Consumers warned on safety of kitchen appliances sold online

snoop1130

Consumers warned on safety of kitchen appliances sold online

By The Nation

800_628e5907629658d.jpg

Online shoppers have been warned to check safety licences on electrical appliances and toys before making purchases. The warning came after the Thai Industrial Standards Institute (TISI) said it was expanding its investigations into the source of online products, after finding that many are not registered with the TISI.

Wanchai Phanomchai, secretary-general of Thai Industrial Standards Institute (TISI), announced the move after an inspection of DMall Commercial and Trading Co warehouses in Onnut district revealed more than 1,400 illegally imported electrical appliances and toys worth Bt2.3 million.

Among the unregistered items stored at the warehouse for sale online were more than 1,000 air fryers, grill pans, shubu pots, sandwich makers, ovens, and toys. TISI officials seized the items and are taking legal action against the company.

"Cheap electrical appliances are becoming popular among consumers, resulting in the smuggling of large quantities of unregistered and unsafe products for sale in Thailand – especially low-price air fryers, which are gaining popularity with people who are staying home amid the Covid-19 outbreak,” said Wanchai.

He advised consumers to carefully check products before purchasing them online, as those without a TISI licence number might not be safe to use.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391089?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-10

Mrs bought a backpack rechargeable garden poison spray machine from Shoppee, Bht 650.

The input socket on the unit is a 'kettle plug' as used on many hifis, kettles etc. Great I thought.

On further opening of the box I found a power supply 220V AC to 12 V DC, with....you guessed it, a KETTLE PLUG. 

16 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Mrs bought a backpack rechargeable garden poison spray machine from Shoppee, Bht 650.

The input socket on the unit is a 'kettle plug' as used on many hifis, kettles etc. Great I thought.

On further opening of the box I found a power supply 220V AC to 12 V DC, with....you guessed it, a KETTLE PLUG. 

The one that always gets me is the twin core flex with a 3 pin plug on the end.

????????????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Just making a comment on qualty or lack of in many things.

So was I... I've seen some Lazada stuff that would have killed the user if plugged in, yet it had all the mandatory FCC and CE marks on... ????

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Logosone said:

So strange, I buy all my Miele online. Never had a problem.

Of course that was in Germany.

That, BTW, is just about the only brand left that still has quality. Some German made Bosch appliances as well. And Kitched Aid from US - classic american overengineering. 

A very, very far cry from the 3C (Cheap Chinese <deleted>) products. Price sticker matches, of course. You can buy quality item once and be happy using it for a decade, or buy 1000 3C products in that 10 years and be miserable ( and lose money at the end ).

Don't buy CCC(P).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

The one that always gets me is the twin core flex with a 3 pin plug on the end.

????????????

Yeah well, even if it was 3-core, how many houses actually have the ground connected all the way and properly ...

Schuko is the best type of plug IMHO. And again .. German.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Yeah well, even if it was 3-core, how many houses actually have the ground connected all the way and properly ...

Our local 'electrician' looked very confused when I bought copper earth spikes when we re-wired the house. Red, black and green wires nearly caused him a mental breakdown. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

IMHO the UK plug is better because it is also fused.

regards worgeordie

I use mostly UK plugs in my home also. They sit far more securely in socket, especially universal socket than US/EU plug, and have fuse on them. They sell this adapter that you can put on EU non-grounded plug to turn it into UK one, which I use extensively. Didn't go as far as some others who have replaced all the wall sockets to UK ones, though.

image.png.40c30d2f48674794fcf6a56a84116fd8.png

Edited by tomazbodner
Added photo of the adapter
  • Like 1

I don't know why but those universal sockets (that take UK plugs)

have gone from every single extension lead in the shops now ?

I found some HACO M4N -U20 sockets and made my own extension lead.

1528332835_HACOM4N-U20.thumb.jpg.2dd19bdaaaf37552ba6395ba342986f6.jpg

1143382322_HACOM4N-U20in.thumb.jpg.e8cd616a76c848937ba593082b840b31.jpg

There is a small problem with the fuse on UK plugs in Thai socket,being that if both are wired correctly for the respective countries  the fuse will be on  the neutral line not the live.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He advised consumers to carefully check products before purchasing them online, as those without a TISI licence number might not be safe to use.

How is anyone supposed to check for the so-called TISI license for a product that's being offered online prior to purchase?

It's not like the online retailers, even the legitimate one, ever make any mention of TISI on their product information pages, AFAIK.

Does TISI have some website where you can enter a product name and/or model number and see whether it's been registered here or not?

16 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

So was I... I've seen some Lazada stuff that would have killed the user if plugged in, yet it had all the mandatory FCC and CE marks on... ????

AFAIK Lazada doesn't actually make any products but just takes orders from online customers, orders the items from the individual suppliers, gets them packed up and ships the lot to a warehouse where the items are delivered by Kerry.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CGW said:

An article I can agree with! i bought a blender from Lazada, good quality, cost ~7,000 Baht, plugged it in for the first time and there was a huge "Bang"! it was 110 volts, there was no mention of this in any of the sales bumf! Lazada refunded cost!

One is suppose to Check the Appliance Before using ,That Includes Operating Volts/Amps/Watts so one knows That one is Safe to use it Without Overloading  once's Electric Circuit and Frying the Appliance.

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

Our local 'electrician' looked very confused when I bought copper earth spikes when we re-wired the house. Red, black and green wires nearly caused him a mental breakdown. ????

Should've ask him to put a couple Two Way Switches for some lights, Simple but impossible for a Claytons Electrician

Last year I was working in Dubai with someone from China, and in my diplomatic way asked him why so many goods from China were such <deleted>. He said everything he bought there was of good quality but they probably sold their rubbish to countries whose only interest was that it was cheap. Quality was irrelevant. That seems to be right. Same as the Chinese tourists that Thailand (used to?) attract. Again, I've seen plenty in Dubai who are perfectly well behaved and who most certainly wouldn't be caught dead fighting at the buffet. Thailand attracts cheap, and definitely won't attract the high end tourists with deep wallets that they imagine can't wait to fly in once the airports are fully open again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

IMHO the UK plug is better because it is also fused.

They are a bit bulky and often sit too tight when compared to Schuko. But yes the ability to use a smaller quick blow fuse is a plus.

16 hours ago, DrTuner said:

All new houses.