Just had a blood test, blood thick?

giddyup

Just went to a local clinic for a blood test, they had a little problem locating a vein, and then they told me my blood is very thick and I should drink more water. I'm nearly 78 so don't expect everything to be like a 20 year old, will get the results later today.

Dehydration it sounds like.

As we get older we should be drinking much more water.

But, I would suggest to see a Doctor.  Thick blood can make a person more prone to blood clots.

Maybe some meds are necessary.

• Like 1

I am of the same age and they always have issues finding a vein (especially if trying to do in hand for IV during MRI).  They often note blood flows well but suspect that may have more to do with Plavix than water drinking.  Do you take any blood thinner.  Suspect most of us at this age do.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I am of the same age and they always have issues finding a vein (especially if trying to do in hand for IV during MRI).  They often note blood flows well but suspect that may have more to do with Plavix than water drinking.  Do you take any blood thinner.  Suspect most of us at this age do.

I take Losartan and Cadeloc for blood pressure.

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I take Losartan and Cadeloc for blood pressure.

Do not find second drug using Google - are you being seen by a cardiologist and have you had a stress test or other check to make sure you do not have blockage?  Losartan makes artery softer to allow blood to flow better but did not read that it is a blood thinner but I am just a patient like you.  

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Do not find second drug using Google - are you being seen by a cardiologist and have you had a stress test or other check to make sure you do not have blockage?  Losartan makes artery softer to allow blood to flow better but did not read that it is a blood thinner but I am just a patient like you.  

Sorry, It's actually Cardeloc or Metoprolol.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

But for some of us not present anymore however.  ????

But at least no need to get up at night.  ????

image.jpeg.362cf76ddbbb0c3854c03ef5bd80082f.jpeg

Is it necessary to wear a catheter if prostate removed?

If "thick blood" persists, there is a condition called "Polycinthia Vera" you should be checked for.  It.s a condition where-in the body produces too many red blood cells which can eventually be very dangerous. 

A friend has this and periodically has to see a "Phlebotomist": that is a medical technician trained in removing excess blood.

Edited by dddave
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

If it makes you feel better I have bright blue, thick, and easy to stick veins - they're just not used to locating them on white skin here so more than one nurse has given it a funny look.

11 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What kind of stupid comment is that?

vodka thins blood....OR eat garlic and drink water...Or do nothing because everything is stupid and you're  the expert...it's your decision buddy...your problem and between you and your God...I really don't care.

Alcohol is known to increase levels of the "good" cholesterol, or HDL, and new research shows that it may act as a blood thinner. In the new study, drinking alcohol decreased the clumping together of clotting cells in the blood, a process that can lead to blood vessel blockages in the heart and possibly a heart attack

Edited by mike787

3 minutes ago, mike787 said:

vodka thins blood....OR eat garlic and drink water...Or do nothing because everything is stupid and you the expert...it's your decision buddy...your problem and between you and your God...I really don't 

Alcohol is known to increase levels of the "good" cholesterol, or HDL, and new research shows that it may act as a blood thinner. In the new study, drinking alcohol decreased the clumping together of clotting cells in the blood, a process that can lead to blood vessel blockages in the heart and possibly a heart attack

Vodka is no different than red wine in thinning blood, and I have a glass of red wine every day. No wish to start drinking hard spirits at my age.

Edited by giddyup

Just now, giddyup said:

Vodka is no different that red wine in thinning blood, and I have a glass of red wine every day. No wish to start drinking hard spirits at my age.

Good luck!  Go see a hematologist at Bumrungrad, well worth it. 

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Dehydration it sounds like.

As we get older we should be drinking much more water.

But, I would suggest to see a Doctor.  Thick blood can make a person more prone to blood clots.

Maybe some meds are necessary.

A 'baby' aspirin every day will sort it out.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Is it necessary to wear a catheter if prostate removed?

Immediately after surgery for about two weeks. Ongoing depends on the success with getting incontinence under control after surgery, which can be a significant issue for a small minority of patients.

Edited by simple1

Light but regular aerobic exercise will help and it will prompt you to drink more.  2  litres a day is too little in this or any other climate.  I drink that much between dinner and bedtime. My average is around 6 litres a day of various liquids.  Yes it means that I get up to pee a lot in the night, but so what, better that than a blood clot. 

38 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Light but regular aerobic exercise will help and it will prompt you to drink more.  2  litres a day is too little in this or any other climate.  I drink that much between dinner and bedtime. My average is around 6 litres a day of various liquids.  Yes it means that I get up to pee a lot in the night, but so what, better that than a blood clot. 

Read this. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-63101/How-water-need.html

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Not sure what you are trying to indicate here by posting this  article.  You live in a tropical country and you have been told that your blood in thicker than it should be.  What more indication do you need that, possibly among other measures.  you need to drink more water, a fatal heart attack or blood clot?  'I told you so' isn't going to be too helpful to you at your funeral.  

27 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Not sure what you are trying to indicate here by posting this  article.  You live in a tropical country and you have been told that your blood in thicker than it should be.  What more indication do you need that, possibly among other measures.  you need to drink more water, a fatal heart attack or blood clot?  'I told you so' isn't going to be too helpful to you at your funeral.  

All I'm saying is that more water isn't necessarily the answer. 

Treatment
  1. Antiplatelet therapy: This involves medication that inhibits platelets, or the blood cells responsible for clotting, from forming clots. Aspirin is an example of antiplatelet therapy.
  2. Anticoagulation therapy: This involves medicine to inhibit blood clotting at the level of the coagulation factors.
Edited by giddyup