What is the Thai national character?

Logosone

So Germans were known for centuries as the dreamers and thinkers, but how are the Thais known in Asia? What is their national character?

Would be interested to hear the views of people who have lived here a long time. 

Edited by Logosone
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

As a rule, I am not a great one for generalising about national characteristics - just look at the awful mess the domestic political scene in the US has got into, partially at least because of such generalisations about race and nationality. However if we are going to make such sweeping assumptions as - "So Germans were known for centuries as the dreamers and thinkers" - for the last 150 years or so they have also been known, in Europe at least, for one or two other things!

For having a military that was so strong only the combined forces could hope to defeat it ?????

1 hour ago, jvs said:

Are you German?If so do you fit the perceived character?There is no such thing as one size fits all.

I can tell you this,i find in general Thais are peace loving people who will sacrifice them selves for their family.

Germans are known for their Big Mouth.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not puffing.. Trans guess you have no sense of humor. Brits are often called soap dodgers and Dutch stoners. So im not doing myself any favors either. Just adding to the Brit who made fun of all others except themselves. You really have thin skin Trans. 

So its ok for Brits (the guy i responded to is a Brit) put others down.. but then when someone else makes a small jibe at a Brit and his own nationality you start to cry.. strange.

Yeh but, you have Brits on the brain here daily, why not talk about your tulips being a problem.

Just now, robblok said:

I don't have Brits on my brain just balanced out an post and added some self critique.. something you don't seem to have. Such a shame.

Try to leave us Brits out of your stuff for just one day.

Do I run down the Dutch on a daily basis, or even ever, no......????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Oddly enough the impression I had of Germans was that they would follow anyone on a horse.

Meaning they like things organised and someone in charge.

However having lived in Germany for several years I found them to be fantastic people. Friendly and polite. 

When you get to know them well they relax and show a great sense of humor and are good company for a beer.

So I think stereotyping is never a good thing. 

Its never a good thing.. Just think about it im sure that you knew plenty of idiots anti social people where you came from. I know I do. Its not as if our own nationality has no idiots. But people like to stereotype its a form of nationalism. Putting others down to feel good about themselves. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not puffing.. Trans guess you have no sense of humor. Brits are often called soap dodgers and Dutch stoners. So im not doing myself any favors either. Just adding to the Brit who made fun of all others except themselves. You really have thin skin Trans. 

So its ok for Brits (the guy i responded to is a Brit) put others down.. but then when someone else makes a small jibe at a Brit and his own nationality you start to cry.. strange.

Never heard of the term and it's Humour not "humor", just as in labour not "labor".

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

From my observation you have class levels so you're question is difficult to classify basically I would say there's a three fold meaning the poor are helpless the working class are controlled by the rich and rich Thai gets richer. 

Yes, it is true that there are class levels in Thailand as well.

However, studies have been done where for example Thais were asked to rank work accomplishment and harmonious social relations, and across the board all classes ranked work accomplishment lower than harmonious social relations.

So there are values that are held across the board by all classes of Thais.

Brits as soap dodgers,  that might have came about in one of Lord Hawhaw, broadcasts, he said we are going to drop bombs on Coventry,London,

and drop soap on Jarrow...one thing us Brits can do is laugh at ourselves......and other nationalities.

regards worgeordie   P.S. I thought the French were soap dodgers,isn't why the invented perfume

Edited by worgeordie
  • Like 2