What do you wish you had brought with you when you Relocated to Thailand

Pilotman

On 7/10/2020 at 7:40 PM, Rookiescot said:

My Landrover.

Really miss the old girl.

Me too.

Left the UK in 2011 for Cambodia sold everything. Left with 2 suitcases.

Moved to Thailand 3 years ago with 4 suitcases, mind you one had my home safe in it and not much else.

Landrover.thumb.jpg.c19d124a24deba8ea86aa0f5c0b43932.jpg

On 7/10/2020 at 5:48 PM, bkk6060 said:

I sold or gave away every last thing in my home country.

House, car, furniture, everything.

I came here with absolutely one suitcase.

It contained some clothes and important papers.

The last thing I want to do in my older years is accumulate things.

I had ¨stuff¨ all my life and wanted no more burden of any of it.

So glad I did.  The only thing of significance I have purchased here is a motorbike and 7 golf clubs.  Even then, it took me a few years to commit.

I guess I am a minimalist.  The less things the better for me less stress and makes life so much happier.

I totally agree with your attitude.

I gave away lots of my things,but still have many tools etc stored in my 20foot container.

Storing is probably unwise,but i still own properties in nz..

May ???? Decide to return.

In retirement,its imporyant to keep life simple.

Paying huge money to brings belongings to thailand is ridiculous.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 8:36 AM, GreasyFingers said:

<snip>

I would love to have a gas BBQ with a solid metal plate and not pay $800-$1000 for one with only a grill. I think the last one I bought back home was $200.

I shipped a high quality gas BBQ from the US, but it was completely destroyed in transit. No way was I going to pay $800 for a replacement, so we made do with a cheap charcoal grill from HomePro.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My King size memory mattress, perfect condition, went to give it to a local UK charity that helps people who cannot afford furniture. They took the old single bed mattress but would not take the king size bed as it had a very small tear (about a 1/4inch) on the side apart from that nothing wrong with it. Could not belive it (H&S) ended up in the skip. So miss that mattress

On 7/10/2020 at 8:00 PM, anterian said:

My workshop and my library. 

I did bring with me over 300 books, thank goodness. I have now become the local library for farangs who didn't bother. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 6:09 PM, CGW said:

Wouldn't that be pleasant! the winters would preferably just be a week or so though! The winters in Isan are cold enough for me, just short and unpredictable, houses here not built with cold in mind.

Apart from the decent quality garden tools, near everything else on the OP list is available here, just a pain locating and much more expensive, not so sure about the "kids"! ???? 

Be nice if we could buy a tax free car here every ten years like you can in Malaysia on a retirement visa!

I couldn’t find a decent garden fork here but found a website where there was a great range of tools of all types I ordered the fork through a place in Chiang Mai it will certainly outlast me.

Yes books ...... I didn't realise that decent technical books just do not exist in Thailand, and even paperback novels are hideously expensive. Whenever i go back to the UK, i bring a couple of books -but damn heavy so only a few because only have a few kilos to spare.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

I couldn’t find a decent garden fork here but found a website where there was a great range of tools of all types I ordered the fork through a place in Chiang Mai it will certainly outlast me.

Trade you for two bent ones?

2 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Yes books ...... I didn't realise that decent technical books just do not exist in Thailand, and even paperback novels are hideously expensive. Whenever i go back to the UK, i bring a couple of books -but damn heavy so only a few because only have a few kilos to spare.

Have you tried Asia books online store, best "deal" for books I have found, prices can be quite reasonable.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rickudon said:

I brought a kindle because it would work our cheap , I also got iPad but the kindle is easier on the eyes , but on iPad I get to see the pictures better.  I read a lot of free good books and can get nearly every book at cheaper price than paperback including the technical ones

• Like 1

The one thing that I really miss, and would have brought here , was my 2006 Nissan Navara Outlaw Pickup Truck.

Back in 2007 when I came over the truck had a far superior spec than any truck available today in Thailand.

Due to all the Transport costs, Importation Taxes Etc Etc, it was  cost prohibitive.

IE £33,000 for a second hand vehicle imported from the UK with a UK value of 15K

I looked into a replacement Navara here, but it was rubbish, and more money.

Not the same power in the Engine, although quoted as being the same, no 4 WD on the fly, no dual zone air con, no cruise control, no auto windscreen wipe, no auto headlight wipe, Crappy interior spec Etc Etc 

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

Can you pm me that website please?Need a good spade,bought one many years ago at Homepro.

Very good quality spade but now is getting very short and another one like it not to be found any where.

I wouldn't have brought along anything else, I like to travel light. Most can be bought in (or from) Thailand anyway, albeit at a price - well worth it in some cases (the OP mentioned quality kitchenware), less so in other cases.

As an added benefit of not bringing anything much along, visiting my home country now feels somewhat exotic, because I can use my favorite childhood brands again. ????

2 hours ago, ntaylo13 said:

A U.K brewery.

I was going to say ' The Crooked Inn '.  10 mins. from home in Plymouth , across into Cornwall and 4 pints of Hicks Special Draught. Bring the pub here with enough kegs to see me out.

Oh in the summer I went on my Royal Enfield , I would like that too please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I did bring with me over 300 books, thank goodness. I have now become the local library for farangs who didn't bother. 

I wish you lived up this way , my daughter brings a suitcase full of books when she can get here . I have about 40 and some I have read 3 times.