Noisy Neighbors

WineOh

On 7/10/2020 at 4:18 AM, 2long said:

We are SO lucky that our neighbours are great (all Thai) and we make the most noise, although I try to keep my mob under control.

As was once said to me 'their right to make a noise is greater or at least equal to our right to peace and quiet.'

Many Thais just don't get it because they don't get bothered by it... and of course highlighting it will cause loss of face or confusion or friction, or them thinking you're an idiot, but probably all four.

As was once said to me 'their right to make a noise is greater or at least equal to our right to peace and quiet.'

WRONG!!!

For one...There are Decibel limits on noise being made,there are no limits on how quiet you can be!  End Of!   Shhhhh....TIT.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

As was once said to me 'their right to make a noise is greater or at least equal to our right to peace and quiet.'

WRONG!!!

For one...There are Decibel limits on noise being made,there are no limits on how quiet you can be!  End Of!   Shhhhh....TIT.

Did you read that before you wrote it?  Surely the limit on how quiet you can be is silence!  

We have 5 rai on the edge of town and have been lucky for the last 5 years. But now we are slowly getting built out. Five new houses have been built in the last year adjacent to our boundary line with all the attendant noise. 

Worse, with the government hand-outs of 5,000 Baht there have been non-stop parties over the last 4 months. The old man next door, who is half-deaf, shouted himself a ghetto blaster when he got his money. He plays it full blast any time of day. Thank god it doesn't have any bass speakers so it doesn't penetrate the house. 

Worse than the noise is the near constant filling of land against our concrete wall. We filled one metre 6 years ago. Now everyone next door wants higher than that and are filling to 2 metres. So our concrete boundary fence is now meant to function as a retaining wall for the neighbours. I'm not sure what will happen once we finally get a decent flood of rain.

My wife doesn't notice the noise or other disturbances. If I draw it to her attention she just says 'their land they can do what they want'. Then she turns up the TV even more.

You just been lucky up to now in your stay in Thailand welcome to the real Thailand!  All you can do is wait it out but remember they got to sleep at some point from what you indicated when you are up  start balking, drop your pots and pans, call out loud to everyone and start up your car engine or bike rpm up! And when they complain smile and say " mai pen rai "  like they say pay back is a bitch!

Edited by thailand49

12 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

A good pair of speakers aimed at their window at 6am, playing Wagners "Ride of the Valkyries" , on repeat, go out for few hours, 

If you make noise it should be something they understand. Play a few hours of the general yapping on. I'm sure there's hours of footage to direct their way. If they are supporters of his, change to good old Taksin for ammunition.

On 7/10/2020 at 10:07 AM, bkk6060 said:

Another disdvantage of living in a house on a Soi.  Noisy and claustophobic.

Maybe get out and move into a nice higher end Condo with good security, no animals, no car noise, no kids, etc.

PS:  If you cannot sleep try a good powerful fan.

Living in condo is far more riskier for noisy neighbours.

But ive never had any problem at my condo,only barking soi dogs occasionaly.

8 hours ago, transam said:

Just buy a good loud sound system and continuously play Hendrix or The Who stuff, they will probably move.....????..................????

He could play Peltin Elton or Michael Jackson, then it would not have to be loud. ????

9 minutes ago, murraynz said:

Living in condo is far more riskier for noisy neighbours.

But ive never had any problem at my condo,only barking soi dogs occasionaly.

The problem with condos is neighbours on  all sides and up/down.

When Ive bought ive always gone for the top  floor  to avoid some of it and a corner  unit.

Edited by bodga

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

He could play Peltin Elton or Michael Jackson, then it would not have to be loud. ????

Where I live they like those two, in fact last week I sang a couple of Sirs songs to admiring locals........:guitar:............................:wub:

• Haha 1

Can't wait to read about the devastation liverrpoolfan unleashes on this Thai man...I bet it will be nuclear...epic...blood in the streets for days....bigger than the BLM US riots.????

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, CGW said:

I can confirm that "Mozart's greatest pieces" also works! Thai's hate classical music, especially when played at full volume ???? 

Blast 'em with K583, as used in the good woman of Bangkok film ???? Mrs pointed out a news item this week where a nutter stabbed to death a father in a wedding parade as they were playing luktung which he hated, instead of morlam. He had served several years in prison for killing a neighbor for the same thing. Wedding was cancelled and a funeral replaced it.

9 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Farang Lives matter too Mike!! ????????

Can't wait to see a bunch of geriatric farangs marching down Sukhumvit

...walkers and oxygen tanks at the ready lol

Maybe a bit of looting of Tops & that rather good bagel shop, which I forget the name of on the way might be in order too!

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Haha 1

The OP should get himself a Tshirt with 'Why Always Me?' in English and Thai. That might elicit some degree of sympathy.   Given all his other topics in a similar vein, I would suggest a dozen or more would be needed. 

If that doesn't help, mentioning he is a Liverpool supporter might just work....:biggrin:

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2020 at 10:46 AM, OneeyedJohn said:

What else, agh yes, the local headman boring everyone to death with his announcments over loadspeakers almost everyday.

I think the village speaker system works very well, informing those in the area of things that affect them. Such as electric will be off all day while new pylons are installed, a van will be in the village to give free check-ups, Somchai's house has burned down and if anyone has any clothes, cooking utensils they could spare.... Stuff like that.

What I don't agree with is five minutes of screeching Thai music as a prelude, or endless reading out who gave how much to the temple etc.

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think the village speaker system works very well, informing those in the area of things that affect them. Such as electric will be off all day while new pylons are installed, a van will be in the village to give free check-ups, Somchai's house has burned down and if anyone has any clothes, cooking utensils they could spare.... Stuff like that.

What I don't agree with is five minutes of screeching Thai music as a prelude, or endless reading out who gave how much to the temple etc.

Well you better get used to the screeching music, we'll all have long since turned to dust before they give up that!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

"Attention Everybody. There will be noisy loudspeaker announcements from 6.30 am tomorrow that could be disturbing for some. Also note Somchai has donated 50 Baht to the Wat and his house burned down, he needs clothes, forks, spoons and a new ashtray. Thank you and Good Morning."

Edited by Logosone

13 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Can't wait to see a bunch of geriatric farangs marching down Sukhumvit

...walkers and oxygen tanks at the ready lol

Maybe a bit of looting of Tops & that rather good bagel shop, which I forget the name of on the way might be in order too!

You joining us then, mate? ????????

9 hours ago, transam said:

Just buy a good loud sound system and continuously play Hendrix or The Who stuff, they will probably move.....????..................????

well,  for me it would be John Denver or the maybe even Elton John  that might make me move   LOL

13 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well you better get used to the screeching music, we'll all have long since turned to dust before they give up that!

Have to say, since the Covid "agenda" commenced been quiet where I am, no late night music, barely hear the village Tanoy as outside a ways but not noticed that recently! Mind, double glazing and staying inside with the AC on does tend to reduce the noise level, but definitely been quieter.

Be thankful for small mercies?

• Like 1

I have a nice neighbor but the other night he Is hammering at 11pm......it didn’t last very long. My main bugaboo is next door neighbor with three dogs that sometimes bark all night off and on. Talked with her but she does nothing, and the dogs are dumber than her. Debated poisoning them. Looking for a slingshot and will fire ice cubes at them.....right now throw ice off my balcony at them. One person suggested fireworks. All the neighbors hate the dumb dogs.....they will start howling in the night for no reason. Eventually they will die, but that will take years, and my patience is running out the more sleep I lose. It seems to me Thais have no consideration of other people.

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

I have a nice neighbor but the other night he Is hammering at 11pm......it didn’t last very long. My main bugaboo is next door neighbor with three dogs that sometimes bark all night off and on. Talked with her but she does nothing, and the dogs are dumber than her. Debated poisoning them. Looking for a slingshot and will fire ice cubes at them.....right now throw ice off my balcony at them. One person suggested fireworks. All the neighbors hate the dumb dogs.....they will start howling in the night for no reason. Eventually they will die, but that will take years, and my patience is running out the more sleep I lose. It seems to me Thais have no consideration of other people.

Same here, four dogs howling at night. Fantastically annoying.

Thank goodness you followed the sound advice of your fellow TVF members by NEVER, EVER buying property in Thailand. As such you simply move out and rent elsewhere. Case closed. 

Hang on a minute.....you didn’t buy, did you?!?!?!?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

Take no comfort in them dying, they will only replace them. Have you thought of ultra sonic boxes? works for some dogs but you have to have a direct line of sight.