UK Pension.

Iam getting ready to apply for the UK state pension, in the sections where they require information on living abroad Iam not sure what to put.

Basically I had some very long holidays back from 2009, I married a Thai but returned to the UK  for work and family. I left for good in August 2017, after a one year stay. I still have a UK address and bank account. 

Should I tell all the dates or just the last one when I moved here on a more permanent basis.

3 minutes ago, dasboot said:

Yes full stamp, in this day and age every single penny counts, I really don't want them to reduce what little payments there are if I can help it.

So if you use your UK details you will get the £3 a week increase every year. Get it paid into your UK account, then Transferwise each month.

• Like 2

If you still have an address in the UK use that address as you will get an index linked pension. If you haven’t paid the full quota of NH contributions you can buy the shortfall quite cheaply. I moved to the Philippines and my pension increased by £140 a month. For some reason people living in the Philippines get an index linked pension. Then because mail to the Philippines often gets lost I got a friend of mine in England to enable me to use his address as a forwarding address. The Pension Office uses Skype to contact me and I still have a Filipino mobile number.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I am taxed on my 3 U.K. pensions so it would not be wise of me to give a U.K. address when they know where I am but if you are only collecting your Pension and nothing else this would mean paying no income tax and in that case I would give a U.K. address . You can do it over the phone it takes 5 minutes if you have skype you can call on a free phone number they don’t even know where your calling from the office opens 8 am every morning Monday to Friday  I have been collecting my pension for 3 years I currently receive £125 if I had of given a U.K. address I would be getting £135 per week my other two pensions are increased yearly regardless where I live . My wife is on the current scheme so she get £175 per week so you should get the same and we still have the triple lock unless that gets stopped in the Autumn budget   

44 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

If you still have an address in the UK use that address as you will get an index linked pension. If you haven’t paid the full quota of NH contributions you can buy the shortfall quite cheaply. I moved to the Philippines and my pension increased by £140 a month. For some reason people living in the Philippines get an index linked pension. Then because mail to the Philippines often gets lost I got a friend of mine in England to enable me to use his address as a forwarding address. The Pension Office uses Skype to contact me and I still have a Filipino mobile number.

The U.K. have a reciprocal agreement with the Philippines so you get your increase every year sadly that is not the case with Thailand so the pension is frozen unless you tell a porkie pie and give a U.K. address

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Surasak said:

Only one thing wrong with not telling the truth if you are at present still in Thailand. All snail mail correspondence will go to your UK address. If that then requires your signature, 2 weeks turnaround for mail will set bell wringing.

I don’t cheat the system but I can tell you that I don’t receive any mail from DWP the only mail I get is from HMRC as I am clobbered for U.K. Tax due to having 3 different pensions and although I have a HMRC app they insist on sending out my P60 out by mail each year

You say you have not yet claimed perhaps since you say you had some long holidays since 2009 it would be worthwhile to check online you’re pension forecast if you have gaps in you,re ni contributions you can pay the missing years.

remember 1 extra years payments can give you an extra £5 per week 

I am short and asked if I can pay class 2 contributions (£156) per year instead of £795. It was accepted but even @£795 an extra £5 x how many years missing adds up after 3 years pension you have voluntary contributions payments returned by higher pension .

only downside if die before 3 years you lose out but it’s a risk hee hee 

2 Nd point I may be wrong but when you say £3 increase it is actually cost of living or 2% whichever is higher meaning 2% of £175 is £3.50 next year 2%of £178.50 is £3.57 etc ect

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah some do it but some have been caught,  it's bad enough when you don't get any proof of life form that IPC say they sent you and your UK pension is withheld which has happened to me twice,  even ringing them up and giving all ID details they will resume payment but only until they receive the life form what would happen if I told lies and got  caught all over a meansily rise it isn't worth it to me either.

The exchange rate is what's to moan about if you ask me not at all a frozen pension which I knew about before I retired here.  

Garbage,show one person,just one who has been "caught",not voluntary informing either ,and the "punishment?  none!  Do a freedom of Information request  lol...The supposing expert in the other thread was wrong,but thread was stopped by mods before it could be pointed out.

Says in visa in passport "temporary stay in Kingdom"    good enough

Ill ask one more time ,seeing as your acknowledgedly well informed on the people "caught" perhaps you could refresh my knowledge and point out just one instance,go on give it a go,promise I will not challenge your good self again   cheers    No flimflamming please

Edited by izod10
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Oh dear !! another know it all fraudster.

Surely then,you surely know "fraud "  when you see it    Now I stated "no flimflamming" and off you go instantly  lol  just the people you know who have been "caught"?

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, kingdong said:

i,d be carefull about saying you live in uk when you,re actually living in thailand,its a !ot easier for authorities to check these days and the way the government's been throwing money around due to corona,will be looking to balance the books soon and ,you,ll be a lot easier to find than some illegal migrant thats gone under the radar,also watch out for some slag grassing you up.

True,last statement,but so what?  The need to read the DWP website where it states..."a pensioner cannot be held liable to a fraud on his own pension".....plus a host of other statements...and if the expert crops up just what does a 1928 declaration have to do with a table 2 (no action/punishment) scenario

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah some do it but some have been caught,  it's bad enough when you don't get any proof of life form that IPC say they sent you and your UK pension is withheld which has happened to me twice,  even ringing them up and giving all ID details they will resume payment but only until they receive the life form what would happen if I told lies and got  caught all over a meansily rise it isn't worth it to me either.

The exchange rate is what's to moan about if you ask me not at all a frozen pension which I knew about before I retired here.  

Do they want proof of life of you are registered as being in the UK...??? I thought it's only required for overseas pensioners

• Like 2
1 minute ago, baansgr said:

Do they want proof of life of you are registered as being in the UK...??? I thought it's only required for overseas pensioners

"Proof of life"  people shift addresses all the time,UK and everywhere,especially now when disruption is all around.   Try using  .Gov.UK website,ask anything  (have to put NI number in to gain access) but does computerise your existence.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Guderian said:

I'm honest and like to sleep well at night, so from the moment I moved out here I told both HMRC and DWP that I had moved to Thailand.

Of course, if you have significant income outside the UK then it pays to become officially non-resident for tax. I reckon that my status has saved my from paying over £120K in UK tax over the last 15 years. HMRC and DWP share much of their data nowadays, so you won't get away with being non-resident for tax but resident for the state pension indexation. Anyway, having already saved so much by being non-resident for tax, and still saving money every day I stay in Thailand, I'm not going to quibble about losing a few quid a year in indexation on my pension.

Similar story here, posted overseas by a UK company & got Non-Resident for Tax purposes status as soon as I could as not only did this mean I could reclaim PAYE paid in the UK (I'd already paid Tax on my income in Singapore, at 1/4 the rate, which was covered under a double taxation agreement), but it also meant I didn't have to pay Higher Rate Tax on my dividends or Capital Gains tax (excluding property). 

Curious as to whether you renew your UK Driving license? In the end I decided to err on the side of caution and not do it (haven't had a license since 2013), but know a few people in a similar situation who renewed theirs with no come back. 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Proof of life is only required from people who have declared they don't live in the UK.

If you'd told them you lived in the UK, you wouldn't have had your pension stopped.

The IPC already knew from the UK Inland Revenue HMRC. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Dunno ask the TV mafia here there on the scene making out their clever.

• Haha 1