Not everything that glitters is gold, warn officials

snoop1130

17 hours ago, anterian said:

If the fake gold has a lead or copper core, then it is easy to tell using Archimedes's principle. However if the criminals use tungsten or depleted uranium it can fool this test. 

I would think that the night light glow would be a bit of a giveaway too, or nobody needing a haircut, nails falling off etc...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, parallaxtech said:

I purchased 20 bars (5-10baht) in 2018 from 2 of the oldest gold shops on the island.  Should I take one bar back and try to sell it to them?  In 2 years, I haven't seen any change in color and each one was weighed and a receipt was given.  What would be your recourse if you were sold fake gold?

Exactly where do you live??

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The official advised people to only purchase the precious metal from shops that have a “Buy with Confidence – BWC” sign, as they are required to maintain standards

Lol... you can't even trust gold shops !

Only a country that cheats you would put a "you can trust us" sign in a shop window!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, johng said:

Depleted Uranium ? Is that readily available ?

Sure, but only buy it from a reputable source, otherwise your bar of depleted uranium might be filled with something else, like gold.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, samsensam said:

People have been warned against buying gold bars from unofficial sources as they may be fake, the Government Public Relations Department said in a Facebook post on Thursday

who would've have thunk it...?!

does your government use facebook to communicate important messages to the population?!

This one uses the national press, also (that's where you read it), same as every other government.

3 hours ago, parallaxtech said:

I purchased 20 bars (5-10baht) in 2018 from 2 of the oldest gold shops on the island.  Should I take one bar back and try to sell it to them?  In 2 years, I haven't seen any change in color and each one was weighed and a receipt was given.  What would be your recourse if you were sold fake gold?

I suppose it depends on which "island" you bought it.

28 minutes ago, hobobo said:

Try your local 7-Eleven, next to chocolate bars ????

They are not gonna put uranium next to the chocolate bars, it will bloody melt them.... 

It will be by the kids toy section 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Beechboy said:

"Glisters"   .... get the quote correct if you want to evoke Shakespeare.

A common mistake from the layman, but a journalist should know better.

".... get the quote correct if you want to evoke Shakespeare".

Trying to suggest that the phrase was wrongly used and stolen from literature is an even more common mistake from the pretentious.

Perhaps they used the word "glitters" because they weren't trying to evoke Shakespeare, they were simply using the expression they chose because it has been in use way before Shakespeare 'plagiarised' it.

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Like 1

No mention of the greatest gold scam in history from our beloved big brother from the North...China?

They gave Thailand the CCP Wuhan Virus. Are they now shipping fake gold to their vassal state?

Sure, the government should do everything to welcome them back and why not fall into a CCP Debt trap an build the Kra Canal with Chinese money too?

Is someone is on the take somewhere? 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, parallaxtech said:

Yes, by all means.

First :You will know for sure if real or not

Second: Really good profit in less than 2 years, anyway

Third: At the worst, change your mind just before receiving the money from them

... Please report back !

26 minutes ago, Sighto said:

Yes, by all means.

First :You will know for sure if real or not

Second: Really good profit in less than 2 years, anyway

Third: At the worst, change your mind just before receiving the money from them

... Please report back !

You don't even need to do that.

You just bring your bar and ask them how much they are ready to pay for it.

As soon as they give you a figure, on their calculator as usual, you just say "thank you, I will think about it".

If the bar is fake, the calculator will show a line of zeros...

If you have the receipt they gave you, they should always buy it back from you.  Not sure about bars,  but on jewelry each shop has their own small stamp that will confirm it is their piece.  

3 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Until the collapse of the actual monetary system...most probably during this decade...

I bought gold as an insurance, not for making a profit.

You're not the only one, but I'm a bit afraid about Thai gold in contrast to 99,9 gold.

I have both but I'm afraid when I try to sell 99,9  here they like to cheating me for Thai gold.

Incidentally do you have any idea to bring pure gold here in Thailand from overseas?

Is it allowed?

2 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

You're not the only one, but I'm a bit afraid about Thai gold in contrast to 99,9 gold.

I have both but I'm afraid when I try to sell 99,9  here they like to cheating me for Thai gold.

Incidentally do you have any idea to bring pure gold here in Thailand from overseas?

Is it allowed?

I also have both and I have kept the receipts for the 99,9% gold...which I would sell last if it came to that.

The truth is I would keep the 99,9% in case I had (be forced) to leave Thailand.

Generally I have found the Thai sellers very professional.

I brought from Europe some 18 carat gold which I sold here without problem, and with the correct discount for purity.

You can bring gold from overseas, depending on the quantity...of course if it is big bars, it might raise some questions.

Normally there is an import tax to pay.

I wanted to buy coins from Singapore (cannot find them here), but it's not worth it because of the tax.

If one day we can move freely again, I will buy them over there and bring them back with me.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

I also have both and I have kept the receipts for the 99,9% gold...which I would sell last if it came to that.

The truth is I would keep the 99,9% in case I had (be forced) to leave Thailand.

Generally I have found the Thai sellers very professional.

I brought from Europe some 18 carat gold which I sold here without problem, and with the correct discount for purity.

You can bring gold from overseas, depending on the quantity...of course if it is big bars, it might raise some questions.

Normally there is an import tax to pay.

I wanted to buy coins from Singapore (cannot find them here), but it's not worth it because of the tax.

If one day we can move freely again, I will buy them over there and bring them back with me.

Nice, about coins I bought them in a goldmeltingshop in Hong Kong for agio price, but of course only Chinese coins (Panda's)

9 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Nice, about coins I bought them in a goldmeltingshop in Hong Kong for agio price, but of course only Chinese coins (Panda's)

That's the one, the gold Panda, for some reason not available in Thailand...