Non Immigrant "O" expired 15th may 2020

I have a friend that hve a Non Immigrant O-VISA that expired 15th of may 2020, so he lives here in Thailand, and is under amnesty now up to 31st july 2020....

My question to you guys is; Can he apply now for an yearly extension based on retirement.... even though that his VISA is expired????? Does the amnesty allow him to do that??

thank you

glegolo

From what you wrote I have to make some presumptions, and would say most probably not possible. 

But depending on the answer of the following five questions (to clarify his Visa situation) there might be options for him.

1 - Was his original Visa a 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa that allowed him to stay periods of 3 months OR is he here on a 1-year extension based on his original Non Imm O Visa?

2 - The Visa validity expiry date is hardly relevant once he was in Thailand, but what is the original permission to stay date of that Visa he is staying on?

3 - Is the Visa he is staying on issued for reason of retirement or for reason of marriage/dependant child or another reason?

4 - Is he married to a thai national or does he have a thai dependant child?

5 - In case his entry permission to stay expired during the Amnesty, did he already apply for a 60-day extension of stay (for reason of visiting his wife/dependant child)?

# Additional information of relevance

- What is his age / nationality?

- What is the IO he reports to?

Edited by Peter Denis

9 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

From what you wrote I have to make some presumptions, and would say most probably not possible. 

But depending on the answer of the following five questions (to clarify his Visa situation) there might be options for him.

1 - Was his original Visa a 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa that allowed him to stay periods of 3 months OR is he here on a 1-year extension based on his original Non Imm O Visa?

2 - The Visa validity expiry date is hardly relevant once he was in Thailand, but what is the original permission to stay date of that Visa he is staying on?

3 - Is the Visa he is staying on issued for reason of retirement or for reason of marriage/dependant child or another reason?

4 - Is he married to a thai national or does he have a thai dependant child?

5 - In case his entry permission to stay expired during the Amnesty, did he already apply for a 60-day extension of stay (for reason of visiting his wife/dependant child)?

# Additional information of relevance

- What is his age / nationality?

- What is the IO he reports to?

1. Yes and he  have NNO earlier extensions on that VISA

2. Can not answer that, lets justsay that it has expired, definitaly...

3. It is retirement..

4. No nothing at all....

5. No no extensions at all nothing...

He is unmarried, above 50 years of age, living in Chaiyaphum province....

So his VIISA has expired and he is on amnesty, can he apply for an extension before 31st july??

glegolo

Sorry but from the additional info you provided, I have to conclude that unfortunately an application for a 1-year extension based on his Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement will NOT be accepted by his local immigration office.  If his permission to stay expired only a few days ago, his IO might be lenient and back-date his application for the 1-year extension but if it is already longer that the permission to stay expired, they won't do that anymore (but he could always ask of course).

But as it looks now he will be forced to leave Thailand before the end of the Amnesty (31 July if not extended).  And not sure whether a Fixer Agent would be able to fix this (but he could also try that option of the last resort).

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Sorry but from the additional info you provided, I have to conclude that unfortunately an application for a 1-year extension based on his Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement will NOT be accepted by his local immigration office.  If his permission to stay expired only a few days ago, his IO might be lenient and back-date his application for the 1-year extension but if it is already longer that the permission to stay expired, they won't do that anymore (but he could always ask of course).

But as it looks now he will be forced to leave Thailand before the end of the Amnesty (31 July if not extended).  And not sure whether a Fixer Agent would be able to fix this (but he could also try that option of the last resort).

Thank you for information, will inform my friend about his status.....

glegolo

Hi,

Have been thinking about the issue your friend is facing.

I understand that he is staying in Chaiyaphum on a Non Imm O Visa issued for reason of retirement, and that obviously the 90 days permission to stay from that Visa has expired already during the Amnesty.  Also that he has NOT applied for any extension of stay till now.

Being not married to a thai national or having thai dependant children, the only extension of stay that he could have applied for is the 1-year extension of stay (which would have required 2 months of seasoning of his funds on a thai bank-account before applying for the 1-year extension).

Most probably his IO will not accept his application for the 1-year extension of stay because he is already (long?) over the permission to stay due date of his Non Imm O retirement Visa.

And several IOs have stated that they will NOT accept an application for a 1-year extension of stay if you did 'choose' to make use of the Amnesty instead of applying for an extension of stay.

So what he should do now is:

1 - Go to his local Chaiyaphum IO and enquire about his options.

Maybe Chaiyaphum IO would be lenient and back-date his application for the 1-year extension of stay.  But they can only do that if he meets the financial requirements of 2 months seasoning of the required funds (800K or at least two monthly transfers of +65K with foreign origins proven).

2 - If his local IO will not accept his application for the 1-year permission (or he does not meet the financial requirements for such application), they might suggest him to contact his Embassy for a statement that he cannot go back to his home-country, and that could provide him with a 30-day extension of stay.  That would at least buy him some time.

3 - If his local IO will not accept his application for the 1-year permission, but he does meet the 2-month seasoning requirements of his funds, he could open a thread on the Forum to enquire whether there are IOs that will accept his application for a 1-year extension of stay even if he is now on the 'Amnesty' with an expired permission to stay.  Temporary relocating to a province where the IO does accept such applications would then be an option.

4 - If none of the above is successful, he would normally have to leave the country before the end of the Amnesty (31 July if not extended).  If he is not able to leave the country before the end of the Amnesty, he could apply in the final days of the Amnesty for the 1-year extension of stay (even if it was refused when he enquired for it - see [1]).  But with his application refused, and his permission to stay expired, IO will then normally provide him with 7 days (or shorter) to arrange his affairs and leave the country.  That 7 days (or shorter) is not an 'extension of stay' but a grace period, allowing him some extra time to prepare for his leaving the country.

Hope this helps, and he can always contact me directly if he has questions or wants to discuss his options.

Edited by Peter Denis

35 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Thank you so much Peter Denis, well-thought answer I will inform my friend, and take action from there.

Again many thanks

Glegolo

And in case everything fails and does not want to leave the country, there is the 'last resort' option of engaging a Fixer Agent to circumvent the requirements he cannot meet.

But not sure whether there are any such Agents in Chaiyaphum as they mostly cater for the larger expat/retiree locations, so that might require relocating first to Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang-Mai, Phuket or another large center with Agents providing this service.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

And in case everything fails and does not want to leave the country, there is the 'last resort' option of engaging a Fixer Agent to circumvent the requirements he cannot meet.

But not sure whether there are any such Agents in Chaiyaphum as they mostly cater for the larger expat/retiree locations, so that might require relocating first to Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang-Mai, Phuket or another large center with Agents providing this service.

That "service" is being offered through the personal/employees, who "know" somebody" probably over in Khon Kaen Office...

glegolo

Hello Members,

I really need help, I have been laid of in May 2020 and my visa and workpermit expired and cancelled by the employer. I don't want to go back to India until the Covid issue subside and the situation get backs to normal with Airline. I got a new job recently, but understood that within one week only it could be renewed. As it is not done the only way is to return to India and get a non-B which is almost impossible as all embassies are closed there. Back-door way some agents asked me 100K baht for each person to renew it. Due to this implications my prospective employer gave up the hope and decided to put my candidature down. Now I am jobless and amnesty is going to end on 31 July. And under-deep-mental-stress. Can I get a volunteer or some other visa to stay in Thailand. I really do't want to travel with repatriation flight and expose my family to Covid affected areas. In India also, the commute is not started to reach to my home town. Much appreciated for your help in this regard.

With Regards

On 7/10/2020 at 8:14 PM, glegolo said:

1. Yes and he  have NNO earlier extensions on that VISA

2. Can not answer that, lets justsay that it has expired, definitaly...

3. It is retirement..

4. No nothing at all....

5. No no extensions at all nothing...

He is unmarried, above 50 years of age, living in Chaiyaphum province....

So his VIISA has expired and he is on amnesty, can he apply for an extension before 31st july??

glegolo

Just out of curiosity. Why didn't he extend his permission to stay at the local immigration office before it expired? 

On 7/11/2020 at 10:59 AM, glegolo said:

That "service" is being offered through the personal/employees, who "know" somebody" probably over in Khon Kaen Office...

glegolo

If you know of this service , I would utilize it asap.

It would be money well spent if you think about the nightmare of current travel arrangements , plus the costs of isolation hotels.

He's got 19 days , act now !

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Just out of curiosity. Why didn't he extend his permission to stay at the local immigration office before it expired? 

because he is "slow" and he is 82 years of age.... I tried to decide time with him the 14-15th of may, but he did leave Caiyaphum and went into  quarantine elsewhere insttead..... "Some people"...

glegolo

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I dont know why the Ops friend didnt do it , but the sound of the word 'Amnesty' led a number of my friends to assume they had to do nothing till AFTER July 31. Then , thanks to reports on Thaivisa , it slowly dawned that  this was a "Selective Amnesty" ...

3 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

If you know of this service , I would utilize it asap.

It would be money well spent if you think about the nightmare of current travel arrangements , plus the costs of isolation hotels.

He's got 19 days , act now !

OK I will actually take you upon your words and try that  option... Thanks for encourage me

glegolo