BANGKOK
Thaivisa Web Content Team

The CAREN Act could make racist 911 calls illegal

Sometimes lawmakers have senses of humor, too.

Shamann Walton, who sits on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, introduced an act on Tuesday that would make it illegal for anyone to make a false and racially-biased 911 call. The ordinance is called the Caution Against Racially Exploitative Non-Emergencies Act—or the CAREN Act. It would also outlaw false police reports based on someone’s ethnicity, religious affiliations, gender, or sexual orientation, according to Forbes.

Walton’s new ordinance captures the zeitgeist, drawing inspiration for its name from the many “Karens” who have recently called the cops on people of color for absolutely no reason, and have subsequently been shamed as the footage went viral.

The CAREN Act press release cites Lisa Alexander, who called the cops on a Filipino man for stenciling “Black Lives Matter” on the front wall of his home, and Amy Cooper, who now faces criminal charges for wrongfully calling the cops on a Black man who was bird watching in Central Park. 

“With the rise of smartphones, there has been an increase of racial profiling and discriminatory incidents recorded and shared on social media and subsequently broadcasted on the news nationwide,” the press release reads. “These are only a few examples that have been publicized recently and there are countless others that do not get news coverage or are not recorded.” 

Full article

• Like 1

So new Police procedure ?

Help, Help, I'm being attacked - Go to the call.

Help, Help, I'm being attacked by a black - Go to call and warn caller

Help, Help, I'm being attacked by a black male - Go to call and fine caller

Help, Help, I'm being attacked by a black male homosexual - Go to call and arrest caller

Help, Help, I'm being attacked by a black male homosexual muslim - Go to call and shoot the caller

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The problem is that the culture in the US and a lot of the world has become lazy and has lost the ability to talk and communicate.  The world for most young people is not one of work for something but one of entitlement because they have always gotten what they wanted or feel that they are owed a great life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

California lost the plot along time ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2020 at 3:43 AM, Thaivisa Web Content Team said:

The CAREN Act press release cites Lisa Alexander, who called the cops on a Filipino man for stenciling “Black Lives Matter” on the front wall of his home

And why exactly is there a problem with calling cops when someone is vandalising your home?

Also wondering... is Lisa a boy's name in the USA now or was the word "his" just a typo?

Oh I see. Maybe I misunderstood the whole thing and it was the Filipino man stencilling BLM on HIS OWN home. That would make more sense as a stupid 911 call.

Edited by Dexxter

Racism is often in the eye of the beholder, so to speak.  It is difficult, if not impossible, to find unbiased views anywhere, these days.

6 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

The problem is that the culture in the US and a lot of the world has become lazy and has lost the ability to talk and communicate.  The world for most young people is not one of work for something but one of entitlement because they have always gotten what they wanted or feel that they are owed a great life.

You nailed that one. 

1 hour ago, maprao said:

California lost the plot along time ago.

Pretty much the whole West coast can walk to that truth. 

• Like 1