What do you wish you had brought with you when you Relocated to Thailand

Pilotman

On 7/10/2020 at 7:56 PM, Grumpy John said:

I could live like a King when one Aussie scholar bought 32.50 baht so I left my money in the bank in Oz.  Wrong move!  Hindsight is a wonderful thing....agreed?  ????

32 baht per Aud those were the days

Wine women, song, women, wine  :burp:

I brought everything except my car but wished i had brought my stock of wine and liquor. i sold it for next to nothing because it was illegal to import but i did not know then about tea money.

This topic is great.  I'm adding to my list of the things I must stock up on before leaving for CM soon with a 20' container with a little more room remaining.

Most of the stuff is packed and stowed in garage already.  Looks like late Aug. or early Sep timeframe for the move.

19 minutes ago, CaptainCarrot said:

I believe I am right that it is a once-only concession. A 10-year renewal does not come with this.

You may well be right? a friend who has a ten year told me different as he planned on getting new vehicle when he renewed this year.

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

Yes books ...... I didn't realise that decent technical books just do not exist in Thailand, and even paperback novels are hideously expensive.

Never heard about e-books? 

I brought the two most important things I could think of (barring the obvious: money and a passport)

They were:

1) A complete set of Lagostina pots and pans (made in Italy) . I paid $700 for a 5 pot set with lids. 16 gauge surgical stainless steel, a solid welded aluminum bottom and hot riveted handles on pots and lids. Guaranteed for life and worth every damn penny. The pots people cook on here would be embarrassing for the average Canadian to take camping. 

2) A 32 kg bag of tools ( I was allowed 2 - 32kg checked bags and 1 - 10kg carry on.) 

I've been using the pots for 15 years and they look new. The tools have been used so much I can't even begin to think how much easier they have made my life.  

One of my first big purchases was an Electrolux stainless steel oven/range. 3 gas burners and 1 electric with an electric oven big enough for a Canadian sized Christmas turkey!

The kitchen sink 5555555;

Seriously my 5,000 used golf balls retrieved from the golf course lakes and ponds back home................God only knows I think I have put that many balls in the golf course hazards here since playing golf here in Thailand.

Additionally

My 2 bicycles

My 4 sets of spare golf clubs

My plumbing tools

Other then the above items we got the whole house and garage contents into the container.

I was unaware that paying the 10,000 Baht tea money for the carrier to get my container released out of Thai customs afforded me the opportunity to bring just about anything I liked. 

<deleted>!

1 hour ago, jvs said:

Can you pm me that website please?Need a good spade,bought one many years ago at Homepro.

Very good quality spade but now is getting very short and another one like it not to be found any where.

I got one online from Rutlands here in thailand .Great Spade .Not Cheap.     E.mail/call them. 

Rutlands stainless spades    https://www.thaialltools.com/product/1209/พลั่ว-stainless-steel-garden-spades-rutland

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

My King size memory mattress, perfect condition, went to give it to a local UK charity that helps people who cannot afford furniture. They took the old single bed mattress but would not take the king size bed as it had a very small tear (about a 1/4inch) on the side apart from that nothing wrong with it. Could not belive it (H&S) ended up in the skip. So miss that mattress

Same in my country,  its hard even to give away furniture,in good condition.

Even salvation army and other charities,are very selective in what they take..

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

I wish you lived up this way , my daughter brings a suitcase full of books when she can get here . I have about 40 and some I have read 3 times.

I'm am happy to lend my books out to friends and those who have been here a long time really enjoy them.  Most of them are historical books, biographies etc, but a few fiction. Maybe we should consider a Book Exchange Club, for lending and purchase, if there isn't one around already. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

This topic is great.  I'm adding to my list of the things I must stock up on before leaving for CM soon with a 20' container with a little more room remaining.

Most of the stuff is packed and stowed in garage already.  Looks like late Aug. or early Sep timeframe for the move.

Bringing a container,must be expensive plus taxes ??

If you have spare space...why not fill that with euro foodstuffs that are more expensive in thailand.even toothpaste is not so cheap here.

2 hours ago, rickudon said:

Yes books ...... I didn't realise that decent technical books just do not exist in Thailand, and even paperback novels are hideously expensive. Whenever i go back to the UK, i bring a couple of books -but damn heavy so only a few because only have a few kilos to spare.

See Canterbury Tales in pattaya,good new and second hand books

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, murraynz said:

Bringing a container,must be expensive plus taxes ??

If you have spare space...why not fill that with euro foodstuffs that are more expensive in thailand.even toothpaste is not so cheap here.

Ours came out to a little over £4.000, door to door with packing and unpacking included.  Damage was just one broken plate. 

On 7/10/2020 at 8:36 PM, GreasyFingers said:

Most of the things you mention I have bought here, Chinese of course, but all work and at the price they can easily be replaced. Bought a new computer here with English and Thai keyboard that is great when the family want to tell me something that they/I do not understand.But:

I would love to have a gas BBQ with a solid metal plate and not pay $800-$1000 for one with only a grill. I think the last one I bought back home was $200.

You can get them here (gas BBQs) full size with everything just google it i saw some a couple of years ago advertised somewhere in Chiang Mai but expensive because imported .

I can't point at anything specific that I should have brought, nothing big certainly.  Every so often I go to get something and go "bug ger, I didn't bring that", but nothing important has cropped up in 3 years, so I think I'm OK.

Initially I did swear at myself for not bring my socket set, but, as I haven't needed it, looks like leaving it was the right thing to do.