Channel 7 report: No tourists and desperate times for vendors/ hotels in Pattaya

webfact

3 hours ago, johng said:

Yes just the other day  it was said that Thai tourist had  booked 80-100 % of 3-5 star hotels in Hua Hin

@ prices 3,000 baht up per night....but that the guest houses and budget hotels where almost empty ?

doesn't make sense to me  surely people with no income for months on end..or a measly handout of 5,000 baht per month would be staying at the cheaper accommodation.

Saying that there where a hell of a lot of Bangkok plated vehicles along Jomtien beach road and clogging everywhere else up during those 4 days "holiday" 

( on top of the months of shutdown where do they get the money from ?)

They are all living on borrowed time and money! 

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

If my US buddy was allowed back in i would love to go spend some money in Pattaya for a few days of water fun and sun. 

Not very likely given their track record.

Edited by Traubert
  • Confused 1

Why is this so difficult to understand? Foreign TOURIST will not come before there are NO restriction on arrival, such as Test, Quarantine, extra health insurance other than Travel insurance, and deposit money into a local bank. TOURIST are coming for holiday and looking for good times...

Flight restriction and uncertainty of delayed and canceled flights will add to reduce the number of oversea tourism. PERIOD.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, baansgr said:

I remember wanting to visit an old girlfriend from Almeria, flights from London were £18...the return flight was over £250...always a catch somewhere.

Last time i went to spain from the UK (2013) outbound flights from Liverpool John lennon were 48 quid and coming back was 75..

not bad i say.

12 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

And its the Thai ~ Middle Classes ~ that are carrying most of the Household Debt

3/5 Star Hotels, New Car, new I Phone Etc Etc ETc , and most of it on Credit Cards or Credit Borrowing from the likes of AEON that are predicting a huge surge in NPL

Pop

Yep, they certainly are the ones who are carrying a large chunk of that debt. But what if, just what if....they can actually afford to service that debt.

So AEON is expecting a surge in borrowing, tell me, if you were a lender in these uncertain times would you allow your lending to surge on unsecured loans? No I didn't think so, which is why AEON won't either.

• Like 2

I am perfectly o.k. with this

"Jet skis and boats were just sitting idle in the bay at Pattaya Beach"

and - once the tourists start flocking in again - they should bloody not flock to the jet skis and boats, let the operators starve and their wild machines rot away!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, pmk1000 said:

You couldn't be more wrong with regards to tourism, the Chinese, Indians Japanese and koreans are coming, and they will be coming in the 10s of millions and that's what this government want. They couldn't give a rats ass for the 5million total from the European union 6 if you count the USA in 2019. I know the Chinese are not going to feed the transient bottom feeders and beer bars of pattaya, but once again the government couldn't give a rats ass about that element and beer bar businesses, they have made that quite clear! 

Amen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johng said:

Yes just the other day  it was said that Thai tourist had  booked 80-100 % of 3-5 star hotels in Hua Hin

@ prices 3,000 baht up per night....but that the guest houses and budget hotels where almost empty ?

doesn't make sense to me  surely people with no income for months on end..or a measly handout of 5,000 baht per month would be staying at the cheaper accommodation.

Saying that there where a hell of a lot of Bangkok plated vehicles along Jomtien beach road and clogging everywhere else up during those 4 days "holiday" 

( on top of the months of shutdown where do they get the money from ?)

Banks

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Yep, they certainly are the ones who are carrying a large chunk of that debt. But what if, just what if....they can actually afford to service that debt.

So AEON is expecting a surge in borrowing, tell me, if you were a lender in these uncertain times would you allow your lending to surge on unsecured loans? No I didn't think so, which is why AEON won't either.

AEON are not expecting any surge in borrowing at all.

They are expecting a huge rise in NPL and delinquent Accounts.

Yesterday they set off a huge amount of their profit to offset this, and yes, the present debt levels of Thai Middle Classes may be serviceable, but if the likes of AEON shut the Credit stream, then those debts will surely go bad, as they are borrowing to pay existing debt.

1 minute ago, Cake Monster said:

AEON are not expecting any surge in borrowing at all.

They are expecting a huge rise in NPL and delinquent Accounts.

Yesterday they set off a huge amount of their profit to offset this, and yes, the present debt levels of Thai Middle Classes may be serviceable, but if the likes of AEON shut the Credit stream, then those debts will surely go bad, as they are borrowing to pay existing debt.

Every lender in the country has increased their bad debt provisions, plus BOT increased the capital adequacy ratio's. As of the last quarterly report published mid-May 202, BOT reported:

"Capital Fund of the Thai banking system was at 2,836 billion baht, equivalent to capital adequacy ratio (BIS ratio) of 18.7%. Loan loss provision remained high at 719.2 billion baht with NPL coverage ratio of 143.3%. Liquidity coverage ratio (LCR) registered at 185.7%."

https://www.bot.or.th/English/PressandSpeeches/Press/2020/Pages/n2663.aspx

4 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

and why should they with the way they have been treated over the last 30 years?

They have been scammed one too many times and are booking their 40 quid flights to Spain instead.

I can't say I blame them!

It might also have something to do with no foreign tourists being allowed into the country at this point.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

But I've known several Thais who have gone to live in Europe for one reason or another. Not one, not one, wants to return to live in Thailand, now that their eyes have been opened to what the real world is like. One married a German and said that when he died she would come back. Seven years after he died she's still there.

Do these Thai's work, pay taxes, pay rent, pay their bills, pay a mortgage, obey all the western bureaucracy etc etc?

Easy to move to a foreign country when everything is on a platter for you.   

After reading about the numbers of local tourists visiting Pattaya last weekend holiday

The number of hotels saying how booked they were plus restaurants full as well

Who needs foreign tourists 

Just announce a special holiday people will flock to the tourist resorts 

Cant see foreign tourists coming this year  with all the quarantine  messages getting sent out

4 hours ago, samsensam said:

every country has to strike the fine balance between protecting their healthcare service and sustaining/recovering their economy. many european countries have decided, on the balance of things, long term economic survival is the priority. the thai government prefers to protect its healthcare system and, as they see it, keep their population 'safe'. (kind of ironic considering the death toll on the roads that goes unaddressed year after year, but thats another debate.)

They've not done much about Dengue fever either. Up to the middle of May nearly 15,000 have contracted that disease. 

They've not done much about road accidents either.