Immigration confirm Muang Thong Thani office to reopen amid speculation visa amnesty will not be extended

Immigration confirm Muang Thong Thani office to reopen amid speculation visa amnesty will not be extended

imageproxy.jpg

vc.jpg

Pictures: Naew Na

Thailand's Region 1 immigration have confirmed that the temporary visa office in the Muang Thong Housing estate in Nonthaburi will reopen next Monday, July 13th.

The office will handle 90 day reports, address reports and short extensions of stay. 

Naew Na said it was reopening under the orders of immigration chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang as he cares about foreigners in Thailand. 

It will help to ease pressure on the main immigration center at the Government Complex a few kilometers away on the other side of Chaeng Wattana Road in northern Bangkok. 

The media said that with the amnesty on visas expected to come to an end at the end of July it was felt that the Government Complex could become overcrowded.

In order to not compromise arrangements like social distancing the temporary office will resume operations much as it did earlier in the year at the height of the pandemic.

The news comes as foreigners in Thailand are eagerly awaiting news regarding the current visa amnesty which at the time of publishing is due to end on 31 July.

Some have speculated that the re-opening of the temporary immigration office may be an indication that the visa amnesty will not be extended beyond its current expiry date.

However, no official announcement regarding the visa amnesty post 31 July has yet been made. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-10

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

So now that this has been done, where do I go if I already had an appointment scheduled for next Tuesday, July 14, to process my 90-day report?  The appointment still shows Counter B-65 at Government complex.    (I always do it online, but with the app and website down for the past 2 weeks I was unable to process it that way.)  

Admin- Feel free to move this if I need to post it elsewhere.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, webfact said:

Some have speculated that the re-opening of the temporary immigration office may be an indication that the visa amnesty will not be extended beyond its current expiry date.

if that is the case then they need to let people know now and what it is they are expecting them to do by 31st July and after

• Like 1

That graphic from TI immigration says "Notification of residence, Counter B."
As I recall, counter B was for the TM-30 notification, right?
What counter at CW is for certificate of residence, the thing you need to get driver's license renewed?

1 minute ago, Walker88 said:

which means if the amnesty is terminated, there will be a lot of people living the Tom Hanks "Terminal" movie role at Suvarnabhumi.

This happened to one poor Estonian in the PI. He is stuck there since they will only allow him to fly home on the airline on which he flew into Manila. He flew AirAsia from Bangkok and they are not flying now. Even if they did they don't fly to Estonia.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/07/man-has-trapped-philippines-airport-110-days-12955321/?fbclid=IwAR0LADAMHioAZgXbP8tM8ilnQoDJ-1EMX2bdpwH41o_LKa_B1zvPoI99wdY

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, SymS said:

What about 90-day reporting? When do we need to do it again?

After July 31st. Immigration will announce when they are due. Some office have stated it will be due 90 days from when your last report was due.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It's very typical that they don't just make a decision and tell people what exactly is going on. The 31st is only three weeks away and with flights in and out non existent they need to come up with something.

Even on the last week a given 30 days extension could be enough to take a flight out of BKK.... single flights available …..but not the return ticket many could not use ….for that a voucher will be available .

I expect a extension to be given , but in person …., as now they loose their so favorite tracking for foreigners whereabouts ! 

Hence the extra immigration office capacity 

• Like 1