Thais Lower Guard against COVID

snoop1130

16 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

I first came in 2009, what are you trying to say? 555

Seems like the saying is that you came too late – that was said also last year, by some of those that arrived in 2009 – but don't worry, I came in 2001 and heard the same, until I told that I had also been here in 1987...????

18 hours ago, Raphus said:

60% of Thais against international tourism.

Well, if the government follow the advice of the populous (if true). Then the country has just signed its economic death warrant.

That has been all the time isn't it?

18 hours ago, Raphus said:

Well, if the government follow the advice of the populous (if true). Then the country has just signed its economic death warrant.

Why, international tourism is only about 11 percent of Gross domestic product, it's just to increase some other fields.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

I first came in 2009, what are you trying to say? 555

went downhill in the late 60s when American servicemen started using Thailand as an R &R that's when all the bars, massage parlours and sex industry really took off

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JCP108 said:

Maybe because they have been told for a month and a half that there are no local transmissions in the entire country? (...despite 20,000 out of 100,000 people in that recent group of random tests who tested positive...they prob weren't just arrived from elsewhere...but, let's not focus on that.)

I sense a cunning plan to deport everybody with possible covid so they show on another countries figures

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gamini said:

went downhill in the late 60s when American servicemen started using Thailand as an R &R that's when all the bars, massage parlours and sex industry really took off

There's still plenty of uninhabited wilderness left in Thailand if life in the 50's is enticing.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sumarianson said:

However. When the total numbers of dead are calculated, they do not differ from any other years figures. 

The yearly total deaths in Thailand was almost exactly the same in 2016, 2017, and 2018 (up and down by less than 1.5% from one year to the next). During those three years, the montly death rate was 39,524. Starting in May of 2019 and continuing through the last reported month (April 2020), the monthly reported deaths (as reported by the Thailand DOPH and found in the data set linked here) has been significantly higher. The DOPH data doesn't give cause. So, one can't assume all excess deaths in Thailand are Covid 19-related. However, a deviation from a years-long stable number starting around the same time Covid 19 arrived raises questions. 

https://github.com/nytimes/covid-19-data/tree/master/excess-deaths

... the risk of dying from COVID is .01% far less than the flu. 

Flu is 0.1% and Covid is 0.6-1.7%.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

In Thailand the risk is far far lower. 

Based on what data?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Anton9 said:

So what people should do?Keep following this stupid rules forever?This virus is not going away any soon, stop the fearmongering and let's go on with our lives.

"Local lockdown" is the new norm in many countries, sounds like you think you are missing out on something else to whinge about.

14 minutes ago, sandyf said:

"Local lockdown" is the new norm in many countries, sounds like you think you are missing out on something else to whinge about.

Don't forget your daily dose of "New normal" and " social distancing".

The new brainwashed model citizen.

Edited by Anton9
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Barmbeker said:

Only about 11%!

Dream on!

We will soon see, how much it really is!

I bet, way more than 11%!

In my compound here in Bkk, they are closing down shops,restaurants and Mini-market almost on a daily basis.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Raphus said:

This Government (and probably most other Governments!) will never follow the advice of the populous! Maybe pay lip service in their pontifications, but at the end of the day they will follow their own agenda! i.e.:-

"In a meeting with Republican senators at the U.S. Capitol, Trump said, (Of Covid-19 Coronavus)  "This was unexpected. ... And it hit the world. And we're prepared, and we're doing a great job with it. And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away."

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

70% of clever Thais oppose International tourism. 

Do they think the country's money grows on trees? 

poor you, the THAI people don't get you correct respect 

for selflessly keeping them fed with your spending. 

20 hours ago, G950 said:

Of course Thais have loosened up a bit. Zero local cases in over a month. Logically you can take a few less precautions now.

That would indeed be logical if the authorities believed that the figures presented were a realistic appraisal of the situation.

• Thanks 1

I guess those daily media reports of "no further cases" makes people ready to neglect protection. Today in my routine park (Bueng Kum) massive numbers of runners as never seen before. My guess is that 85 % did not use face masks, and of those indeed 50% did not even have it at all. Temperature check at the entrance ok, but what for if people from there just walk through? Many guards around, but none would ever dare to approach those unprotected. 
The whole experience was frightening. 

On 7/10/2020 at 2:42 PM, bluesofa said:

Have you got a link to the above, regarding 20% of people in random tests were positive - is this Thailand you're talking about?

20% would be rather high compared to other countries' results when doing blanket testing.

4 hours ago, moon0205 said:

I guess those daily media reports of "no further cases" makes people ready to neglect protection. Today in my routine park (Bueng Kum) massive numbers of runners as never seen before. My guess is that 85 % did not use face masks, and of those indeed 50% did not even have it at all. Temperature check at the entrance ok, but what for if people from there just walk through? Many guards around, but none would ever dare to approach those unprotected. 
The whole experience was frightening. 

How can you run with a facemasks? You should NOT run with a mask but keep distance to fellow runners.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2020 at 11:03 PM, JCP108 said:

Maybe because they have been told for a month and a half that there are no local transmissions in the entire country? (...despite 20,000 out of 100,000 people in that recent group of random tests who tested positive...they prob weren't just arrived from elsewhere...but, let's not focus on that.)

I think that the 20000 tested positive for anti bodies and were free of the virus, meaning there are still more people out there infected. 20 Burmese deported recently tested positive upon arrival in Myanmar but thai authorities said they contracted c19 when they got home.

On 7/10/2020 at 5:54 PM, snoop1130 said:

The latest survey also showed that failure to use the Thaichana app for check-ins and checkouts to facilitate disease investigation

Seeing it all the time now in Chiang Mai - in addition fewer masks being worn properly, previously manned shop entrances now unmanned although the gel & Thaichana QR poster still present. Even in my Condo the staff have stopped wearing masks - when challenged the mask is shown to be on their person but not then worn.

They clearly think it is all over.

I have a gut feeling it is not and have an at risk feeling without a mask on.