Is Kampot the Kingdom’s latest hotspot?

geovalin

With the steep decline in tourist numbers throughout Cambodia, there are questions over how businesses will keep their heads above water. Because of the COVID-19 outbreak, a number of businesses around Cambodia are feeling the effects on their business. But one usually quieter town seems to be booming: Kampot. expatriates and locals alike have decided to head to one of the country’s most renowned beauty spots.

Kampot is a small, clean town built around the Prek Toek Chhou River. This river compared with the Tonle Sap is relatively clean and people even swim in it. The town also boasts lots of attractive French architecture dating back to the first half of the 20th century and, until the 1950s, Kampot was Cambodia’s main port.

These days the town is full of a variety of lively bars and restaurants and even hosts big events attracting international DJs. That, along with the natural beauty of the place with its waterfalls, mountain views and national parks, leave it clear as to why people are flocking there. Johny Kort owner of Yellow Sun Hostel, Kampot, said: “Since the re-opening of a lot of bars and restaurants in Kampot, we have had a lot of customers both local and Western check into our hostel. We have adapted the business so that it stays profitable but also makes things affordable for the people staying with us.”

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50743468/is-kampot-the-kingdoms-latest-hotspot/

2 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

Someone I know visited Kampot last week and told me many of the bars and restaurants were closed. Advertising BS.

That is what I thought. Kampot relies heavily on Western tourists, much less on expats. 

11 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

As it stands, the Chinese have ruined tourism worldwide already. 

Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia are destined to become Chinese holiday camps, it’s only a matter of time. 

Not sure about Vietnam, relations with china are not so rosy.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 9:31 AM, geovalin said:

Since the re-opening of a lot of bars and restaurants in Kampot,

Interesting, to my knowledge bars and restaurants have never been closed - many have remained open here in Siem Reap and Battambang, other than those dependent solely on foreign tourists which are still closed. Never been an alcohol ban here in Cambodia.