Jump to content

Channel 7 report: No tourists and desperate times for vendors/ hotels in Pattaya


Recommended Posts

On 7/11/2020 at 2:24 PM, owl sees all said:

What about testing the air-travelers at departure. The results could be sent across and the unlucky ones detained on arrival, while the C-10-free ones go on their way.

Given the way CV19 spreads you would have to quarantine the whole plane on arrival, would you take your chances on every one of the other 300+ people on the plane (maybe 500+ if you had to change planes) not having the virus if it meant you'd have to spend all of your 2 week holiday in isolation? 

 

Only way to do it is a reliable test on departure, this one is looking good... https://ajn.timesofisrael.com/israel-invents-one-minute-coronavirus-breath-test/ If they can get it down to 10 seconds  

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-startups-breathalyzer-detector-for-covid-19-begins-early-tests/ it would have negligible impact on people's journeys (Unless you tested positive in which case I'd rather be at home than stuck in a quarantine hotel). 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and why should they with the way they have been treated over the last 30 years? They have been scammed one too many times and are booking their 40 quid flights to Spain instead.   I can

The people on the 5k a month handout are not the ones taking holidays and filling the 3-5 star hotels, it's the other segment of Thai society, the middle classes who would normally have gone overseas,

Was speaking to a Thai friend of mine recently and she said "the economy will recover soon because everyone wants to visit Thailand". Had a bit of a laugh at that and chatted about how expensive Thail

Posted Images

On 7/11/2020 at 11:23 PM, hotchilli said:

If they continue into 2021 with the ridiculous criteria for entry, ie 14 days quarantine, health insurance, Covid test, fit for fly etc etc etc they can forget next year too, people will just stay domestic, plenty of lovely Euro or American destinations with a good climate.
Families are not going to put the price of insurance per head and a pile of documentation on top of an already costly holiday.

 

A quarantine with an early release if you test negative is one option to explore.

 

Are you seriously suggesting they just open and expose themselves to letting the virus reek havoc?

 

In saying this, the economy in Thailand is going to take a battering. Images of empty malls, nightlife areas, empty national parks, and the major islands becoming ghost towns etc are shocking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

In saying this, the economy in Thailand is going to take a battering. Images of empty malls, nightlife areas, empty national parks, and the major islands becoming ghost towns etc are shocking. 

Agreed, Thais have to come to the conclusion that the money making days from masses of foreign tourists are over for at least a year. Many will have to explore other options of employment and cannot sit around waiting to live off the domestic tourism scraps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Agreed, Thais have to come to the conclusion that the money making days from masses of foreign tourists are over for at least a year. Many will have to explore other options of employment and cannot sit around waiting to live off the domestic tourism scraps.

What are the alternatives? Thailand isn't exactly excelling in manufacturing if services/tourism has gone. Back to the farms?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AndrewMciver said:

What are the alternatives? Thailand isn't exactly excelling in manufacturing if services/tourism has gone. Back to the farms?

This is where the proverbial is going to hit the fan sooner than later.

For a few decades tourism has been the mass employer, for those directly employed or in the supply chain, education has not been a priority but this is where they could find a niche. 

You didn't need a degree to sell beer or other services, just head to a resort and make money, it was easy.
Now with the cash cow gone the alternatives are few and far between,the majority of those now unemployed don't have the education or skill set to go into office work or manufacturing [which is having it's own problems] even they are shedding jobs due to the economy and high baht.

Back to the farms is a non-starter, some will return home but most are just to lazy to get off their backs to do a real days work and the profits are not really there for the majority.

Initially the government hoped like hell this would all be over and back to normal by July... pipe-dream.

They underestimated the affect this was going to have here & globally.

3 months of 5,000 baht help if you were lucky enough to get it is over, the tourists are not back, domestic tourism is at a crawl and Thais will not be spending billions. 
With no alternative employment the government will be supporting millions out of work with less taxes coming in, The PM will shortly be sending another begging letter to the billionaire elite to dig deep again.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

What are the alternatives? Thailand isn't exactly excelling in manufacturing if services/tourism has gone. Back to the farms?

Where Does Thai GDP Come From: 

Agriculture 174,009 (THB Mill.)

Construction 70,556

Manufacturing 734,995

Mining 57,890

Public Administration 132,440

Transport 186,840

Utilities 81,065

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/gdp

 

Since international tourism represents less than 12% of Thai GDP, the remaining 88% of GDP has to offer opportunities for income, if people really want to work normally rather than leech off the back of international tourism.

 
Edited by Trillian
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Given the way CV19 spreads you would have to quarantine the whole plane on arrival, would you take your chances on every one of the other 300+ people on the plane (maybe 500+ if you had to change planes) not having the virus if it meant you'd have to spend all of your 2 week holiday in isolation? 

 

Only way to do it is a reliable test on departure, this one is looking good... https://ajn.timesofisrael.com/israel-invents-one-minute-coronavirus-breath-test/ If they can get it down to 10 seconds  

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-startups-breathalyzer-detector-for-covid-19-begins-early-tests/ it would have negligible impact on people's journeys (Unless you tested positive in which case I'd rather be at home than stuck in a quarantine hotel). 

Bang on the money Mike.

 

I was thinking that passengers would have a check with a electronic gun, like they do at the entrance to Big C, and they could be detained at their destination if the reading was critical.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Bang on the money Mike.

 

I was thinking that passengers would have a check with a electronic gun, like they do at the entrance to Big C, and they could be detained at their destination if the reading was critical.

Personally I would want to see people who tested possible being detained before getting on the plane so there's no risk of them spreading it during the flight, which is why I think these 1 minute, 10 second or even sniffer dog tests are essential if we're to get anywhere near back to being able to travel "Normally". 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fear not. The world's billionaires are sitting on their packed suitcases, ready to make Thailand's tourism dreams a reality soon... (And even if they don't have the cash right now, there's always the Indians, Thailand can fall back on.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

If they can train the dogs to detect CV19...

Wonder what PETA has to say about that ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, johng said:

Wonder what PETA has to say about that ?

Nothing, why would they as CV19 has not jumped species to dogs so it's no different than them sniffing for drugs, bombs, money etc... If it did make the jump then obviously the idea is a none starter, not only from the dogs health point of view but also from the potential for them to spread it to other people. 

 

I think this & the Israeli tests offer real hope that we can reasonably soon get close to some normality when it comes to travelling, without these or something similar we're screwed until somebody comes up with a vaccine & even then there are doubts around immunity lasting more than a couple of months... 

 

 

Edited by Mike Teavee
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Nothing, why would they as CV19 has not jumped species to dogs

They had a bit to say recently about monkeys collecting coconuts..these poor mutts might sniff a Wuflu carrier and catch it/transmit it ..not to mention being blown up by a bomb 😋

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Bang on the money Mike.

 

I was thinking that passengers would have a check with a electronic gun, like they do at the entrance to Big C, and they could be detained at their destination if the reading was critical.

 

You can be asymptomatic (no symptoms) and still have the virus. The temperature check whilst useful in some regards, will not catch everyone with the virus.

 

You have 4 options :

 

1) TEST TEST TEST EVERY SINGLE ENTRY INTO THE COUNTRY - BUILD HUGE LABORATORYS AT AIRPORTS

2) KEEP BORDERS CLOSED FOR NEXT 2 YEARS - DESTROY ECONOMY

 

or 

 

3) Quarantining, testing, islands - this will mean some virus will enter the country. Hopefully only in low numbers though. 

 

4) Just let everyone in and pray. Likelyhood you will end up like India - full of infection, and in turn will turn tourism off. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...