5 yr driving license renewal in Chiang Mai?

Tracyb

Hi all,  

Has anyone renewed their 5 yr driving license in Chiang Mai in the past few weeks?  I heard that the  DLT is open and issuing licenses again.  If you've been to do it, please let me know if they req'd a "Health Certificate" for the renewal of the 5 yr. license and also how the process worked when you went in.

TIA!

Edited by Tracyb
spelling

22 hours ago, Yabiaomer said:

yes, you need Health Certificate and Residence Certificate. Just walk in and ask at the information booth .. I did it today

A health certificate requirement may be dependent on the type of visa you have.

I asked and was told I didn't need one. I did not get one and was not asked.

Best to ask.  They will list the requirements.  The new office, about 100 meters from the main building (Mae Hia), was where I went.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2020 at 2:57 PM, habfan said:

Any one know when the amnesty for renewing your 5 year licence because of Covid 19 ends?

...i dont know when the amnesty finishes..however you have up to one years grace to renew your 5 year license before it fully expires and cannot be renewed.

On 7/11/2020 at 2:45 PM, Wandr said:

A health certificate requirement may be dependent on the type of visa you have.

I asked and was told I didn't need one. I did not get one and was not asked.

Best to ask.  They will list the requirements.  The new office, about 100 meters from the main building (Mae Hia), was where I went.

Do you have the coordinates for this new office so I can find it with my GPS?  Thanks in advance.

Also, is there a form to fill in as well as all the documents?

• Like 1

And now for the one weird trick you can do in getting a driver's license. I didn't believe it when I read about it but I gave it a shot. Just renew your license one day after your birthday. You get an extra 364 or 365 days depending on whether it's a leap year. That's a full extra year minus one day. At least it worked that way the last time I went for a license.

It's not really a new location.  It's within the DLT compound in Mae Hia. DLT is a couple hundred meters before Big C if you are driving south on the 108.

The preprocessing was moved to the new office. That's where you will get told which documents to bring and be given a date to watch the video.

I reported there on the appointment day but they then sent us to the main building for the video and to collect the license.

After entering the DLT compound, you will turn right. Take the first left after that and then another left. The office is in front there.

9 hours ago, furburglar said:

And now for the one weird trick you can do in getting a driver's license. I didn't believe it when I read about it but I gave it a shot. Just renew your license one day after your birthday. You get an extra 364 or 365 days depending on whether it's a leap year. That's a full extra year minus one day. At least it worked that way the last time I went for a license.

I can't remember if I renewed after my birthday but the last time I renewed they gave me 6 years....  ????

Reporting now about my visit to Chiang Mai DLT office yesterday, July 15, to renew my five year car driving license.

I have a non-IMM 0-A Visa and extension of stay valid thru October.

I had a Thai friend call ahead and ask what was needed.  I was asked to bring the following:

My actual passport

An actual, not photocopied, residence certificate recently issued from our “friendly” IO in Chiang Mai.
My actual license (which expired at the end of June)

Photocopy of my license front and back

The following photocopies of my passport info:

Front Info page of passport
Original Visa

Most recent extension of stay (That showed October expiry)

Latest entry stamp.

All photocopy pages signed in blue ink.

They had no interest in and didn’t ask me for a health certificate.

I brought all to the new building ( directions to which are provided in an earlier post in this thread). The signage, which is hard to mess, directs one to the DRIVERS LICENSE QUEUE NUMBER area.

I entered the little building, presented all of my photocopies, my passport and my license.  The very pleasant woman took everything, checked them over, and scanned my actual passport to find the latest extension stamp and entry stamp.

She put all the photocopies in the order she wanted, stapled them together with a blank DLT form on top where I need to add my name and phone number.  She filled out an appointment/queue slip and stapled it to the front of the stapled stack of papers, and told me to come back on a specific date in mid August to view a one hour video.  

She asked me to wear long pants and reminded me not to be late!  

I then signed my name on a log sheet that she retained and she smiled and handed back to me all of the docs with the appointment slip attached, told me to bring everything them all with me on the appointed day and hour, and sent me on my way!

All in all, a rather pleasant experience.

Her comment about wearing long pants also reminded me about the need to dress appropriately when visiting a government office!

Easy breezy.

• Like 1