BANGKOK
Hal65

What could cause electric to double in kwh used for the month?

Last month my electric bill was the highest ever, at a little over 1,500 baht. Normally it is around 1,100, and I pay 8 baht per kwh (unit). 

This month though, the electric was 2,800 baht. so almost double the previous high.

I live in a 30 sqm apartment. My usage hasn't changed. Actually it has gone down from the March through May period when it's the hottest.

Any idea what might cause such a large increase in usage?

My landlord said if it's very high again he will replace the meter. Could that be the issue?

I'm suspecting that there might be an electricity leakage somewhere. I don't know enough about this to really know if that's a realistic scenario though.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

My landlord said if it's very high again he will replace the meter. Could that be the issue?

it could be.  (meter OR your landlord)

Do you have "Safe-T-Cut" in your breaker box?  If so, it's not likely you have a "leak".

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Like 1

There's some strange goings on with electricity lately.

For one we are having the highest bills ever, even with the discount.

And for another I am not convinced we get the power we are supposed to get, all I know is it takes for ever to cook a baked potato in the oven.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't even know where the breaker is. I'm on the 3rd floor and there is only one meter next to mine. I will look into this though, thanks for the tip

Probably not related but we had a huge jump in our electric bill in April/May. it was very hot and humid. We stopped using aircon the following month and cut our usage in half.

• Like 1

Why are you paying 8 bht a unit?.....I live 42sqm apartment and bill never over 500 bht......even with out the increase this month you are paying double the standard price for electric.

• Like 2

The Electric here in Thailand is really weird.

Have had new Meters on Apartments running backwards ???? And Lights that need to ~ fill up ~ with power before they actually come on

One light comes on in the Lounge sometimes, and the other 3 take maybe as much as 5 minutes before they come on.

All on the same circuit and circuit has been checked ( all ok )

• Sad 1

maybe therre had been an extensive string of kikyat Meter Estimations?

- and finally an Actual Reading was taken?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I honestly don't believe that she understands that switches have an "off" setting as well as an "on" setting!

easily  remedied by  charging  her.