Extension of Amnesty Unlikely?

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/07/10/visa-amnesty-extension-unlikely-immigration-spox-says/

“There most likely will not be an extension. It’s all quiet on that front. It’s been a long time and we need to clear out people,” Phakkaphong said. “Thailand and the Thai government are already generous. No other country has this long of a visa amnesty.”

No official word from the cabinet though. Is this person's word reliable?

• Like 2

First amnesty: Announced 7th April, started 26th March, extended until 30th April.

Second amnesty (actually extension of the first): Announced 24th April, extended until 31st July.

So the first amnesty was announced 11 days after it started and the extension 6 days before the amnesty ended.

I suspect an announcement on 21st July. But it wouldn't surprise me too much if they make an announcement on 29th (usually the cabinet meeting would be 28th, but this is a holiday).

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

I think it's very likely, almost certain it'll be extended.  All tourists here simply cannot all be gone by July 31, that's fact.  Not with limited and cancelled flights and no borders open.  You may have to pay, but you'll be able to stay.  

People are now allowed to transit in the following places, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taipei.

I dont see how the authorities are going to think nobody can get home. Like they said in the article , in a rare case where you can prove you have no way to return to your home country then a letter from your embassy may suffice. 
I am on google flights researching the options , plenty of flights available. 

Edited by at15

>After July 31, overstay fines as well as the 90-day report requirements will resume if the immigration declined to extend the amnesty. Foreigners who plan to continue staying in Thailand are >advised to renew their visas and 90-day reports before then.

>“I recommend you do it within this month,” Phakkaphong said. 

Well Mr Plakraphong, my NonO visa expires end of Sept and I was always told I could not extend it until 5 weeks before the date of expiry? How do you explain that then? Can I go this month like you say to extend until Sept 2021?

9 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

>After July 31, overstay fines as well as the 90-day report requirements will resume if the immigration declined to extend the amnesty. Foreigners who plan to continue staying in Thailand are >advised to renew their visas and 90-day reports before then.

>“I recommend you do it within this month,” Phakkaphong said. 

Well Mr Plakraphong, my NonO visa expires end of Sept and I was always told I could not extend it until 5 weeks before the date of expiry? How do you explain that then? Can I go this month like you say to extend until Sept 2021?

for real? he was referring to people whose extensions expire before july 31st>
you obviously can do yours in mid August

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Why is one group dependent on the other?  Bringing in new tourists is not hindered by the presence of existing tourist who are still here. Or am I missing something where these two groups are not mutually exclusive?

Undocumented tourists who have had a free pass, not something Thai immigration like. People were lucky immigration did this amnesty at some point it has to end and people go home.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Undocumented tourists who have had a free pass, not something Thai immigration like. People were lucky immigration did this amnesty at some point it has to end and people go home.

Undocumented = No passport? Or otherwise?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, audaciousnomad said:

“There most likely will not be an extension. It’s all quiet on that front. It’s been a long time and we need to clear out people

Should not be all quiet on that front...If you want tourist out you should timely alarm them and help with possible solutions...

Is this an official?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jajazazajaja said:

????

Your agent knows full well this “announcement” is unofficial and means absolutely nothing. 

EXACTLY.
So many stories on this forum of "If I had known they were going to officially announce blah-blah, I would not have paid my agent XK-THB for a stamp I didn't need!"

Whoever pays now is buying "peace of mind" and helping the agent pay their bills this month. A generous(but unnecessary) pledge of financial assistance to the local economy.

Edited by audaciousnomad
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

I don't speak for all, but there are some here who would willingly pay for an "in-country" visa application/extension if LOS would offer it. The requirement to exit is an unnecessary hindrance.
Also, tourists who are already here are not as big covid risk compared to new arrivals. With the decimated tourism industry, it's a win-win if they would offer a legitimate way for us to continue patronizing the country without having to exit/re-enter.

They really don't care about a few bars and restaurants in tourist resorts to cater to foreigners. Guys and girls on amnesty also might start to run out of money and have no insurance.

10 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Immigration does, but ask the tourist sector if they want to clear people out. Nobody new is coming, why even mention it at this stage? It's not happening. It's going to be months before new ones come, your choice is to slash the already low tourist base, or allow them to keep spending. Seems like a no brainer.

A "no brainer" in western countries, but TIT.

• Like 2