Certificate of Entry process (For spouses of Thai citizens)

Hello,

Just want to find out from others who have applied for the Certificate of Entry specificlly on the grounds of re-uniting with Thai spouce.  Have you been approved?  rejected or asked for additional information?   I am asking as I had applied online for this and was promptly contancted the next day and informed that I would to aquire health insureance from a differenct source that could supply a letter in compliance with the requirments. I did get the insurance and a letter that complied with the requiremnts and submitted it again but that was last Thursday and I havent heard anything back in a week.  Is this to be expeccted?  Are these being issued presently, and if so are these flights the same chartered ones that had been doing re-patriation flights last month?

• Thanks 1

Where are you applying? Your response is about what I thought was going to happen. Begin the process online... then you get inundated with corrections that are not timely responded to. Such is how it goes with any governmental procedure it seems right now. I am in the same situation you are. I have been watching closely to see when a good time would be to apply. Looks pretty daunting... I am here on the west coast of the States and here are the requirements through L.A. 

https://thaiconsulatela.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/VISA-NOTICE-Spouse.pdf

Applied via the online form.

About a week later they've asked to update my application with a letter from my insurance company with a statement indicating that it covers Covid-19.

I've submitted what they wanted and heard nothing since then (2 weeks).

Just today I've emailed them with a question about the status of my application.

Their response - wait until you hear back from MFA in Bangkok.

Edited by unheard

1 minute ago, unheard said:

Applied via the online form.

About a week later they've asked to update my application with a letter from my insurance company with a statement indicating that it covers Covid-19.

I've submitted what they wanted and heard nothing since then.

As you went through the online form... what were you required to provide? Of the listed documents, what were you required to provide in this initial application?

2 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

As you went through the online form... what were you required to provide? Of the listed documents, what were you required to provide in this initial application?

Passport copies (yours and wife's), a copy of the marriage certificate, an insurance letter with a policy description, a contact in Thailand and their address, your travel plans...

They don't ask for Fit to Fly or Covid-19 test results when you initially apply.

Just open up the form - you'll see the required fields.

Just now, unheard said:

Passport copies (yours and wife's), a copy of the marriage certificate, an insurance letter with a policy description, a contact in Thailand and their address, your travel plans...

They don't ask for Fit to Fly or Covid-19 test results when you initially apply.

Just open up the form - you'll see the required fields.

Ok. Thanks for the reply. This is what I thought, but I have not gone through the form yet. Good to know what they are asking for for the initial now I can get those together. One more question. The advisory at the L.A. website indicated that all documents needed to be translated to English. I was wondering if our Marriage certificate or her Thai I.D. needed to be officially translated? Maybe later?

1 minute ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Ok. Thanks for the reply. This is what I thought, but I have not gone through the form yet. Good to know what they are asking for for the initial now I can get those together. One more question. The advisory at the L.A. website indicated that all documents needed to be translated to English. I was wondering if our Marriage certificate or her Thai I.D. needed to be officially translated? Maybe later?

An advisory regarding legalization of the documents?

It is surely not applicable to the application form.

The copies of documents they ask on the application go straight to Bangkok.

2 minutes ago, unheard said:

An advisory regarding legalization of the documents?

It is surely not applicable to the application form.

The copies of documents they ask on the application go straight to Bangkok.

Yeah take a look at the link... it's in the section outlining the actual VISA itself...

* All supporting materials that are not in English must be accompanied by certified English translations
  and certified by an Consulate only

https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/visa/visa-type/non-immigration-visa-category-o/

1 hour ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I am also in California but applied through a link I found on the Washinton DC site.   Honestly, I am not too shocked either, and I understand they they may need time to process, just looking to get a better estimate as it's difficult to get insurance for the durration of your stay when you don't know when il will begin. 

In Specific answer to the Ops questions (with the caveat that the UK requirements could be different from elsewhere)

If your health certificate states Cover for complications related to Covid-19 up to (or over) US$100,000 or a certificate stating something similar - that should be sufficient. 

Regarding the flights: The only ‘passenger flights’ being permitted to land in Thailand are the Thai Repatriation flights. 

There are ‘other international flights that can be seen on flight rater, Bkk arrivals webpage etc - but they are not taking passengers. 

I got caught out with an Qatar Airways flight - I was sold a ticket for a flight which was not permitted to take passengers into Thailand (it will be cancelled and I’ll get a refund, or I should !).

So... For now, I (from the UK anyway) its the official repatriation flights only. I’m not sure if thats the same in the US.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

with the caveat that the UK requirements could be different from elsewhere

I have read elsewhere that it very much is dependent which embassy, even for example here in the states, D.C., Chicago or L.A. does make a difference. But your update Richard certainly shows the same core documents with some added updates thanks for your post. I think the bottom line is you just have to start the process where you are at and drudge through what ever the process is. Now consider how the requirements and process are likely to change as we move through time. It's all maddening for sure. 

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So... For now, I (from the UK anyway) its the official repatriation flights only. I’m not sure if thats the same in the US.

Yeah I think it's the same here.  I can go online right now and get a ticket from vairious airlines but I think they are just trying to get a booking that they will eventually cancel this booking and offer it at a later date.  My Missus went on one of these flights (operated by Korean Air) in May and it was a bit more than we normally pay but not outrageous.

Also thanks for the updated information above.  

Edited by vision

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

There have been some updates today. The most signicant of which is that the MFA has relinquished its ‘approval’ responsibilities to the Individual Embassies (for the UK anyway).

Do you have an official statement on that?

My local embassy mentions nothing similar anywhere on the website.

I've emailed them for a status update this morning.

Just got a response: we don't make any decisions - wait for a response from MFA.

Edited by unheard

1 hour ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Yeah take a look at the link... it's in the section outlining the actual VISA itself...

* All supporting materials that are not in English must be accompanied by certified English translations

https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/visa/visa-type/non-immigration-visa-category-o/

It's a separate process handled by the local embassy/consulate.

Initially you're applying for a permission to enter coming from MFA.

When issued the visa will be processed later following the approval.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I think that statement is an error and should  state if not in Thai or English. It is a  official Thai consulate so they certainly have staff that can read Thai. I am not aware of any embassy or official consulate wanting documents in Thai translated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I think that statement is an error and should  state if not in Thai or English. It is a  official Thai consulate so they certainly have staff that can read Thai. I am not aware of any embassy or official consulate wanting documents in Thai translated.

Ahh... Ok. That would make sense. Translation would only be required if NOT in Thai or English. Thanks for the reply Joe. 

2 hours ago, unheard said:

Do you have an official statement on that?

My local embassy mentions nothing similar anywhere on the website.

I've emailed them for a status update this morning.

Just got a response: we don't make any decisions - wait for a response from MFA.

Information I have from a reliable Thai source is that as of yesterday afternoon Bangkok (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) has authorised all overseas offices to issue most categories of COE without sending applications to Bangkok for consideration.

It is possible that Consular staff in some Embassies are not aware of this as of now.

9 minutes ago, rimmae2 said:

Information I have from a reliable Thai source is that as of yesterday afternoon Bangkok (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) has authorised all overseas offices to issue most categories of COE without sending applications to Bangkok for consideration.

It is possible that Consular staff in some Embassies are not aware of this as of now.

Who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

The embassy staff might not have been properly briefed yet on how to respond to inquiries.

As of today their response was still that nothing has changed.

I'll try again next week.

18 minutes ago, rimmae2 said:

Can your source clarify if there's a distinction between the brand new and already filed out and submitted applications?

In other words, do the embassies take over only the newly submitted applications but the ones that are already in Bangkok will proceed as per prior process?

Edited by unheard

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There have been some updates today. The most signicant of which is that the MFA has relinquished its ‘approval’ responsibilities to the Individual Embassies (for the UK anyway). 

The requirements are now as follows: (Copied from the Thai Embassy, UK Web Page).

For family members of Thai nationals (spouse/child/parent)

While Thailand still puts in place travel restriction, spouse or child or parent of a Thai national can apply for the Certificate of Entry to go to Thailand.  

Required documents, which must be submitted by email to [email protected] : 

1. Your passport copy and your spouse's or child’s or your parent's passport copy
  2. A copy of your Thai visa (if already expired, you have to apply for a new one)
  3. Copy of marriage certificate or birth certificate
  4. Copy of health insurance policy which covers COVID related medical treatment and coverage of no less than 100,000 USD
  5. A copy of a hotel booking for Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) at one of the hotels approved by the Thai authorities 
  6. Other supporting documents (if any), such as if you own a property in Thailand
  7. Declaration form, duly completed and signed

If you already have valid visa or re-entry permit, please send your documents for the Certificate of Entry by email to [email protected]

If your visa has expired or you do not have visa, you have to apply for both the Certificatea of Entry and visa at the same time. 

* Documents in 4-7 cannot be uploaded in the e-visa system, so you have to provide hard copies when submitting your passport.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html

What you need to present at airlines check-in counter and upon arrival in Thailand:

1. The Certificate of Entry 
  2. Declaration for
  3. Fit to Fly health certificate (within 72 hours before departure) 
  4. Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID -19 is not detected (COVID test must be by RT-PCR method), issued within 72 hours before departure
  5. Copy of your insurance policy which covers COVID and no less than 100,000 USD
  6. Copy of your confirmed booking at an ASQ hotel
  7. T.8 form 

This is the same thing that the DC Embassy told me today verbally.. Essentially the MFA will no longer make a "case-by-case" determination (as they really have been doing so for the past 1.5 months).. but rather the MFA has; 1) set forth several "groups" of non-nationals that are presently eligible to apply for reentry and 2) the documents required for approval under each of the groups...

Therefore, so long as you qualify under one of the existing groups AND you have all the documents required for that group, the Embassy may now issue the CoE directly, without having to send anything to or seeking the MFA's approval in BKK before hand.  This should, in theory, speed up the overall process..

Also, relative to the US only, the Embassy has been clear that the only option for transport (in July at least) is via one of the scheduled repat flights that are currently planned.. They operate almost weekly, usually on Saturdays, and usually from LAX, JFK, ORD and IAD..  Korean Air and Asiana are the most common airlines used, but there are some Cathay Pacific flights and JAL as well.. Each day fights do operate, there is a daily cap of 200 total people - spread across all the repat flights that operate on that day (not 200 per flight)

In most cases, if you don't live in that city where your repat flight departs from (ie LAX, JFK, ORD, IAD) you have to buy a separate ticket and make your own way to the departure gateway city - and at your risk if the flight/bus/train etc that you chose, is late and due to their lateness you miss the repat flight.  Most people have been given a list of travel agents to contact to arrange, choose and pay for their repat flight... Once you have done so, you get a receipt and that's one of the 4 documents you'll need to upload before the CoE is cut... the ASQ paid booking, covid test and fit2fly being the other 3.

Most people here are being called to tell them they have been approved, then an email shows up with the instructions on how to proceed.. the actual CoE is not issued (by email attachment) until ALL the documents - including your Covid test and fit2fly certificate - have been uploaded and processed. Given the covid test and fit2fly can't be more than 3days/72hrs old by departure time, you really won't get the actual CoE until sometime within 3 days of flight date/time.

Some folks have been told to send their original passports to the embassy as well, together with a pre-stamped express mail envelope... whats not clear is why- as some of these people don't need a new visa as they have a valid extension or visa in their passports already.

Edited by new2here
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, unheard said:
7 hours ago, rimmae2 said:

Who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

The embassy staff might not have been properly briefed yet on how to respond to inquiries.

As of today their response was still that nothing has changed.

I'll try again next week.

This is the same information I received from the Thai Embassy (UK) last night. Local Embassies are now handling the CoE application and approval process. 

This information would have been extremely useful a few weeks ago. At least the steps are now clear and there is the possibility of repatriation flights on 19th and 26th with EVA Air (only business class seats available). 

(Looks like they may have offered all the seats to Thai’s first who filled up Economy, not many takers for the £2500 business seat so they’ve opined up the flights to Foreigners - Just a guess)

Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 11.23.33.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, new2here said:

This is the same thing that the DC Embassy told me today verbally.. Essentially the MFA will no longer make a "case-by-case" determination (as they really have been doing so for the past 1.5 months).. but rather the MFA has; 1) set forth several "groups" of non-nationals that are presently eligible to apply for reentry and 2) the documents required for approval under each of the groups...

Therefore, so long as you qualify under one of the existing groups AND you have all the documents required for that group, the Embassy may now issue the CoE directly, without having to send anything to or seeking the MFA's approval in BKK before hand.  This should, in theory, speed up the overall process..

Thank you for the confirmation.

Do you mind sharing the phone number you used?

How long was the wait?

Thank you.

I've been just told by another poster that he just called the embassy in DC this very morning.

The person on the other end has told him that "nothing has changed, nothing is in effect and just hung up".

to: new2here

would it be possible to share your contact's department description at the embassy and their phone number?

Thank you.

Edited by unheard
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, unheard said:

Can your source clarify if there's a distinction between the brand new and already filed out and submitted applications?

In other words, do the embassies take over only the newly submitted applications but the ones that are already in Bangkok will proceed as per prior process?

Newly submitted and ones that are already in Bangkok will be processed by the Embassy.

• Like 1

Regarding the following my understanding is that case-by-case applies and it has not changed just because the Embassy now makes the decision as to whether to issue a CoE. Other(s) may have different information.

"This is the same thing that the DC Embassy told me today verbally.. Essentially the MFA will no longer make a "case-by-case" determination (as they really have been doing so for the past 1.5 months).. but rather the MFA has; 1) set forth several "groups" of non-nationals that are presently eligible to apply for reentry and 2) the documents required for approval under each of the groups...

Therefore, so long as you qualify under one of the existing groups AND you have all the documents required for that group, the Embassy may now issue the CoE directly, without having to send anything to or seeking the MFA's approval in BKK before hand." 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, rimmae2 said:

Regarding the following my understanding is that case-by-case applies and it has not changed just because the Embassy now makes the decision as to whether to issue a CoE. Other(s) may have different information.

That makes sense.

What doesn't is why the embassy personnel who answer phone calls still in denial (as of early today) and refuse to acknowledge the change in the process.

Must be that the news haven't fully trickled down?

20 minutes ago, unheard said:

That makes sense.

What doesn't is why the embassy personnel who answer phone calls still in denial (as of early today) and refuse to acknowledge the change in the process.

Must be that the news haven't fully trickled down?

Authorization from Bangkok was given yesterday afternoon Thailand time. My information is directly from the Thai Ambassador to the country where I am.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rimmae2 said:

Authorization from Bangkok was given yesterday afternoon Thailand time. My information is directly from the Thai Ambassador to the country where I am.

Just got a response from the embassy stating that they're working on the policy change that will be in effect starting on Monday July 13th.

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/06/22/foreignerswithnono/

Edited by unheard
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, unheard said:

I've been just told by another poster that he just called the embassy in DC this very morning.

The person on the other end has told him that "nothing has changed, nothing is in effect and just hung up".

to: new2here

would it be possible to share your contact's department description at the embassy and their phone number?

Thank you.

We’re dealing with government employees, remember!

There is no incentive for excellence as there is no competition.

Combine this with a potential for some ‘Thainess’ to slip in where ‘I don’t know, I’ll double check’ is not in the repertoire of a junior officer manning the phones & we can see how changes are not confirmed & misinformation is spread. 

I’m not saying that is what happened, but I’d guess that is what happened !!!!

I experienced the very same thing - an experienced immigration officer (at Suvarnabhumi airport) assured me foreigners are arriving on international flights, which was totally incorrect.

The officer in question probably guessed & never left their desk to double & check instead made an assumption rather than saying ‘I don’t know’ (and losing face). 

If I were to guess I’d say the MFA relinquishing the CoE decision making power to the embassies is a universal decision. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1