What do you wish you had brought with you when you Relocated to Thailand

Pilotman

6 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Did you ship it in a container as part of your household goods?  I'm considering buying a BBQ before we leave Las Vegas for CM in a few weeks.  We're shipping a container and am concerned by your comment about damages during shipment.

It was a partial load, meaning we had just 2 pallets of mostly boxes and the BBQ that were well-wrapped with plastic by the shipping company. Shipped from Miami to Laem Chabang and then on to Phuket. From Miami, they were taken by truck to Charlotte NC instead of ocean freight directly from Miami.  With all of that handling, there were lots of opportunities for damage to occur, so I'm not entirely sure what happened. I suspect, however, that the BBQ got damaged on the last leg from Laem Chabang to Phuket, since the load arrived in an overloaded pickup truck instead of the promised 10 wheel truck. I'd suggest leaving the BBQ un-assembled in the box, ours was used and assembled so more prone to damage.

On the other hand - when we moved back to the US from Phuket, we completely loaded up a 20' container and there was zero damage when it arrived, aside from some strange effect on a few things, possibly due to the fumigation chemicals.

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

On a retirement visa you're not even allowed to import a car. Those that can will face a fierce battle with customs about import tax, its not just read from a tariff list 

At that time it was still a go....I was provided Thai gov issued pamphlets showing papers needed, permissions filed - etc....All the protocols were adhered to & an agent involved.....

All was ok until it arrived - somebody saw it and wanted ot, it was a 4x4 I'd built from the ground up.....

Then they searched paperwork for loopholes while the agent I pointed out their errors....They then told me the law had changed while the container was a sea - so sorry......The paperwork was solid.....They said the pamphlet info wasn't valid  - it was supplied by the Thai embassy.....

23 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

At that time it was still a go....I was provided Thai gov issued pamphlets showing papers needed, permissions filed - etc....All the protocols were adhered to & an agent involved.....

All was ok until it arrived - somebody saw it and wanted ot, it was a 4x4 I'd built from the ground up.....

Then they searched paperwork for loopholes while the agent I pointed out their errors....They then told me the law had changed while the container was a sea - so sorry......The paperwork was solid.....They said the pamphlet info wasn't valid  - it was supplied by the Thai embassy.....

Hmm, well I'm talking four years ago. People entering on O/A visa could not even bring in sporting equipment (golf clubs or anything), unless hidden right at the back of a 40' box (my removal company wouldn't bend the rules, and I wasn't savvy enough to smuggle my high powered air rifle into the container myself). Fair play to them, they were amazing in every other way. 

Before that time I have heard stories of cars being literally stolen by customs like your experience. A legal fight has ensued and a lot of money changed hands to get the car back.

I would never move country without using a first class removal company with their own offices in both countries. Some people try to cut corners. They often end up the losers (I'm not saying that's your story). 

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

Hmm, well I'm talking four years ago. People entering on O/A visa could not even bring in sporting equipment (golf clubs or anything), unless hidden right at the back of a 40' box (my removal company wouldn't bend the rules, and I wasn't savvy enough to smuggle my high powered air rifle into the container myself). Fair play to them, they were amazing in every other way. 

Before that time I have heard stories of cars being literally stolen by customs like your experience. A legal fight has ensued and a lot of money changed hands to get the car back.

I would never move country without using a first class removal company with their own offices in both countries. Some people try to cut corners. They often end up the losers (I'm not saying that's your story). 

Offices on both ends - they had actually gave me a day to come get it.....I went down & they took me into an office & said no-go....

I had 200k in my pocket anticipating a buy out = no-go....I then engaged attorneys that were supposed to specialize in this, with multiple trips/meetings to BKK from CM....I spent about 700k trying to keep it....

My guess is somebody saw it & held - ordered/claimed it....I'd packed breakables inside it to take advantage of the suspension while in transit - they tried to take that too....

I would have left it with my daughter in the states - she loved it.....Unfortunately, she died in a car accident going to uni in Aug, I moved in Dec and felt compelled to bring it with me....It wasn't a fun time.....

10 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Offices on both ends - they had actually gave me a day to come get it.....I went down & they took me into an office & said no-go....

I had 200k in my pocket anticipating a buy out = no-go....I then engaged attorneys that were supposed to specialize in this, with multiple trips/meetings to BKK from CM....I spent about 700k trying to keep it....

My guess is somebody saw it & held - ordered/claimed it....I'd packed breakables inside it to take advantage of the suspension while in transit - they tried to take that too....

I would have left it with my daughter in the states - she loved it.....Unfortunately, she died in a car accident going to uni in Aug, I moved in Dec and felt compelled to bring it with me....It wasn't a fun time.....

Oh god, what a nightmare time. I'm so sorry for you, I don't have the words. 

• Thanks 1