Johnson to ban supermarket promotions of unhealthy food - The Times

snoop1130

12 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Nanny state? 

My answer is for those in charge to give out good advice on health that is backed by science and this was one step in the right direction. Similar to advising people not to drink bleach. or the banning of Arsenic-Laced Chicken, for that particular delicacy you'll need to travel to the US.

If a ban on supermarkets promotions of unhealthy foods helps then great. Nanny state or no nanny state

Or go down the route of tackling the problem when its already too late with your suggestion of denying life saving treatments in NHS hospitals for obese people which make up 28% of all people in England at the moment, or deny them knee replacements as you also suggested. 

I'll stick with the Nanny state thanks

I never said they couldn't get life saving treatment or knee replacements- I said they shouldn't get them on the taxpayer. By all means pay for them themselves.

Nurses should have the right to refuse to physically help obese people and get ruined backs. As a retired nurse I'm happy that obese people have to be lifted by a crane now.

Obesity is caused by gluttony and eating bad food and nothing to do with medical conditions, despite what fat people say. Don't want to get fat- don't eat so much and do more physical activity. Hardly rocket science.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

IMO you have a degree of  obsession  with  obesity.  I agree  obesity  is  a  genuine health  factor  in many  places  and a phenomenon  in itself. But  in  health  terms it is not more significant  than other and  combined  incremental health anomalies that  many  health  professionals would place concern as to  cause other than  excessive eating.

Obesity may or  may not be so easily  and  singularly attributable to  excesses  in diet rather than other  combined factors which  make it inevitable because of a chemical additive disruption in metabolism.

In the purchase of medicinal compounds there is now the obligatory information  sheet  listing  details of  use purposes and all known/recorded  possible  side  effects.

When you  buy a  cabbage, a lettuce, a potato do you  get same  advisory  information about  the  various  chemicals that  brought it ( supposedly)  in sufficient  pristine condition to your attention  enough  to  decide it  is  safe to  eat? When you  buy  chicken, pork, beef do you  get a  declaration that it  does  or  does  not  contain  contaminants  and/if it does  what  consequences   for  health  they  may have?

As an ex nurse you'd better believe that I have a "degree of  obsession  with  obesity". Whose back got ruined by fatties with no self control? I bet not yours. Unfortunately we didn't have cranes in my day to lift them.

So, to those about to shovel a whole heap of sugar laden bad food down, remember that if you get obese and have to go to hospital with one of the many diseases caused by being fat you are going to be humiliated by being lifted by a crane.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As an ex nurse you'd better believe that I have a "degree of  obsession  with  obesity". Whose back got ruined by fatties with no self control? I bet not yours. Unfortunately we didn't have cranes in my day to lift them.

So, to those about to shovel a whole heap of sugar laden bad food down, remember that if you get obese and have to go to hospital with one of the many diseases caused by being fat you are going to be humiliated by being lifted by a crane.

Ok. I  can well understand what motivates  your issue with obesity in that  very personalized  manner.

However you are not alone in suffering a  permanent back problem due to occupational hazard. Not as a nurse  but involved in very frequent lifting and  transfers of adult individuals from vehicles to  beds, wheelchairs. Rarely did we  have access to  lifting hoists but employed the  "two person " technique as normal practice. I still suffer  from the lasting  effects of a  lumbar injury  caused in fact  by an indifferent  Nurse when she simply dropped a  clients  legs  halfway through a transfer to answer  her  bloody personal  mobile phone ! However I hold no general feelings  of  belligerence  to  Nurses.

On 7/11/2020 at 10:35 AM, RuamRudy said:

This is one of these issues that arises regularly in the press where, inevitably a task-force is proposed by the government, push-back received from the supermarkets and eventually things go on as always. It will be interesting to see whether Johnson can do any better than his predecessors, although I am not convinced that this is anything other than a diversionary tactic - let's talk about fat kids and forget about fat cats.  

What fat cats do you have in mind?

41 minutes ago, jayboy said:

What fat cats do you have in mind?

There are a steady stream of reports at the moment regarding apparent breaches of government tendering rules and the awarding of high value government contracts to companies that seem wholly unsuited to the contracts which they have received. Further delving into them seems to suggest that, in several circumstance, there are links between the recipients and those in government which would normally require much closer scrutiny. These claims are, however, barely being acknowledged by the government, who are following their thus far successful policy of refusing to comment and insisting that the matter is closed. By creating a new, emotive and somewhat divisive 'national crisis', they can draw attention away from their apparent wrongdoings.

Wow, good for him for being honest about himself and trying to take some action against this major worldwide health issue.

I wish they would do it here.

All the booze, fat, grease, oil, sugar.

I would say 90% of the British I have met are fat and obese.

And many smokers also.  Cannot believe obese and smoking is a good mix.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

There are a steady stream of reports at the moment regarding apparent breaches of government tendering rules and the awarding of high value government contracts to companies that seem wholly unsuited to the contracts which they have received. Further delving into them seems to suggest that, in several circumstance, there are links between the recipients and those in government which would normally require much closer scrutiny. These claims are, however, barely being acknowledged by the government, who are following their thus far successful policy of refusing to comment and insisting that the matter is closed. By creating a new, emotive and somewhat divisive 'national crisis', they can draw attention away from their apparent wrongdoings.

Is this the kind of problem you have in mind?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/15/firms-given-1bn-of-state-contracts-without-tender-in-covid-19-crisis

I am sure there are other tendering problem areas.However the facts don't seem to support your thesis.The fast track tendering process was introduced because of the national crisis.The national crisis was not dreamed up as some kind of wheeze to allow corrupt procurement.If there have been dodgy practices this was surely in part at least because of the need to move very quickly.The Guardian - no friend of the Tories - explains the position quite well.You also hint at inappropriate links between suppliers and the government but fail to provide any evidence at all.I'm not suggesting you have been unfair.There's a lot of incompetence involved I have no doubt.However as always the truth tends to reveals cock ups rather than corruption.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 8:39 PM, Dumbastheycome said:

Ok. I  can well understand what motivates  your issue with obesity in that  very personalized  manner.

However you are not alone in suffering a  permanent back problem due to occupational hazard. Not as a nurse  but involved in very frequent lifting and  transfers of adult individuals from vehicles to  beds, wheelchairs. Rarely did we  have access to  lifting hoists but employed the  "two person " technique as normal practice. I still suffer  from the lasting  effects of a  lumbar injury  caused in fact  by an indifferent  Nurse when she simply dropped a  clients  legs  halfway through a transfer to answer  her  bloody personal  mobile phone ! However I hold no general feelings  of  belligerence  to  Nurses.

Unfortunately not all nurses should be in that occupation. Some are excellent, most are average and some should be banned, they are so bad.

On 7/12/2020 at 5:09 PM, jayboy said:

Is this the kind of problem you have in mind?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/15/firms-given-1bn-of-state-contracts-without-tender-in-covid-19-crisis

I am sure there are other tendering problem areas.However the facts don't seem to support your thesis.

I feel that thesis is a somewhat grand term to refer to my 2 minutes of off the cuff writing - maybe I should've aspired for loftier heights than those afforded me by my technical college. 

On 7/12/2020 at 5:09 PM, jayboy said:

You also hint at inappropriate links between suppliers and the government but fail to provide any evidence at all.I'm not suggesting you have been unfair.There's a lot of incompetence involved I have no doubt.However as always the truth tends to reveals cock ups rather than corruption.

Firm with links to Gove and Cummings given Covid-19 contract without open tender

"The Cabinet Office has awarded an £840,000 contract to research public opinion about government policies to a company owned by two long-term associates of Michael Gove and Dominic Cummings, without putting the work out for tender."

• Like 2