3BB DNS Server Khon Kaen

lungbing

My internet just stopped working at about 7.45pm. 

My Kindle wouldn't connect but my mobile would. 

My mobile uses  a DNS changer so I changed the DNS on my PC and am up and working again.

Why do 3BB mess about at this time of night when their usually excellent engineers are all at home with their feet up.

Edited by lungbing
minor expletive removed

Yes I think 3bb dns servers have issues currently. I got several bookmarked websites, that they couldn't locate.

Best is tro change DNS servers in your router, or on your PC, to Google or Cloudflare

Hi My Samsung phone and Android devices at still working on 3bb but my main Windows computer (U use for tax, banking etc ) is working but no internet. I've reset my network card but it won't connect to the internet but seems to connect to my router and other access points. 

The message says internet connected sometimes ( and it's not, and other times the message says connection end won't let me connect.)

How do I check if it is a Khong Kean DNA fault? I am in K uchinari so I suspect I go thru Khong Kean.

Do you install Open DSN in the router?

I started my Windows machine with my VPN and all OK, but slow, so I will now install Open dns on it.

I was wondering why my Android device started not to connect, paused, then connected. Maybe it goes to the old DNA then gets a new link from there? Just started last week. 

Carlyai - if your Android device is your phone, it may have attempted to connect via wifi, then fell back to cellular.

Definitely install OpenDNS on your router (they have instructions on the OpenDNS site for most routers) on your PC - so when you are away and not connected to your home router, it will use OpenDNS.

Set it up on your other devices (phone, tablet, etc.) as well

Lots & lots of public DNS available....OpenDNS, Cloudflare, Google, your ISP's, etc....it's mostly a matter of preference....kinda like politics and religion.  

Personally,  I switched to using Cloudflare as my my primary DNS on my computers about a year ago...works just fine...super reliable.  Before that I had been using Google DNS or my ISP's DNS.   In my router/computers setting I use Google DNS as my secondary/alternate/backup DNS in those cases where the primary DNS may go down.  Prefer to avoid my ISP DNS whenever possible.

If googling you'll see Cloudflare is usually the fastest DNS excluding your ISP's DNS.  Like for Thailand when you do a ping of OpenDNS, Google DNS, and Cloudflare DNS you see that Cloudflare has the lowest ping time as it has DNS servers in Bangkok whereas Google DNS and OpenDNS nearest servers are in Singapore.

Ping tests from my Bangkok home

Cloudflare 1.1.1.1

Ping statistics for 1.1.1.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 11ms, Average = 10ms

Google DNS 8.8.8.8

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 28ms

OpenDNS 208.67.222.222

Ping statistics for 208.67.222.222:
    Minimum = 35ms, Maximum = 38ms, Average = 36ms

Whenever I suspect DNS resolver issues on my network I'll fire up GRC's DNSBench and let it evaluate the 100 local DNS Servers to see how they're running. If the router's preferred DNS settings is currently out-to-lunch I'll reconfigure with the quickest 3 companies, which for me is usually TOT, BBB, and whatever is the most reliable as the third.

image.png.c4340730b55b09aa08d8c38ba8f62686.png

BTW, I always recommend users change the password on their router as miscreants and hackers have been known to edit the DNS settings from the WAN side to change the DNS resolvers to rogue DNS IP addresses so they can redirect traffic and inject code via Man-in-the-Middle attacks. You really want to verify the DNS your devices are being issued are either the ones listed in your ISP support page or the ones you've manually chosen to use.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, i84teen said:

Avoid using Cloudflare and others like google.

Cloudflare make their money by collecting and selling personal information.

Try Quad9, they are secure and fast from Thailand and don't sell your data.

Have a look here:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cloud9-dns.56918/

Quad9 is indeed the smart choice.  They are reliable and block known malware sites.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 5:50 PM, i84teen said:

Avoid using Cloudflare and others like google.

Cloudflare make their money by collecting and selling personal information.

Try Quad9, they are secure and fast from Thailand and don't sell your data.

Have a look here:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cloud9-dns.56918/

Not sure if you quoted above about Cloudflare sellling persoanl info from that long snbforms thread. 

But below  is what the Cloudflare website says to include a privacy audit.

https://www.cloudflare.com/privacypolicy/#:~:text=CLOUDFLARE'S%20PROMISE&text=We%20keep%20your%20personal%20information,your%20personal%20information%20to%20anyone.

CLOUDFLARE’S PROMISE

Our mission to help build a better Internet is rooted in the importance we place on establishing trust with our Customers, users, and the Internet community globally. To earn and maintain that trust, we commit to communicating transparently, providing security, and protecting the privacy of data on our systems.

We keep your personal information personal and private. We will not sell or rent your personal information to anyone.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/announcing-the-results-of-the-1-1-1-1-public-dns-resolver-privacy-examination/

Our 1.1.1.1 public DNS resolver commitments

We have refined our commitments to 1.1.1.1 resolver privacy as part of our examination effort. The nature and intent of our commitments remain consistent with our original commitments. These updated commitments are what was included in the examination:

1. Cloudflare will not sell or share public resolver users’ personal data with third parties or use personal data from the public resolver to target any user with advertisements.

On 7/11/2020 at 1:41 PM, RichCor said:

Whenever I suspect DNS resolver issues on my network I'll fire up GRC's DNSBench and let it evaluate the 100 local DNS Servers to see how they're running. If the router's preferred DNS settings is currently out-to-lunch I'll reconfigure with the quickest 3 companies, which for me is usually TOT, BBB, and whatever is the most reliable as the third.

image.png.c4340730b55b09aa08d8c38ba8f62686.png

BTW, I always recommend users change the password on their router as miscreants and hackers have been known to edit the DNS settings from the WAN side to change the DNS resolvers to rogue DNS IP addresses so they can redirect traffic and inject code via Man-in-the-Middle attacks. You really want to verify the DNS your devices are being issued are either the ones listed in your ISP support page or the ones you've manually chosen to use.

Been a while since I used DNSBench....I think the last time was around 5 years ago when I got a brief urge to compare DNS response times.  Downloaded DNSBench again today...played with it for a few hours....it brought back memories....ran some benchmarks again.

But when the dust settled in terms of "response time/how fast your DNS server is" all of them were much faster than a "blink of an eye" which should be fast enough for anyone.  A brink of eye takes around 100ms to 400ms depending on the person.  And when running DNSBench to check the big, popular DNS services like Cloudflare, Google, OpenDNS, Qual9, etc. they all had response times in the 10ms to 30ms ballpark....Cloudflare around 10ms since they have a server in Bangkok and the Googel/OpenDNS/Qual9 around 30ms since their closest servers are Singapore.   And all reporting 100% reliability.  

So, if you are a person whose blink-of-the-eye takes 100ms (they say most people it's around 300ms) then the DNS services mentioned above are all 3 to 10 times faster than a blink of the eye.  From a speed viewpoint are "more than fast enough."   If discounting speed (since all are fast) which DNS server a person wants to use comes down to other tangibles & intangibles, reliability, features, privacy, etc.

• Like 1