BANGKOK
webfact

Channel 7 report: No tourists and desperate times for vendors/ hotels in Pattaya

Troll post removed

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Gerefan said:

Id say that international tourism in places like Pattaya and Phuket etc actually accounts for 99% of GDP in those areas.

50% of real GDP, if talking what counts for most of population. 12% if talking about elites their GDP. That is why they don't care to lose us and treat us bad.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 2:24 PM, owl sees all said:

What about testing the air-travelers at departure. The results could be sent across and the unlucky ones detained on arrival, while the C-10-free ones go on their way.

Because the other 199 passengers may well have become infected during the flight perhaps?

Its harsh having a tourist ban and I feel for the ordinary vendors but loathe the military regime.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 10:26 AM, Traubert said:

Not very likely given their track record.

Never miss an opportunity do you?

On 7/10/2020 at 1:21 PM, webfact said:

10 baht bag of soy milk

10 baht for soy milk?/geez!

On 7/12/2020 at 5:23 AM, hotchilli said:

If they continue into 2021 with the ridiculous criteria for entry, ie 14 days quarantine, health insurance, Covid test, fit for fly etc etc etc they can forget next year too, people will just stay domestic, plenty of lovely Euro or American destinations with a good climate.
Families are not going to put the price of insurance per head and a pile of documentation on top of an already costly holiday.

I agree.  I can start to see Thailand's tourism industry woes continuing well into 2021.

When you use the word "they" it's not just the Thai government.  Once again, it's the governments of the countries from which Thailand's tourists will come from that are also impeding international travel.  

many regulars are skint and jobless and wont be going anywhere soon even if there was flights

available at nice prices.some just cant get into the office any more so no wages.they eke out their savings till god knows when..jiggy jiggy tours are on the back burner for some time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

many regulars are skint and jobless and wont be going anywhere soon even if there was flights

available at nice prices.some just cant get into the office any more so no wages.they eke out their savings till god knows when..jiggy jiggy tours are on the back burner for some time

A good reminder to all of us to keep a few months living expenses in the bank.

this is the new normal for many years to come with the worlds 25 billion unemployed going nowhere except food banks and night shelters and a looming civil war in america

• Confused 1

On 7/27/2020 at 1:11 PM, phetchy said:

For many years after the 1997/8 collapse of the Baht, I've adopted a "don't put all your eggs in one basket" approach.  Without the aid of a crystal ball or Mystic Meg, I've always kept my liquid assets 50/50 between Thailand and the UK.  As well as avoiding being totally wiped out if one or the other countries goes to the wall, it's even possible to make a few bucks by transferring cash to profit from the exchange rate.  As for gold, my wife has an uncanny sense of timing.  I know that in times of crisis, gold is always seen as a safe  bet.  Wifey bought a rather large amount in late March - it now looks like she's going to pay for the change of car.  It will be in her name, so she can buy it.

I don't see Thailand as a "basket" to put any eggs into.  I only transfer living expenses.  

In my home country, and other western countries, I spread my eggs around, but should my home country go belly up, you are probably looking at World War 3, in which case, all bets would be off, globally.  

• Like 1

Off topic posts removed