Import Duties on Mailed Goods

riclag

This subject was closed a while back 

I want to buy a ultra sonic anti dog barking  device  from Amazon in the states.It weighs about 4 ounces!

Do you think customs will get involved ,its a $30 dollar item which cost about $18 to ship here !

I was just there the other day, they told me that 1/10th of the items brought into Thailand get flagged. I've found the smaller the box the less likely it is to be flagged. 

No joke: I was once charged duty on Christmas cookies my mother baked and sent to me here in Thailand. 

If you think you have been improperly charged, there is a form to fill out and a way to attempt recourse. I've tried it, with limited success. 

By the way, size does not matter, and the same goes for packages. ????

• Haha 1

Take a look on Lazada. They sell the ultra sonic anti barking Devices locally. Most of them (even the ones sold in USA) are made in China. The electronics inside are mostly exactly the same with the outer box being the only difference.

• 2 weeks later...

If the shipper is flexible and will list a very low value, in a very small package and listing something that will not get their attention, like repair parts. It will likely go through customs unnoticed. 

As has already been said, anything under ฿1,500 in value is not liable for import duty or VAT. I have to disagree about size not mattering though. In my experience, larger boxes are almost always checked while smaller ones are more than often let through without a check (however, I have had to pay duty on some items that arrived in small packages so it’s not something you can rely on).

• Like 1