BANGKOK
dddave

Express VPN vs. Pure VPN: Opinions??

32 minutes ago, DerekJ said:

ExpressVPN works great but the only service I’ve seen that it can’t get so far is Amazon Prime. Can PureVPN get Amazon Prime as well? Or rather what VPN service gets Amazon Prime? 

Thanks 

Derek 

Put your Express VPN on LA 3

if you need the one that offers more servers around the world NordVPN is the only one.

I checked all.

18 minutes ago, RANGER55 said:

For amazon prime, CBS All Access and Sling on Express VPN. Set your router to LA3, not LA 2 or 1. They also work on a few other locations in the states, one being New Jersey site. But LA 3 is the best.

Yep, I had good success with LA3 in the past as well....  But the VPN providers periodically change and shift their IP address ranges associated with particular city/servers... So if you find something that works, keep using it... But just beware, you may have to switch to a different server at some point in the future.... I always go thru the entire servers list and test them one by one... So that I keep a list of what servers work for what things I use, and so I also have 2nd and 3rd connection options if my first option stops working.

• Like 1

Another option is to use Smartdns proxy. Have used them for three years now and can access American Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Australian tv channels etc.

They offer a free trial and subscriptions are not expensive.  Unlike a VPN this service does not slow down your internet speed.

Worth a look if you wish.

14 minutes ago, RANGER55 said:

As for NetFlix, if you have a smart TV with the link for Netflix on the TV, with a subscription to NetFlix you do not have to have a VPN, I run it through my true router/modem (no VPN). Just sign into the site with user name and PW. I just checked to make sure.

Your Smart TV only allows you to watch the Netflix programming that is allocated for Thailand. When you log-in to your Netflix account, you receive content according to your ISP address. You can't watch content that is available in the US or other regions, unless you unblock geographically restricted content by hiding your ISP.

I use PrivateVPN has many survers and even 1 just for Amazon Prime.  I watch Thai Netflex but canuse the VPN  to USA Netflex or even ones  in other countries. I sign up for 3 months at less rhan $15

58 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

Your Smart TV only allows you to watch the Netflix programming that is allocated for Thailand. When you log-in to your Netflix account, you receive content according to your ISP address. You can't watch content that is available in the US or other regions, unless you unblock geographically restricted content by hiding your ISP.

Just went and checked both back and forth between VPN to US Netflix and TV through Thailand NetFlix and found very little difference. Actually, Thailand had a few movies not playing now on the US with VPN (Jumanji for one). The only real difference was Thailand had a top 10 recommended list of movies playing now which I did not see on the US site. Over all very little difference that I could tell from going back and forth. People in Thailand pay for English movies. The big difference is if you play with a Thailand router/Tv you can get Thai in the subtitles where as if you use VPN/US no Thai subtitles. Didn’t know that till my Niece told me. Some times she will watch with the Thai subtitles, some times with a VPN to watch with English subtitles to practice her English.

But it comes down to Netfic is Netflix.

Posted (edited)

From various accounts, there's a considerable difference between the U.S. and Thailand catalogs available via Netflix...  But it only matters, if either country's catalog actually has the things you want to see. The U.S. version of Netflix has a larger catalog than any other individual country.

Under 40% of Netflix’s 13,500+ titles are available in its US catalogue – more than are available in any other country.

The Netflix International Map below shows the number of TV shows and movies available in each market active Netflix market; 

Netflix Thailand:

Screenshot_1.jpg.4ac3f682f2fb985c23b030967036b317.jpg

Netflix U.S.

Screenshot_2.jpg.5b5b40aa81b553aac02a930a1fb6edaf.jpg

https://www.finder.com/global-netflix-library-totals

Those totals above may be from an older list produced by the Finder site. When I dig further, I find an update by country for Netflix movies that they say is current as of July 2020:

US movies - 3712

https://www.finder.com/netflix-movies

Thailand movies - 3202

https://www.finder.com/th/netflix-movies

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

4 hours ago, dddave said:

I have a Win 10 NUC PC connected to my (non-smart) TV thru which I get my content, including Netflix.  My VPN is installed on the NUC and the NUC runs off of wifi: 3BB fiber via a 3BB supplied router. 

Could you elaborate on the issue: a router requiring it's own VPN?

I am exactly the same as you. You cannot put Express on the router 3BB supply you with, and one which does will cost you. Stick as you are! 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, stouricks said:

I am exactly the same as you. You cannot put Express on the router 3BB supply you with, and one which does will cost you. Stick as you are! 

You can daisychain a 2nd router with the 3BB provided router, and thus use a VPN based router of your own. ASUS routers that will allow that run anywhere from $60 U.S. to $200 U.S. 

The exact means of accomplishing that depends on what specific 3BB router you've been issued. But in general, it involves running an ethernet cable out from one of the 3BB router's LAN ports and into the WAN port of your own VPN capable router. You also typically will need to change the router IP address on your personal router to a different subnet from the 3BB router, to make sure they don't conflict with each other, just in case they both are defaulted to 192.168.1.1.  So in that case, you'd set your personal VPN router instead, for example, to 192.168.2.1, giving it a different subnet address.

In some cases, people actually turn off entirely the wifi aspect of the 3BB router, and only use the wifi from their personal VPN router. In other cases, again depending on the 3BB router, you can run both at the same time, having TH wifi coming from the 3BB router and VPN wifi coming from your own router.

PS -- AFAIK, none of the 3BB issued routers have VPN client support built into their firmware, either their Huawei models or their FiberHome ones.  You gotta go elsewhere for that in terms of routers.  But it doesn't mean you're stuck using ONLY the 3BB router.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

Re NordVPN , I have just hit the wrong button and removed my wifi from " my trusted wifi network " is there anyway to get it back again ?