Chaingrai Property / Land Prices

Clicker

Slightly off topic here, however, I guess this is the best place to ask? Do any of you CM guys have any info on land / property prices in Chaingrai? Similarly, does anyone know of any real estate agents with web sites in CR? Have looked but been unable to come up with any.

Also does anyone have any experiences of buying repossed property from banks?

Any info appreciated:)

Clicker

Check past threads on this, it has come up a few times for Chiang Mai (including buying reposessed land from banks) amd I think most thoughts and opinions that were expressed are valid for Chiang Rai as well.

(Don't let that stop anyone from adding Chiang Rai specifric info here though, there's no 'Chiang Rai' forum on Thaivisa.com so might as well discuss it here.)

(Maybe I should go have a talk with george to expand this sub-forum from Chiang Mai to the whole North, and thus increase my virtual turf.. :o )

Cheers,

Chanchao

Always felt that the Chiang Mai forum encompassed, by definition, the whole of the North. Not only Chiang Rai, but Mae Hong Son, Lampang, Uttaradit, Fang, even Phitsanolok and perhaps Sukhothai should all be within our remit

My personal experience in buying land in a "development", village or whatever you want to call the housing tracks in CMX is as follows:

8km north of Super Highway 2001 8500 Baht per sq. wah of residential lot with concrete streets, street drains, guarded gate and average price homes.

2002 same development but newer phase 9500 Baht sq. wah.

2004 next phase out past Carrefour, who knows?

I have checked other developments, of much lower quality with higher prices per sq. wah. Private lots may be lower, but location, location, location is the determining factor in prices of raw land, once basic services are available at the site.

If you can get land at 9k per sq. wah or lower anywhere in Chiang Mai that is good for you, I don't think you are paying too much. Comments please.

Prices are definitely on the increase. Bought land last year in a good quality moo baan roughly 1/2 way between the city * Hang Dong - then 11,000 per talang wah. Same land today is selling for 12,000!

Irrespective of the ending of the tax holiday on land transfers at the end of last year, its still boom time for land & housing sales. Think I've seen this before in Thailand not so long ago!

On purchasing repossessed property from banks, I continue to hear some nightmare stories about friends of friends etc but don't have any first hand & reliable reports.

On Thai TV, you do hear occasional news reports of people buying reposessed houses from banks and the previous owners refuse to move out! According to the news reports, even the courts have trouble enforcing eviction! Not a nice situation at all for a farang to be in if you are forcing the eviction - could be dangerous! Trouble seemingly is that if you buy from the bank, the bank does not guarantee vacant posession! You're therefore the owner of a property you can't live in yet still have to pay back the bank on what you borrowed to buy the place!