Entry to Thailand for foreigners who own a condo - Is there a "special exception"?

No, condo ownership has not been floated in any discussion as a special exception. That said, you can always try applying to your local Thai embassy, there have been many stories of different special cases being accepted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can't come now as nor you or your good lady qualify to enter this country, however, things in this country changes from day to day and there's a good chance that later this year you will be able to enter until than sit tight...

• Like 1

"...I realized when looking deeper into immigration years ago, owning property entitled me to NO immigration benefits..."

I can't say I researched it deeply.  It sounds like you made the best decision for you.  I was not expecting immigration benefits or entitlements when I made the purchase.  It fit well with my big picture plans and I was willing to accept the Thai Immigration Standard Operating Procedures as published at the time.

The reason I posted this topic is because the SOP has changed due to COVID-19 and I was seeking clarification.  Apparently there will be a revised SOP published in two days.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

The Government could relax the rules for someone who has a home in Thailand. Surely "proving" you don't have Covid is sufficient to visit your home and family. It's like an airline selling you a flight then denying you travel, opps they do that too.

I agree with you. Somebody mention before the Government don't sale condo's, that's true but the Government make the rules, also rules  to own a condo or not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/10/2020 at 12:23 PM, Henryford said:

Bit of a scam selling condos to foreigners and then saying you can't come in to live in it.

Yep. Even with the "Elite" visa witch could have been seen as the right one for owners/investors.

Bad business for the real estate now too. No farang will buy (unless those who are 100% sure to stay without traveling, and even so...), and those who bought have/will sell.

I still just don't get how this N°1 country for business is killing it so largely. Ho i forgot : all-in on mass-1 or 2 bigs countries-tourism... Hmm... ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

Yep. Even with the "Elite" visa witch could have been seen as the right one for owners/investors.

Bad business for the real estate now too. No farang will buy (unless those who are 100% sure to stay without traveling, and even so...), and those who bought have/will sell.

The virus is not only in Thailand and you will see a great depression in all countries. It will be very difficult to sell condos within the next 2-5 years. This has nothing to do with the immigration rules. The rules will change perhaps end of this year but the economic depression will stay much longer. Good luck if you want sell your property.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2020 at 12:39 PM, Marvest said:

Thank you everyone for your information.  Henry describes how I feel.  

Did the seller of your condo set up the pandemic and prevent you, as a US citizen and potential danger to others due to Covid-19, from living in it?   

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Yes I would think that the next groups allowed in would be based on visa/extension status such as Non-O(/A) retirement, Investment visa Etc. So if you are on an investment visa status (now 10M Baht, some years back it was 3M baht which they grand father/accept to this day) you MIGHT be slightly better of than if your condo visits are based on tourist visas. All speculation of course! Cheers!

On 7/10/2020 at 12:23 PM, Henryford said:

Bit of a scam selling condos to foreigners and then saying you can't come in to live in it.

On 7/10/2020 at 12:39 PM, Marvest said:

Thank you everyone for your information.  Henry describes how I feel.  

On 7/10/2020 at 1:40 PM, Marvest said:

ubonjoe: I agree.  I don't feel it was a scam.  

Make up your mind, you said you felt the same as Henryford, who described it as a scam, and at the same time you say that you don't think it was a scam!

On 7/10/2020 at 1:54 PM, spiekerjozef said:
On 7/10/2020 at 1:13 PM, ubonjoe said:

They authorities are trying get a few people into the country that they think is most important. Condo ownership might be on the next list.

It was never before important enough to obtain a visa because of it.

Yes, it is, depending on the amount invested in the condo although it does not trump Covid-19 regulations.

Edited by Bob A Kneale

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

The Government could relax the rules for someone who has a home in Thailand. Surely "proving" you don't have Covid is sufficient to visit your home and family. It's like an airline selling you a flight then denying you travel

It is nothing like your analogy.  Do any other governments allow that exemption, yours, for instance?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Peterphuket said:

I agree with you. Somebody mention before the Government don't sale condo's, that's true but the Government make the rules, also rules  to own a condo or not.

And "the rules" have never stated, or even hinted, that owning a condo costing less than B10m entitles foreigners to special visa treatment or entitlement to entry before others in emergency situations.