Entry to Thailand for foreigners who own a condo - Is there a "special exception"?

Special exemption for condo owners. Back of the line with everyone else.

If they are not going to let the foreigners married to Thai's with families back in, why do you think a condo would entitle you to anything?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pottinger said:

I'm outside Thailand and have just had everything packed up and stored, after thirty-five years. No sense paying for nothing month after month indefinitely, and glad I'm able to cut losses so painlessly; many are not so fortunate.

35 years in Thailand and 2 posts?

That must be a record!

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Well, if you believe the US is successfully finding all its Covid-19 cases, it appears the fatality rate must be 8% (around 137,000 deaths and 1,516,000 recoveries. Does that seem about right?

Why should the increased testing be leading to an increase in the percentage of tests coming back positive. Surely, if wider testing is going on, presumably including people less likely to be infected, the percentage of tests coming back positive should go down.

330,000,000 people in the USA. Do the math.

On 7/11/2020 at 8:37 AM, Wake Up said:

A lot of us do not have Thai wives or Thai kids so this post does not apply to those people. I was going to buy a car in Thailand because I like to drive and travel and get to the golf course. But Covid and immigration has changed that decision for me. Will buy nothing I am not willing to walk away and forget it. 

Maybe if cars and condo prices fell over 50 percent I might take the chance. Otherwise you could own a condo full of stuff and a car and a bike and be barred from entering the country for a variety of reasons known today and unknown in the future. I beleive immigration should provide a special extension of stay for owning a condo or assets over a certain amount and consider property owners important to the Thailand society. 

The gamble of living in the third world.

On 7/12/2020 at 3:28 AM, unheard said:

The problem is that not all hotels are suitable (e.g. carpeted floors, shared a/c systems etc) or willing to sign up.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of empty hotel rooms in Bangkok alone. Millions of people unemployed. Are you seriously suggesting this is a capacity issue? Nah, capacity will be resolved when they want to let more people in.

And that's not even considering just letting people self-quarantine in their condos. Slap a GPS tracking bracelet on them and under threat of deportation tell them to stay home for 14-days, and instruct condo staff to report any violations. If you want to be even more paranoid hire all those unemployed people to review security cam footage for the entire period.

When there is a will there is a way. They simply just don't want to allow more people in, for whatever reasons.

On 7/11/2020 at 10:47 PM, herwin1234 said:

a worthy investment beneficial for Thailand, and hence giving you a more legitimate reason to be treated favorably, would eg include creating jobs for Thai people.

When you buy a condo you pay management fees, you are partially responsible for the jobs every staff in that building has, and that of any external service person. Even if you never visited Thailand, simply owning a condo increases employment indirectly. If/when you do visit Thailand and stay in your condo you further increase employment every time you spend money on anything. You are bringing in money from overseas and input it into the Thai economy which creates jobs. The entire reason why there are so many unemployed now is that foreign money is no longer flowing in to maintain the jobs they used to have. Just coming to Thailand once a year and spending a few thousand US Dollars is creating a job.

Thailand would be wise to create a pay-for-play plan where they allow tourists to come (investors or not) if they have money and willing to spend lots of it. Also anyone with an antibodies test showing he already recovered from Covid-19 and therefore immune should be exempted for the entry ban. It makes zero sense to me why countries are not doing this. You can't get it twice, so what's the point banning people who are immune?

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2020 at 9:34 AM, Pravda said:

If you own a condo no one is stopping you from selling it or even renting it out if you don't like the fact that you can't visit.... For now. 

Millions of thais are without any income and are struggling. Who cares about your condo. Are you serious? 

Renting or Selling, in this market? Used condos in Chiang Mai take a long time and in my case ALL my stuff is there.

Pretty hard to do anything with it now.

On 7/10/2020 at 12:23 AM, Henryford said:

Bit of a scam selling condos to foreigners and then saying you can't come in to live in it.

The sell more condos to Chinese and they also cannot come. Applies to everybody. What is the big rush to come to Thailand. Why can't wait for a few more months. Condo is not running away. 

Did hear that for AQS hotels, it need to have a hospital nearby or even next to it.

So beside the Covid-19 test, the medical staff can support the quarantining people if necessary.

Never check the ASQ hotels list, donno how truth it was.

Of course, if the hotels were "well connected".

They can be in the list also. ????

Agreed for the condo as quarantine place.

If this is possible for foreign property owners, how about those repatriated citizens?

Most likely they will ask for the same treatment to quarantine at their home.

This might create a total messy situation and out of control. ????

25 minutes ago, Mulambana said:

The sell more condos to Chinese and they also cannot come. Applies to everybody. What is the big rush to come to Thailand. Why can't wait for a few more months. Condo is not running away. 

For some people, like me, their Thai condo is their home. Where am i supposed to live if i am denied entry.

5 minutes ago, Henryford said:

For some people, like me, their Thai condo is their home. Where am i supposed to live if i am denied entry.

Why would you buy a 'home' here without any residency rights?

3 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

Why would you buy a 'home' here without any residency rights?

I am reconsidering the rationality of purchasing a condo in in such a situation but it worked out great for 12 years. Thailand even PR holders have been banned and only this month possible 

with onerous conditions few have overcome yet.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

Well, if you believe the US is successfully finding all its Covid-19 cases, it appears the fatality rate must be 8% (around 137,000 deaths and 1,516,000 recoveries. Does that seem about right?

Why should the increased testing be leading to an increase in the percentage of tests coming back positive. Surely, if wider testing is going on, presumably including people less likely to be infected, the percentage of tests coming back positive should go down.

Edited by Tounge Thaied

I've been away from my post for a couple of days.  I am astonished to come back to so many attacks and hurtful comments.  Why?  I was simply seeking information/clarification.  I have read posts here before and found them informative.  I thought it might be helpful.  I didnt know I was signing up for rude pot shots.  What is the reason there are so many denigrating posts here?

I will respond to several posts because I cant help but feel they are condescending.  Hopefully I can provide more context to better understand the reason I originally chose to post here.

First: to the decent posters, thank you for the information you provided.  It is much appreciated.  All others: read the title and the original post.

Third: understand, I don't feel scammed and I am not complaining about anything.  I am not asking for, or demanding entitlements.  I am simply asking for insight to the special situation for Certificate of Entry recently posted on the Thai embassy site.

Responding to Bob A Kneale post 12:50 - I take your question to be rhetorical, and in my opinion, rather silly, but I'll answer anyway: I don't believe the seller set up the pandemic or prevented me from living in the condo I purchased.  Nor do I have any information or reason to suspect it.  It should also be noted that I did not make that accusation so I'm not sure what the purpose of the question is in the first place.

Responding to Bob A Kneale post 12:54 - I said Henryford "describes how I feel."  I did not intend to agree that it was a scam and should have worded my response more carefully.  That is why I immediately agreed with ubonjoe who quickly pointed out it was not a scam.  I replied and said "I don't feel it was a scam."  I just meant to express my despair that I now own a condo in Thailand that I can not visit.  I think most reasonable people could empathize with my situation.

Responding to Bob A Kneale post 12:57 - Years ago there was no B10m rule.

Responding to Bob A Kneale post 01:04 - I see the point of Henryford's analogy.  But I am not lobbying for an exemption, just clarification of the new special COE.

Responding to Bob A Kneale post 01:08 - Peterphuket is correct.  The Thai government desires foreign capital investment and they provide incentives and conditions to attract it.  The same Thai government decides and publishes the Certificate of Entry rules.  If the immigration rules are not congruent with foreign capital incentives, it could sour investors.  But I am not lobbying for an exemption, just clarification of the new special COE.

Responding to Bob A Kneale post 01:08 - I think Sambotte is pointing out that "Elite" visa privilege, if granted to foreign property owners, would allow an exemption.  So it's not a matter of what is appropriate, but simply that the Elite visa rules would accommodate foreign property owners who wanted to enter the country to visit their condo.  Maybe Sam is suggesting I should apply for Elite visa.  That is something I am considering, but I need clarification of the current emergency rules before taking that step.

Responding to herwin1234 at 07:50 - I feel you comments are intentionally condescending and ill intended.  I will say this; you are right that the U.S. and it's leadership have handled Coronavirus very badly.  In fact, I will go further and say deliberately sabotaged.  I don't defend it and I am most certainly aware that U.S. citizens are less welcome or not welcome in many countries because of it. And that is all the more reason I am seeking clarification of COE.  

The rest of your post is just unfounded accusations of arrogance, attitude, kisses and gates. What pray tell, is so terrible and arrogant about asking for clarification of the new special circumstances?  And what is so damning about feeling I should be able to enter Thailand to visit a property I own? You would feel the same way.  Perhaps you are envious.  I don't know you and you don't know me so I can not understand the reason for your attack.  Either way, I don't like YOUR attitude.

Responding to herwin1234 at 09:47 edited - Your assumption is incorrect.  I did not purchase a condo to open doors during a pandemic.  It was purchased well before the pandemic.  Secondly, a condo is in fact an investment.  It was specifically purchased under Thai government terms that offered special conditions to attract and keep the foreign capital investment.  It was purchased with 100% imported 'hard currency' (if you don't understand that term, look it up).  And do you actually believe that building, selling and managing a new condo does not employ anyone in Thailand?  As for commitment, I most certainly have a commitment.  I entered into a purchase contract for this condo.  I assure you it is a commitment.  It is a legally binding commitment and an ongoing financial commitment.  It is registered with the local municipality.  You obviously have not purchased or do not own property in Thailand.

andre47 - I won't disagree that the global economy could suffer greatly because of Coronavirus and consequently could effect condo values and sales in Thailand.  I feel that Thailand had over built condos before the virus so there may be multiple factors effecting condo sales in the coming years.  But if they loose a lot of value, there will be incentive to buy... I'll buy another.  I have been a real estate speculator for more than 30 years.  The U.S. has one of the biggest virus outbreaks in the world and number of home sales under contract in the market where I live are up 30% in June 2020 vs June 2019.  I can’t say I understand why, but it is a fact.  Certainly the virus has changed my portfolio position.  However, I did not purchase my condo with the expectation of appreciation.  My justifications remain sound but not unaffected.

As an investor I have learned, if the majority of people think something will happen, I probably won’t.  That’s one reason hedge fund mangers sometimes hit the big time.