe a trip up past Pai to the Lod cave, could we travel there on a Songthaew?

Any help and suggestions much appretiated.

Thank you

Keith

Depends how confident you feel on a motorbike.

Doi Inthanon would be a nice trip with a bike. It will be a bit cooler up there.

To the Lod cave from Chiang Mai takes around 4 hours, you might consider staying a night somewhere, otherwise it could be torture. Many curves take their time.

Pai canyon, Mae Hong Son Loop, just some ideas.

• Like 1

Cuddling tigers at tiger Kingdom was one of the most wonderful moments of my life (I tell my kids it was their births) although maybe not too ethical.

Quad biking up into the mountains was excellent too.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

Hi,

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I ride a scooter around Khon Kaen and am confident at least for short distances. I’m not so good at long distances as I tend to start falling asleep, and not really want to ride or drive for hours especially after dark as I think it then becomes a bit too dangerous.

I do intend to rent a bike and to visit Doi Suthep. So after that I guess I should make my own judgement if I want to ride further.

I know some people love it but I don’t think I would enjoy 4 hours of riding, having to concentrate all the time. Riding something like the Mae HongSon Loop would be too much riding for me – I think.

I was lucky with the Air Asia flights. They started direct flights taking about 1 hour Khon Kaen to CM from  1 Aug. I booked the flights 2 weeks ago. About 1 week ago I looked and there was no availability at all in August. The only other flights mean going to Bangkok first, taking over 6 hours and paying more than double the Air Asia cost.

I have looked a bit at things to do from Chiang Mai but not yet from Chiang Rai. I suspect that Lacessit is right and there are more different sorts of places close to the border, I will investigate.

We do play Petanque almost every day in Khon Kaen, anyone know of a Petanque club in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai?

Thanks again for all your suggestions

Keith

You don't need to book a tour. Unnecessary. Get a bike and have fun. Use the map on the phone.

Places: doi inthanon, 

Chiang dao cave, mae rim, four seasons hotel, doi pui, pai, moncham.....

• Like 1

Thanks again,

Lacessit - I will have a look to visit the Erotic Gardens, could be good for some holiday photos.

A1Str8 – I agree and usually like to be more flexible than a tour allows.

Trujillo – Thanks a lot for all the suggestions, much appreciated. Concerning the Songthaews I am a bit confused on how convenient they are or not. Now deciding with all the help that it is best to travel on the hired motorbike. But I was serious about using a Songthaew because I had looked at this web site

https://www.chiangmaitraveller.com/chiang-mai-public-transport-songthaew/

An extract

The yellow songthaew has specifically designated routes going between Chiang Mai city and the other towns. They do not roam around Chiang Mai city but only wait for passengers at the bus terminal. Here is the routes and bus terminal information of the yellow songthaew:

Route: Chiang Mai – Chom Thong
Depart from: Chang Phueak Bus Terminal
Hours: 8.00am – 16.00pm
Point of interest: Hang Dong district, San Pa Tong district, Wat Phra That Si Chom Tong, and transit to Doi Inthanon National Park, Mae Klang Waterfall, Wachirathan Waterfall.
Fare: 20 – 30 Baht

Route: Chiang Mai – Wiang Kalong – Wiang Pa Pao
Hours: 6.00am – 18.00pm
Point of interest: Khun Chae National Park, Chiang Rai Hot Spring

The orange songthaew plies the route from Chiang Mai to Fang district, where the beautiful Doi Ang Khang National Park is situated.

Route: Chiang Mai – Fang District
Hours: 6.15am – 18.00pm
Point of interest: Doi Ang Khang, Fang Hot Spring
Fare: 40 – 80 Baht

Etc.

So they do travel long distances but I accept they would not always be good for a day trip.

Also the Songthaew that goes to Doi Inthanon I assume would not stop at the waterfalls? I guess?

Sorry if I am being a bit stupid.

Thanks again for all the help

Keith

I second Trujillo's recommendation for Wat Tham (cave temple) in Chiang Dao.

Going further north on the road to Chiang Dao, #107, into Fang, about 10 km. south of Chai Prakan, is Wat Tham Tub Tao which has caves that are, imho, as mysterious and compelling as Chiang Dao.

I can't imagine two-on-a-bike going up the highroad to Doi Ang Khang, but the scenery is beautiful: at 1400 meters elevation, it can be cold at night.

Check these places out on Trip Advisor and other sites for more information.

cheers, ~o:37;

• Like 1

The temple at Doi Saket off the 118 has a series of small billboards with Thai proverbs and sayings in English and Thai, quite interesting.

As far as temples go, Wat Sang Kaew Phothiyan off the 118 near Mae Suai knocks every other temple in the two provinces into a cocked hat. Started by the Engineer Monk, who built the road up to Doi Suthep, it just keeps growing and growing.

You may be able to get the Green Bus to Mae Suai, then get a songthaew from there to the temple.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Chiang Mai actually does not have all that many attractions. Doi Inthanon is a full day return trip by car, there's San Kamphaeng Hot Springs, Doi Suthep, Mae Tang and the Samoeng loop.

Sticky Waterfalls, one of only two in the world.

Huay Tung Tao lake, nice for lunch, waterfall nearby.

Mae wang, waterfalls and elephants.

Queen Sirirat Botanic gardens, free entry for over 50s.

Mon Chairm hilltop gardens.

To name just a few.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Sticky Waterfalls, one of only two in the world.

Huay Tung Tao lake, nice for lunch, waterfall nearby.

Mae wang, waterfalls and elephants.

Queen Sirirat Botanic gardens, free entry for over 50s.

Mon Chairm hilltop gardens.

To name just a few.

I'd agree Mon Cham is worth a visit. I'm talking about top class attractions. Not interested in exploited elephants and tigers.

Never heard of Sticky Waterfalls, where is it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'd agree Mon Cham is worth a visit. I'm talking about top class attractions. Not interested in exploited elephants and tigers.

Never heard of Sticky Waterfalls, where is it?

Google Bua Thong waterfalls. It's about 60kms north of CM on route 1001. Great place to visit, I assume they've open back up by now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will look out and try some Kao Soi kai.

Such a lot of helpful suggestions. Thank you.

Because of what happened concerning Air Asia in that the flights very quickly sold out and also I heard that the VIP Green buses also needed to be booked in advance. I think it’s all due to not being at full capacity straight away after the easing of the lockdown.

So I booked the VIP green bus to Chiang Rai to spend 6 nights in ChiangRai, and also the return trip back to Chiang Mai.

I also reserved all hotel rooms, they can be cancelled without charge but I am quite happy with what I have done for a first visit.

I think this time we will have a good look around Chiang Mai and also join 2 Hash runs during the 9 nights.

If we come again then plan to sleep at other places to make travelling more relaxing and leave the booking of rooms until we need them.

I would not want to visit a zoo but the Elephant Nature Park sounds good.  Visit  Mae Tang at the same time if have enough time.

Definitely  Doi Suthep  and Mok Fa Waterfall 

Maybe ride around the Samoeng Loop

Trujillo, I realise you are right concerning using Songthaews for long trips, they would not be as good own transport.

Thanks for the information concerning the “Hell Temple” …… I will show it to my girl friend but for me I think I would give it a miss, too gruesome.

Now reading comments from orang37 I will try to visit the cave temple as suggested by Trujillo.

I’m now going to get ready to go and earn some money playing Petanque ……. Hopefully.

Cheers

Keith

Ps I haven’t read the few latest posts

Contrary to previous posts we love Pai and go there regularly with our dogs to a couple of dog friendly resorts.

Easy to simply veg for a couple of days but then we all have different requirements from our travels. Plenty of bends on the road, but also quite a few decent "break" areas.

• Like 1

Motorbike to Pai is pleasant but that trip sucks in a car. I can’t imagine doing it in the other ways...nightmare.

Doi Inthanon is good in a car or bike but it takes a while to get there on a bike. 

There are waterfalls all around here but I also recommend the flower gardens...really pretty and easy to get to on a bike. Go when they first open so you can see everything in full bloom. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 8:57 PM, Keith5588 said:

I was lucky with the Air Asia flights. They started direct flights taking about 1 hour Khon Kaen to CM from  1 Aug. I booked the flights 2 weeks ago. About 1 week ago I looked and there was no availability at all in August.

I think you're going to have a problem, since AirAsia has pushed back their start date for Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai. When they first released their schedule, they listed daily flights to a lot of destinations beginning August 1. Since then they have reduced their schedule - but they don't seem to notify passengers of a flight cancelation until closer to departure. 

I was booked on the direct Chiang Mai/Phuket flight on Sunday, August 1, but I noticed they will actually only fly 4 days per week (and not on August 1). It was by chance I noticed. I contacted them by Twitter direct message and told them that I could see my flight had been canceled (even though it still showed it was fine) and they agreed to either move me to Monday's flight or give me a voucher. 

If you start a new booking and use flexible dates, you'll see they are only beginning Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai on Sept 2. I'm certain they aren't flying the route in August. 

1598067715_ScreenShot2020-07-13at4_58_42PM.png.6b1b9c85f3f4accdd520ee4f527d7acb.png

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

I think you're going to have a problem, since AirAsia has pushed back their start date for Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai. When they first released their schedule, they listed daily flights to a lot of destinations beginning August 1. Since then they have reduced their schedule - but they don't seem to notify passengers of a flight cancelation until closer to departure. 

I was booked on the direct Chiang Mai/Phuket flight on Sunday, August 1, but I noticed they will actually only fly 4 days per week (and not on August 1). It was by chance I noticed. I contacted them by Twitter direct message and told them that I could see my flight had been canceled (even though it still showed it was fine) and they agreed to either move me to Monday's flight or give me a voucher. 

If you start a new booking and use flexible dates, you'll see they are only beginning Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai on Sept 2. I'm certain they aren't flying the route in August. 

1598067715_ScreenShot2020-07-13at4_58_42PM.png.6b1b9c85f3f4accdd520ee4f527d7acb.png

Thank you DFPhuket.

I booked Air Asia flight 1 Aug Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai and also flight 21st Aug CM to KK.

This Friday just gone I received an email cancelling only the flight on 21st Aug, the reason being due to covid-19. When I looked at my bookings with Air Asia it still shows the flight for 1 Aug to Chiang Mai but the flight on 21st has been removed. 

I followed instructions and had my money credited as a voucher for the flight on the 21st.  

I then booked a flight with Thai Smile for the 21st, over twice the price and goes via Bangkok.

Now after reading your post I think I should check that my flight on the 1 Aug is actually flying.

Actually I might just wait for 5 more days and do the self check in online which should confirm if the flight is actually flying. I don't think Air Asia would issue me with a boarding pass if the flight was cancelled ........ but you never know.

Thanks for the information

Keith

Thanks again DFPhuket,

I have just logged into Air Asia to check my booking again and I have no upcoming flights.

I click on my Credit Account and just have a blank screen so I don't know how much they have credited me with. 

This is the first time this has happened so I need to calm down and try to learn how best to contact Air Asia.

I just tried and get this automated AVA which just seems to waste time. Maybe it is because I am 67 years old.

After they informed me they were only cancelling my return flight on the 21st I left it a couple of days. My outgoing flight was still showing so I booked the Thai Smile flight.

If I have known Air Asia were cancelling both flights I wouldn't have booked the Thai Smile flight.

I am beginning to hate Air Asia!

5 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Wat Tham and its caves containing Buddhist shrines is a "must". You can explore the cave system but please note "agility" is essential as you have to crawl on all fours in some parts of the system

You can visit the main shrine area inside the cave easily; you can walk down a well lighted and maintained path into the cave for some distance,

In the main shrine area, you'll find guides for hire with lanterns who can take you exploring the cave, and, yes, possibly take you through some narrow passageways.

~o:37;

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1