BANGKOK

1 minute ago, projectorguy1 said:

Just one more thing - As I read the O-A information, it looks like I would have to leave the country and return just before the end of the first year - what in addition (if that is required) is needed to activete the second year?

The only thing you will need other than your passport is proof you have a year of insurance coverage.

You wife will have to apply for a new extension when your permit to stay changes since hers will be valid to the same date as yours.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The only thing you will need other than your passport is proof you have a year of insurance coverage.

You wife will have to apply for a new extension when your permit to stay changes since hers will be valid to the same date as yours.

When re-entering Thailand during the first year when your 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa has not expired yet, you will be stamped in for a new permission to stay for whatever period is shorter:

- the full year that the Non Imm O-A Visa entitles you to

OR

- till the expiry date of your health-insurance policy as mentioned on a note next to the Visa sticker in your passport (hence my recommendation to request your foreign insurer to mention a 2-year period on the FIC).

In case the health-insurance policy you subscribed to when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa is limited to one year, you can after having been in Thailand for a couple of months subscribe to a new cheap throw-away thai IO-approved health-insurance policy and the policy expiry date will then become your permission to stay date after having exited and returning during the Visa validity period.

Please note that when exiting Thailand and planning to return AFTER your 1-year Visa validity has expired, that you would need to buy a Re-Entry Permit before exiting in order to keep the granted permission to stay 'alive' on your return.

Edited by Peter Denis

I have another question concerning Retirement Visa: I want to rearrange my 800000 Baht account. So how are the latest deadlines? I have read something about 3 months after and 2 months before the new visa I cannot touch the account? So I would have to transfer the money to a new account in the period between these deadlines? How are the current deadlines?
Any valid information appreciated!  

11 minutes ago, Joe1593 said:

I have another question concerning Retirement Visa: I want to rearrange my 800000 Baht account. So how are the latest deadlines? I have read something about 3 months after and 2 months before the new visa I cannot touch the account? So I would have to transfer the money to a new account in the period between these deadlines? How are the current deadlines?
Any valid information appreciated!  

When you are already on a 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, and you use the money-in-bank method to meet the financial requirements, you need to:

- provide evidence that you kept the required funds in your personal thai bank account

- during the 12 months preceding the date of application for the new extension

- and that these funds did no go below the following tressholds:

• 800.000 THB during the first 3 months
  • 400.000 THB during the next 7 months
  • 800.00o THB during the last 2 months

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

So I would have to transfer the money to a new account in the period between these deadlines?

You could do the transfer to new account during the 400k baht period that is 3 months after the application to 2 months before.

Do the transfer and show both bank books when you apply for the next expansion prove it was transferred  and never went below 400k baht.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info! However, if this is the case, I will have a problem with putting the money to another bank because this would have to happen within one year before the new extension, and that would mean, I would need a bank statement from two banks next year? If the deadline is one year, how can I transfer the money to another account ever?

Ok, so transfer during the 7 month 400000 Baht period, show both bank books, but do I need two bank statements?

Or maybe after 3 months put 400 000 on the new bank book, wait some days and then put the rest to the new bank book. That way there is no period of time with less than 400000 on any bank book, (f.e. during the transfer.) 

I´ll probably need 2 bank statements then, I´m afraid. I´ll inquire during my next 90 days reporting.

1 hour ago, Joe1593 said:

Thanks for the info! However, if this is the case, I will have a problem with putting the money to another bank because this would have to happen within one year before the new extension, and that would mean, I would need a bank statement from two banks next year? If the deadline is one year, how can I transfer the money to another account ever?

Get a bank statement for the old account just before you move the money to the new account.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 5:48 AM, Peter Denis said:

When re-entering Thailand during the first year when your 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa has not expired yet, you will be stamped in for a new permission to stay for whatever period is shorter:

- the full year that the Non Imm O-A Visa entitles you to

OR

- till the expiry date of your health-insurance policy as mentioned on a note next to the Visa sticker in your passport (hence my recommendation to request your foreign insurer to mention a 2-year period on the FIC).

In case the health-insurance policy you subscribed to when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa is limited to one year, you can after having been in Thailand for a couple of months subscribe to a new cheap throw-away thai IO-approved health-insurance policy and the policy expiry date will then become your permission to stay date after having exited and returning during the Visa validity period.

Please note that when exiting Thailand and planning to return AFTER your 1-year Visa validity has expired, that you would need to buy a Re-Entry Permit before exiting in order to keep the granted permission to stay 'alive' on your return.

Thanks again for the advice - I was thinking that if I could not get the 2 year FIC form from my insurer (BCBS), I would buy a policy like the one linked in your attachment before leaving, commencing one year out, and lasting the full year two. Is that possible?

3 minutes ago, projectorguy1 said:

Thanks again for the advice - I was thinking that if I could not get the 2 year FIC form from my insurer (BCBS), I would buy a policy like the one linked in your attachment before leaving, commencing one year out, and lasting the full year two. Is that possible?

Yes, that would be possible. 

Your best option would of course be that your home-country insurer which provides international coverage when you are in Thailand, could be persuaded to fill in a 2-year period on the FIC (and that this is taken over by the thai Embassy on the insurance-note next to the O-A Visa sticker in your passport).  Even if your insurer (or the thai Embassy) is not willing to do that and only want to fill in a 1-year period, that would still be your best option.

If you are unable to get the foreign insurance FIC - for whatever reason - then your next best option would be to subscribe to one of the thai IO-approved health-insurance policies (the cheapest and easiest one being the LMG Insurance Plan 1 policy with 200K deductible).

LMG will not issue policies for more than 1 year, so that means that somewhere during that 1st year, let's say in the 3rd quarter - e.g. when planning to make a trip to a neighboring country in that period - that you request LMG to 'reschedule' your policy validity and pay the fee for doing so.  That will ensure that on your return from your trip abroad that the permission to stay is not capped to the 'old' LMG policy validity date, but that you have a Certificate with the rescheduled policy with you when re-entering Thailand again, which will allow you to be stamped in again for almost a full year permission to stay.  The same procedure needs to be followed when you plan to make the border-run in the final days of your Non Imm O-A validity.  Doing so, you will be able to make use of almost the full 2nd year the O-A Visa can provide you.

On 7/14/2020 at 12:16 PM, projectorguy1 said:

I think you and ubonjoe are 100% correct, and have REALLY provided some relief for me in this process! The O-A visa for me is definitely my best option...If we get there and plan to stay beyond 2 years, then obviously, the retirement visa should be easier to execute after being there for almost two years!

Did sent you a PM to address some 'loose ends'.

> To access your PM messages just click the letter-icon when logged-in to the Forum