Unofficial visa amnesty update

22 hours ago, Sundown said:

I have an update. Basically they charge a fee (30000) just to change from tourist to non b in country. Not possible to change from ed to non b. This could be just an agreement with Phuket immigration though...

So this is really an agent bribing an IO correct? Are people on visa exempt and amnesty eligible for this?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mikosan said:

Don't you love this paragraph in that article

“There most likely will not be an extension. It’s all quiet on that front. It’s been a long time and we need to clear out people,” Phakkaphong said. “Thailand and the Thai government are already generous. No other country has this long of a visa amnesty.”

Clear out people, very diplomatic.  

wife was following this story from the thai side and last night said the feeling is that internationals (i don't want to say the f... word) are not the target of immigration reopening but neighboring countries citizens are. there's a worry that they are struggling to support themselves and find work in the current climate.

probably going home and blabbing that they caught covid here didn't win too many friends either lol

anyway just passing on her opinion.. one more for the pile

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

Fortune teller accountant????

Ahahaha it's so funny!!! 

So funny that she gave me a price quotation and when I asked her an information she called an IO at immigration right in front of me.

She was lying right? 

IMG_20200711_130621~2.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

So this is really an agent bribing an IO correct? Are people on visa exempt and amnesty eligible for this?

It depends what visa type you had before amnesty. If on visa exempt it is possible

38 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

wife was following this story from the thai side and last night said the feeling is that internationals (i don't want to say the f... word) are not the target of immigration reopening but neighboring countries citizens are. there's a worry that they are struggling to support themselves and find work in the current climate.

probably going home and blabbing that they caught covid here didn't win too many friends either lol

anyway just passing on her opinion.. one more for the pile

I do remember reading an editorial awhile back about a country by country implementation of the amnesty possibly being a solution, although it would be nearly impossible for this government to probably draw up. LOL

I want to stay for some more months in Bangkok, but I don't know how can I do.

The overstay option is very risky.

An Student Visa, I would be willing to study the thai language for some months, but if I understood correctly I would need to go outside Thailand, so how can someone get an Student Visa if the borders are close?

I need an student visa inside Thailand, and I would go to the classes.

What kind of agents are those you are talking about? They don't seem very reliable haha

Someone told me that you can buy an student visa in Pattaya, are you talking about the same?

I have a lot of doubts, I don't see any extension coming, <deleted>!

Edited by jonga80

11 minutes ago, jonga80 said:

Who knows. Think about alternatives to some kind of covid extension. Try to stay calm...and wait for an official announcement. I believe it really will be up to the cabinet to make an announcement on this. However, they are in the process of a reshuffle as 4 members resigned from the ruling party.

Myself I really prefer not to switch to a long stay and have some form of shorter covid extensions if possible because the moment Taiwan opens to me I am gone. However, maybe my seeing this as a short term possibility may be wrong and I need to find a long stay option. I would prefer not paying the exorbitant fees for agent corruption for something of this nature if possible.

50 minutes ago, jonga80 said:

I want to stay for some more months in Bangkok, but I don't know how can I do.

The overstay option is very risky.

An Student Visa, I would be willing to study the thai language for some months, but if I understood correctly I would need to go outside Thailand, so how can someone get an Student Visa if the borders are close?

I need an student visa inside Thailand, and I would go to the classes.

What kind of agents are those you are talking about? They don't seem very reliable haha

Someone told me that you can buy an student visa in Pattaya, are you talking about the same?

Some "schools" (read: agents) can issue the ed visa without going out of Thailand (for double the fee, of course). Just go into language schools in your area and ask..

Ps: you need to be on visa exempt or tourist

Edited by Sundown
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2020 at 2:38 PM, Sundown said:

I have an update. Basically they charge a fee (30000) just to change from tourist to non b in country. Not possible to change from ed to non b. This could be just an agreement with Phuket immigration though...

Sounds like your 'lawyer' is just acting as an agent.    You can renew any visa you like for 30,000 bt via an agent!!

32 minutes ago, Greenhill said:

Sounds like your 'lawyer' is just acting as an agent.    You can renew any visa you like for 30,000 bt via an agent!!

Total bs. Retirement visa are not "any visa". Do you have experience or you just speak by hearsay? 

So why don't we all renew visa for 30k/year ahah tell this to those who spend 100k/year for the elite? I guess they're idiots since as you say any visa can be renewed for 30k?

1 hour ago, Sundown said:

Some "schools" (read: agents) can issue the ed visa without going out of Thailand (for double the fee, of course). Just go into language schools in your area and ask..

Ps: you need to be on visa exempt or tourist

Agreed, I have  confirmed this is possible for an ED Visa. 

The big problem however is it has to be applied for NOW as it takes 3-4 weeks to process.

So while immigration and others advise to wait for an official announcement before making any decision, if they do not to extend amnesty then it will also be too late to get an ED Visa to stay.

The not knowing is very frustrating!

13 minutes ago, tropo said:

People who cannot fly home cannot fly home. They cannot leave. Are they planing to lock them up?

I think those who can get letters from their embassies to the effect that their home countries' borders are closed will be given extensions. Those who prefer to stay in Thailand because flights home are expensive, Covid-19 infections at home are scary, or whatever might also be given a way to stay, but I would not count on it. It is, indeed, possible that those who overstay due to an inability to get extensions might end up in the Immigration Detention Centre.

Maybe time for all who live here as a true expat to get the most appropriate Visa or extension of stay based upon there circumstances.  Without being able to do my usual flight back to the US for a 2 week visit, then return and get my O-A ME Visa extended again for another year, and at the end of the second year redo the O-A Visa application at the Los Angeles Thai Consulate, I will be doing an Extension of Stay now as my 1 year is up in November.  I was hoping to get a border bounce out and then back in to extend the Visa itself, but its not appearing to be possible for the foreseeable future, with what's happening. Going to use the Monthly income method this time around as my money is tied up in the US until December and so no way to build up my account to the 800,000 Baht.  Thankfully I have a pension and I transfer in more than what's needed.