Fees for obtaining Certificate of Residence

This is because the certificate of residence is not a standardized form (like for example a TM7 or TM30), but was probably invented as a crutch long time ago and nobody ever officially defined it.

For anything else you request from the government (applies to most other countries as well), there is a fee involved. The difference is that these fees are defined somewhere, for example the fee for a driving license, or the fee to register a marriage. If the certificate of residence was such a standardized document it would also have a set fee.

Since this is no officially regulated document you don't have any right to get it. If they just deny you the document there is nothing you can do.

They provide a service to you which they are not obliged to do and expect something in return for it. I agree that 500THB is over the top, but as this is a special service something like 100THB would be OK.

• Like 2

The Certificate of Residence is free in CM, unless you want it within 2 weeks, in which case it is 500 B. (this is from recent reports - not my experience). It is a money making letter.

I went to renew my 5y driver's licence today. The lady told me I needed a letter from my embassy in Bangkok. Unbelievable! The information she showed my very clearly said that (wish I had thought of taking a photo of this information). I believe she meant the one issued by Thai immigration but the information she showed me clearly said my embassy. Luckily my Thai wife explained that has never been required before and after a supervisor came over, my work permit was accepted. I wonder how many foreigners have been sent on a wild goose chase mission?!

The video you need to sit through has a one month waiting list to view though. (Not because it is good!) so ultimately I came home empty handed.

In CM It is free but you have to wait SIX weeks for it....which is fine if you plan well. 

Otherwise it is now 1,000 baht and available the next day.

This is my experience in January 2020.

20 minutes ago, QPRFC said:

In CM It is free but you have to wait SIX weeks for it....which is fine if you plan well. 

Otherwise it is now 1,000 baht and available the next day.

This is my experience in January 2020.

I wasn't offered a 6 weeks option, 500THB for next day, about 2-3 weeks ago in CM.

I read all these reports about fees for various services and shake my head at the blatant attitude of many offices. Nobody in power seems to care though I am sure it has been reported many times, big joke was the last chief who seemingly tried but where is he now. Luckily I live in the right place, my local Immigration only requires a polite request and a smile and a thank you five minutes later when they hand you the certificate.

Just counting I have had five over the past four years, no charge.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 12:15 AM, jackdd said:

They provide a service to you which they are not obliged to do and expect something in return for it. I agree that 500THB is over the top, but as this is a special service something like 100THB would be OK.

The Immigration Dept. has been tasked by the Government to provide a document that other Government Depts. consider to be indispensable for the provision of various services to non-Thai Citizens.

- And if I paid money to a Government-Agency, I would expect to get a receipt in return for my money.  

Edited by andersonat