Stranded Aussie expats told it could take “weeks, if not months” to return to Thailand

webfact

confused. why in the first place travel alone to your "own" country, and leave Thai family and child alone? if traveling and staying alone wasnt a probpem before, pls dont let it suddenly be a problem or blame the Thai governement.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aussie Col said:

I expect the Vietnam, Cambodia and Philippines will be very happy to pick up farangs when they open their borders soon that Thailand doesn't want.

All them hotel and bar and restaurants workers and taxi drivers are not going to be very happy with the Thai Junta. Thailand losing all them jobs

Sure hope one of these farangs will be you...

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Elkski said:

prayuth maybe handling things on the safe side after March.  But I will never forget his long delay because of greed. Thailand somehow Dodge the bullet not by any bureaucratic policies just dumb luck or diet or Humanity because I think this virus or similar has been around asia before.  

considering that Thailand allowed Chinese tourists in December, January and February it is a miracle that there are/ were not more cases.

One part is Number-management and control of who can release what.  You may have a point that this virus (or similar variants) may have been around Asia before or much longer - otherwise, how do we explain the relatively low rates in all of the East Asian and SE Asian countries while infection rates in Europe/ USA / Latin America / South Asia and Middle East are so high?  

6 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Imagine needing permission from your government to leave your own country?

:bah:

Soviet Union or Cuba come to mind..  At least in Europe you were always free to leave - just may have been quarantined when returning from abroad.

5 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

I've lived there full time for over 25 years so don't consider myself a "wannabe" expat. Some of us had to leave for work overseas, so didn't have a choice to get back before the airports closed. Everyone's situation is different and not as black and white as some TV members think. 

Of course you had a choice not to go to work. 

It was obvious since the end of Feb that the borders might close and the Thai Centre for Disease Control issued regular updates. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, Georgie65 said:

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice! Who wants to buy a Beer Bar??? <deleted>!!!!!!

There will no shortage of  stupid farangs ,  who want too buy a Beer Bar .

Good for September, possibly August unless Thailand is intent on crushing their tourism industry.

They will learn from Iceland and other countries opening up now on their processes, experiences and tailor them to fit.

Travel bubbles will become the new normal amongst those countries with Covid under control. Everyone wants to save their airlines.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pmk1000 said:

Wannabe expats what are you on? The topic is talking about people! People who are separated from loved ones, their wife children, which is disturbing to say the least. Real expats, I assume you are talking about people such as yourself? Not everyone are as quick witted, as yourself! Not everyone saw this coming for what it is, and the consequences resulting from it. A lot of people have children from previous marriages who they would be concerned about, aging family etc. There are a multitude of reasons why an expat may have delayed travel, in my opinion they are just as real as your perfect self.

REAL ? I have a wife and child. Is banging hookers as a past time more real?

42 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I was right there where you are accusing us of in March. I had a feeling I should have dropped everything 

and flew to Change Mai. But that would have cost me about $20,000USD for ten days work, my last decent paycheck, plus I was getting all my documents together for a O-A visa from Los Angeles Consul. . I was set on an April 1 entry but all doors closed . I simply ran out of time. Guess I'm not a real expat.

If you can make that kind of money I wouldn't care either, so your 90 day house arrest since that day will have earned you another 6 million Baht. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

obvious since the end of Feb that the borders might

KInd of an oxymoron isn't it Mr. Meeseeks(?), obvious, might?

That's perfectly clear, especially since it involves info coming from the Thai govt. They put out so much clear, straight forward, definitive information, how could I have missed it? (insert sarcasm)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Then I came back to my country to take care of legal matters and two days before my flight back, the border closed without warning. And now I am in my brother's basement living out of a suitcase. And his wife is sick of me, and my kids message me crying emojis and my wife has a lot on her hands

Shucks.