Certificate of Entry process (For spouses of Thai citizens)

14 hours ago, unheard said:

Have the Kaiser people categorically refused to mention covid-19 in the letter?

Non, not all, actually they assured me that I would be covered and that they could put in a request for a letter to be sent but that the process would take 15 to 30 days plus postal time.   Because I wasnt willing to wait on them to maybe send a letter and it maybe be acceptable I canceled and went another way.

41 minutes ago, vision said:

Non, not all, actually they assured me that I would be covered and that they could put in a request for a letter to be sent but that the process would take 15 to 30 days plus postal time.

Do you have any knowledge on why it would take them so long to issue a letter with a precise wording?

5 minutes ago, unheard said:
49 minutes ago, vision said:

Non, not all, actually they assured me that I would be covered and that they could put in a request for a letter to be sent but that the process would take 15 to 30 days plus postal time.

Do you have any knowledge on why it would take them so long to issue a letter with a precise wording?

That company [Kaiser] seem a bit unhelpful in providing this letter. 

The company I insured with provided me with a Certificate of Cover immediately, even before I’d paid for and had the policy approved by the underwriters. 

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That company [Kaiser] seem a bit unhelpful in providing this letter. 

The company I insured with provided me with a Certificate of Cover immediately, even before I’d paid for and had the policy approved by the underwriters. 

It seems there's an unknown to me reason for why some insurance companies refuse to mention Covid-19 on the policy letter, even if they cover it.

The conversion goes like this:

Do you cover-19 under the policy?

We cover any illness related expenses.

Can you put it in writing in a letter?

We'll issue a letter stating that we cover any illness but we won't specifically mention Covid-19.

Edited by unheard

On 7/10/2020 at 3:34 AM, rimmae2 said:

Information I have from a reliable Thai source is that as of yesterday afternoon Bangkok (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) has authorised all overseas offices to issue most categories of COE without sending applications to Bangkok for consideration.

It is possible that Consular staff in some Embassies are not aware of this as of now.

I heard the same.

This would reduce the lead time for CoE.

Major bottleneck still remains that CoE pax, can fly only on repatriation flights, which are scarce

13 minutes ago, unheard said:

It seems there's an unknown to me reason for why some insurance companies refuse to mention Covid-19 on the policy letter, even if they cover it.

We'll issue a letter stating that we cover any illness but we won't specifically mention Covid-19.

I’ve had similar trying to confirm whether my (previous) insurance company would cover me for skiing. 

They would not commit and were deliberately vague and commented that they’d make any decision on cover only after receiving medical report !!! (if I were to have an accident while skiing).... I argued that this was like having car insurance but not knowing we are covered until after the results of an accident were known !!!! 

Why some Insurance covers cannot be clear outlining that they provide cover for Covid-19 is extremely odd. Either they don’t know because they have not been able to confirm with the underwriter or they are looking for ‘wiggle room’ and wish to remain vague. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, unheard said:

This is eaxctly the issue I had with Kaiser.  While personally I'm sure they would cover Covid they didn't write it into the policy as such and because of their lawyers they cannot make statments beyond what the policy states without running it by a lawyer first.  this is what takes the time and as I didn't want to wait around for that I went for a smaller and more agile company.

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
off topic comment removed

I just recieved an email asking me to send my passport, 2 photos and money order along with self addressed return envelope to the Thai consulate in LA and letting me know of 3 available flights at the end of the month.   Does this mean they are moving away from the COE process and instead processing everything through the visa process with some additions?

44 minutes ago, vision said:

I just recieved an email asking me to send my passport, 2 photos and money order along with self addressed return envelope to the Thai consulate in LA and letting me know of 3 available flights at the end of the month.   Does this mean they are moving away from the COE process and instead processing everything through the visa process with some additions?

Sounds like you got one, man!

Congrats!!!

I think it means that you got approved.

Now you're being moved into the pool of applicants that have been approved in principal but have to get the rest of the process rolling (ASQ room, flight) to get to the final step of obtaining Covid-19, Fit-to-Fly certificates.

Only after providing those you'll be granted a COE.

Edited by unheard

1 minute ago, unheard said:

Mind sharing with us your date of application?

Thank you

I originally applied on June 26th but I submitted my Kaiser policy and they didn't accept that (as detailed above) so I believe it was the 2nd of July that I got all the documentaion to them per requirements.  That 12 day lag is a bit missleading of a timeline though as it includes 2 weekends a USA Holiday and 2 Thai holidays so I would expect most people would get a much quicker turn around.

15 minutes ago, vision said:

I originally applied on June 26th but I submitted my Kaiser policy and they didn't accept that (as detailed above) so I believe it was the 2nd of July that I got all the documentaion to them per requirements.  That 12 day lag is a bit missleading of a timeline though as it includes 2 weekends a USA Holiday and 2 Thai holidays so I would expect most people would get a much quicker turn around.

Shortly after I've submitted my insurance policy without a clearly written letter they've asked me to resubmit, which I did and then heard nothing since.

Initially I've assumed since I haven't heard anything since that event then they must be OK with my policy.

Now I'm not so sure.

6 minutes ago, unheard said:

Shortly after I've submitted my insurance policy without a clearly written letter they've asked me to resubmit, which I did and then heard nothing since.

Initially I've assumed since I haven't heard anything since that event then they must be OK with my policy.

Now I'm not so sure.

I totally understand the second guessing as I assume your in the situation as me where you want to see your wife and not being sure what is going on makes it a lot harder but my money is on that you should hear something today or tomorrow either way.  

I have an insurance with full COVID coverage, but the insurance company does not issue a letter specifying it. So I had to buy a new insurance, and found the site insubuy.com, which proposed me an insurance for 1.5 months at a price of 78 USD. The coverage is 100 K and the insurance letter could be printed out right away with the text "Covid 19: Covered same as any other illness to the above mentioned Medical Maximum." The insurance was issued by Trawick International.

I do not recommend anything but just to let anyone know if you are looking for an insurance letter with Covid-19 mentioned specifically. For me the contents of the insurance are meaningless as I have my 'permanent' travel insurance anyway.

Edited by somtumwrong
  • Thanks 1

Just a bump and one small new piece of information for US citizens is that they have added new flights to LAX.  One from Cathay on the 19th and one from Korean Air on the 22nd.  

I have just sent what I hope is the complete 2nd submission in so if this approved I can go get my Covid test and complete my 3 set of submission documents within 72 hours of flight. 

38 minutes ago, vision said:

have just sent what I hope is the complete 2nd submission in so if this approved I can go get my Covid test and complete my 3 set of submission documents within 72 hours of flight. 

First up best of luck. 

The recent issue with soldier from Egypt won't help folk trying to return to Thailand.

I have couple of married to Thai in AU.

I can't see them getting back for LONG time. Still many Thai trying to return.

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The recent issue with soldier from Egypt won't help folk trying to return to Thailand.

While to my mind since we are already doing a quaratine this incident shouldn't have impact on any of us.  As it involoves politics and money you can't rule anything out.  ????

I think there are still some Thai's leaving here but they have already flown a lot of flights out of the US and Thais chosing to leave here now are only the ones that haddn't made any effort previously.  I think a lot of them were hesitant as there will not be many options to get back when things turn around.

7 minutes ago, vision said:

While to my mind since we are already doing a quaratine this incident shouldn't have impact on any of us.  As it involoves politics and money you can't rule anything out.  ????

I think there are still some Thai's leaving here but they have already flown a lot of flights out of the US and Thais chosing to leave here now are only the ones that haddn't made any effort previously.  I think a lot of them were hesitant as there will not be many options to get back when things turn around.

I see it differently. I'm thinking it's always been about capacity. Thailand does not have capacity to cope with hotel quarantine and manage it on large scale. This has been demonstrated in Melbourne Australia. 

As for Thai nationals numbers still waiting to return are (imo) much larger than you imply. 

There are threads on TVF news section where there are calls not to have foreigners enter Thailand.

As for the Egyptian guy, you would think logically it should have zero to do with returns Xpats, however it's always about politics. Leaders feel they need to be seen doing something. The banning of flights from Egypt one example.

Already 3 proviences have impose 14 day isolation on people from Rayong.

Sadly I think it will be long hard effort to re-enter Thailand.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 8:35 PM, vision said:

I used a company called Insubuy: https://www.insubuy.com/

Whoever you get you will need to ensure they will give you a letter that will explicitly say that it covers Covid and the amount of 100K USD.

The below list was offered to me by an agent at the LA Consulate:

Health Insurance Policy Requirement (Statement must show the following)

1. Must provide coverage of at least $100,000US

2. Must indicate coverage includes COVID-19 treatment(s)

3. Must indicate policy provides coverage in Thailand

4. Must be valid for the duration of your stay

Thanks for this great info.  I'm just starting the process of retiring in Thailand with my Thai wife.

My plan is get the COE, fly to BKK, quarantine, get extension of stay based on marriage in CM.

I haven't yet acquired COVID insurance and have a couple of questions:

- Thailand stipulates that COVID insurance must cover the entire period of stay which for the Non Imm O visa would be only 90 days, is that correct?

- were you able to purchase your COVID insurance for just the 90 days?

- would you share what company you chose through the insubuy website?

- I wouldn't require more than 90 days coverage as insurance is not required after I get marriage extension?

Edited by gamb00ler

1 hour ago, Wars said:

https://thaiembdc.org/visas/ seems like they updated the thai embassy website even includes the repatriation flights 

Regarding flights to Thailand, please be advised that normal commercial passenger flights into Thailand have been suspended until further notice. Nevertheless, the Thai Government organizes repatriation flights for Thai nationals to return to Thailand on a regular basis. For the coming month, repatriation flights on various airlines have been scheduled for the following days:

Arriving in Thailand on 20 July 2020 – Cathay Pacific

Arriving in Thailand on 23 July 2020 – Korean Air

Arriving in Thailand on 25 July 2020 – Korean Air

Arriving in Thailand on 27 July 2020 – Japan Airlines/American Airlines

Arriving in Thailand on 28 July 2020 – Asiana

Arriving in Thailand on 31 July 2020 – Cathay Pacific and Japan Airlines/American Airlines

If you wish to travel to Thailand on one of the above flights, please contact the travel agents authorized by the airlines directly to see if they can accommodate you.

Does anyone know if those flights appear on the airline websites?  I ask because the Embassy website doesn't specify where those flights originate.  Are they all from DC?

I tried Cathay's website looking for the July 20 flight but couldn't find a flight from any DC airport to BKK on that date.

Edited by gamb00ler
update

6 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Does anyone know if those flights appear on the airline websites?  I ask because the Embassy website doesn't specify where those flights originate.  Are they all from DC?

I tried Cathay's website looking for the July 20 flight but couldn't find a flight from any DC airport to BKK on that date.

The embassy/consulate will supply you with info on several contracted by them travel agencies.

You'll be contacting that designated agency to book tickets.

And why are you trying to book a flight?

Since you don't have a permission to enter you shouldn't worry about that for now.

8 minutes ago, unheard said:

The embassy/consulate will supply you with info on several contracted by them travel agencies.

You'll be contacting that designated agency to book tickets.

And why are you trying to book a flight?

Since you don't have a permission to enter you shouldn't worry about that for now.

The poster "Wars" listed 6 repatriation flights but the departing city was not given.  I was trying to find out if some of those flights were from LAX.  Our situation is more complicated in that we must also co-ordinate with shipping our container.  Because of that I was hoping to have a better idea of how flexible the flight schedules may be.

On 7/10/2020 at 1:27 PM, richard_smith237 said:

This is the same information I received from the Thai Embassy (UK) last night. Local Embassies are now handling the CoE application and approval process. 

This information would have been extremely useful a few weeks ago. At least the steps are now clear and there is the possibility of repatriation flights on 19th and 26th with EVA Air (only business class seats available). 

(Looks like they may have offered all the seats to Thai’s first who filled up Economy, not many takers for the £2500 business seat so they’ve opined up the flights to Foreigners - Just a guess)

Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 11.23.33.png

Great update @richard_smith237 as I also need to route via London (currently in Africa but embassies here are not planning any flights).  Have you seen a list of flights to Bangkok out of the UK that that Thais are organising?  I contacted the Thai Embassy in Doha just in case flights with Qatar Airways re-start from my current location and I can avoid the UK, but they didn't respond.

42 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

The poster "Wars" listed 6 repatriation flights but the departing city was not given.  I was trying to find out if some of those flights were from LAX.  Our situation is more complicated in that we must also co-ordinate with shipping our container.  Because of that I was hoping to have a better idea of how flexible the flight schedules may be.

Yes, there's a number of flights departing LAX.

I think there were 7 flights scheduled for the month.

The August schedule should be out before the month's end.

They can be booked only after an approval given by your consulate.

Edited by unheard

39 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Our situation is more complicated in that we must also co-ordinate with shipping our container. 

It will take no less than couple of weeks for the container (household items?) to arrive in Bangkok.

I don't know what exactly your plan is but it wouldn't be wise to send the container out before knowing and booking your flight.

And the only way to get to that point is to get an approval from your consulate.

It seems a lot of posters here think that it is a given as long as you belong to the chosen group.

The reality is only a handful of  applicants, so far, got approved out of those that applied as a spouse of a Thai national.

Many have been waiting for more than a month already.

Edited by unheard

1 hour ago, unheard said:

It will take no less than couple of weeks for the container (household items?) to arrive in Bangkok.

I don't know what exactly your plan is but it wouldn't be wise to send the container out before knowing and booking your flight.

And the only way to get to that point is to get an approval from your consulate.

It seems a lot of posters here think that it is a given as long as you belong to the chosen group.

The reality is only a handful of  applicants, so far, got approved out of those that applied as a spouse of a Thai national.

Many have been waiting for more than a month already.

We have contingency plans for various situations.  For instance, we can load up the container, have the shipping company hold it until we will clearly be able to arrive in Thailand before it.  They charge per diem, but convenience is worth it.  Once loaded and waiting for COE/flight we can spend a little time traveling to pass the time.  We also are prepping our house for sale, selling car+motorcycles.... lots of juggling in our future.

13 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

More likely, they depart mostly from the West Coast. I would guess Cathay would depart LAX.

The new form is up on the DC website: https://thaiembdc.org/onlinevisaapplication/

They seem to now require that you book the flight and the ASQ hotel before submitting your application.

I guess if they don't approve you in time or at all, you just lose your money...

• Like 1