Unofficial visa amnesty update

1 hour ago, Sundown said:

Today my accountant told me it's now possible to obtain a non-b without leaving Thailand. I'll know more in the afternoon but if they told me so it means it will be official soon (they don't do sketchy stuff).

Hasn't this always been possible if you entered Thailand as a tourist, using form TM86 or TM87?

I have an update. Basically they charge a fee (30000) just to change from tourist to non b in country. Not possible to change from ed to non b. This could be just an agreement with Phuket immigration though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RubbaJohnny said:

The uncertainty is very disrespectful of the sick and aged for whom life is difficut enough.

Of course ethey cannot predict the pandemic nor control others borders , but they can simply extend albeit at a cost or need to attend an office.

This will allow people to relax , spend money enjoy their time here, tell others that Thailand welcomes foreigners, seems like a win win win to me.

On the other hand, there may be forces trying to discourage all you've alluded to and more...I'm just sayin'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, steve187 said:

so a backdoor route to a non B, not offical

Basically yes, a big under the table ripoff well organised between connected people/agents and IOs. I saw that coming. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sundown said:

I have an update. Basically they charge a fee (30000) just to change from tourist to non b in country. Not possible to change from ed to non b. This could be just an agreement with Phuket immigration though...

Agents in Pattaya have been doing it for years...similar price, some cheaper

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sundown said:

Basically yes, a big under the table ripoff well organised between connected people/agents and IOs. I saw that coming. 

Based on your OP, clearly you did not see it coming.

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I found the statements made by the good Col. to be very intriguing.  It sounds to me as if the Purge will began.

"Spokesman Col. Phakkhaphong Saiubon said there’s a need to “clear out people” as the situation of global pandemic starts to wind down. The government issued automatic extensions of stays earlier this year only after hundreds of foreigners queued up at immigration centers throughout the country. “There most likely will not be an extension. It’s all quiet on that front. It’s been a long time and we need to clear out people,” Phakkaphong said. “Thailand and the Thai government are already generous. No other country has this long of a visa amnesty.”

How would you folks describe his words?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, andux said:

...In the era of social media, kicking out more than 200,000 foreigners can result in millions crossing Thailand off their lists for years to come...

Are there really still 200,000 foreigners left in Thailand who were unable to get out when their embassies urged them to do so while flights were still available and who subsequently were unable to get on a repatriation flight and who even today cannot get a seat on any of the outbound passenger flights that are still operating? 

I suggest that any foreigner in this unfortunate situation should apply for an extension of stay under clause 2.28(1) of Police Order 327/2557 (2014) with documentary evidence of his or her failed attempts and the requisite embassy or consulate letter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sundown said:

I would like to know why @bkk6060sends confused faces? You need the information in another language?

Strongly suspect that a clue might lie in post #91 on this thread:-

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1172151-extension-of-amnesty-unlikely/page/7/#comments

Speculative threads on what may (or may not) happen after 31st July appear to be breeding like rabbits on this forum at the present time. In my humble opinion - as well as, I suspect,  @bkk6060's - their contradictory nature is the cause of much unnecessary confusion pending an official announcement from the Immigration Bureau.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, andux said:

Some wrong facts, for example:

Actually many countries have given visa amnesties till the end of the year. UAE, for example: https://gulfnews.com/uae/coronavirus-uae-visit-tourist-visas-will-be-valid-till-end-of-2020-1.70971334.

EU countries are also allowing people to stay or move around Europe, and even provide free healthcare in most cases. 

Thai Airways won't fly till September.

Kicking all foreigners out would set a really bad precedent for Thailand, especially considering that Thai people are allowed to stay in Europe, UAE, and other places without being kicked out.

In the era of social media, kicking out more than 200,000 foreigners can result in millions crossing Thailand off their lists for years to come. 

Paid extensions should do the trick in my opinion. 1,900 baht for 30 more days, renewable until land borders open up again. Brings in revenue and good press.

Why not 60 days?

An extension of 60 days on a non O costs 1,900.  An extension of 1 year costs 1,900. Why double that fee for those finding its not straightforward to leave, or are here with wives, family and unable to cross in to neighbouring countries for either another 90 days or for a new non O. and know that if they leave Thailand they will have a hell of a wait before things get anywhere near back to normal.

Yes, it's may be appropriate to charge a fee for a "Covid extension" but I really don't understand why everyone who makes this comment says the fee should be for only 30 days. 

It's noteworthy that many countries including all  the EU countries have simply extended for those caught up in this whilst away to the end of the year for free. I know of a number of Thais benefitting from that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Members,

I really need help, I have been laid of in May 2020 and my visa and workpermit expired and cancelled by the employer. I don't want to go back to India until the Covid issue subside and the situation get backs to normal with Airline. I got a new job recently, but understood that within one week only it could be renewed. As it is not done the only way is to return to India and get a non-B which is almost impossible as all embassies are closed there. Back-door way some agents asked me 100K baht for each person to renew it. Due to this implications my prospective employer gave up the hope and decided to put my candidature down. Now I am jobless and amnesty is going to end on 31 July. And under-deep-mental-stress. Can I get a volunteer or some other visa to stay in Thailand. I really do't want to travel with repatriation flight and expose my family to Covid affected areas. In India also, the commute is not started to reach to my home town. Much appreciated for your help in this regard.

With Regards

21 hours ago, andux said:

Kicking all foreigners out would set a really bad precedent for Thailand

In the era of social media, kicking out more than 200,000 foreigners

If you have a proper visa, there is nothing to complain and you can stay. 

22 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Saw this on Twitter...  @KhaosodEnglish

VISA AMNESTY EXTENSION UNLIKELY, IMMIGRATION SPOX SAYS

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/07/10/visa-amnesty-extension-unlikely-immigration-spox-says/

Don't you love this paragraph in that article

“There most likely will not be an extension. It’s all quiet on that front. It’s been a long time and we need to clear out people,” Phakkaphong said. “Thailand and the Thai government are already generous. No other country has this long of a visa amnesty.”

Clear out people, very diplomatic.  

• Like 2