Arrived in BKK on July 8, 2020 with COE

To clarify a couple of points. You had to do 2 Covid tests at different times and it appears from the price differential,2 different types -one with the initial application and the more expensive RT-PCR test just prior to leaving? 
I,m not clear if the flight you took was simply a confirmation of the unpaid for reservation you made yourself or one offered to you via the embassy? Most airlines ,say from UK are either booked and paid for (confirmed)flights  or nothing. I ask because I have a confirmed return BA flight on September 7th from uk based on a February outbound flight which I’d obviously like to use...if it even goes/not cancelled! 
Thanks for the clarity of your post and as you say ,although involved,it was a relative smooth process. Others are reporting more difficulties from other countries. Maybe China is a more favourable embarkation in many respects,especially the testing regime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

Well it was certainly a very involved process even though it went to plan. Other applications from different countries will be more difficult,especially in relation to getting tests on demand,and whose embassies will not be so efficient Or cooperative . For many I can envisage a single glitch expensively sabotaging the process.

Agreed.

This successful case quite similar with another HK citizen case (with Thai family here) who arrived at BKK alone few days ago. Listened the interview in YouTube.

Beside the application requirements, $$ and local medical support, it might greatly depends on local embassy helpfulness and the numbers of citizen who waiting for the available repatriate flights. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

Meanwhile, European people, with far more dire covid 19 situations, are moving freely within most of the EU...without disastrous consequences...

Often, yes, though some end up dying, or suffering permanent organ/brain damage.

I personally think a virus elimination strategy has merit in the medium to long term. Normal economic activity is not going to return while people are frightened for the health of their parents and children.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

The only thing that keeps the virus at bay, very efficiently, is the mandatory quarantine.

This. A Covid-19 test whenever someone develops symptom and, failing that, towards the end of the quarantine period is also probably prudent. Certainly, though, the 14-day quarantine is known to be the most important measure. The challenge here is that providing secure, safe quarantine facilities is nowhere near as easy as people imagine. Even New Zealand (which has handled the pandemic as well as any country) has struggled to provide enough quarantine places and keep them secure and safe. That is to manage hundreds of daily arrivals. If Thailand wants to allow thousands of people to enter Thailand daily, it will be a huge organisational challenge.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BritTim said:

This. A Covid-19 test whenever someone develops symptom and, failing that, towards the end of the quarantine period is also probably prudent. Certainly, though, the 14-day quarantine is known to be the most important measure. The challenge here is that providing secure, safe quarantine facilities is nowhere near as easy as people imagine. Even New Zealand (which has handled the pandemic as well as any country) has struggled to provide enough quarantine places and keep them secure and safe. That is to manage hundreds of daily arrivals. If Thailand wants to allow thousands of people to enter Thailand daily, it will be a huge organisational challenge.

It worked how Germany did it, repatriating 200,000 Germans in 2 months.

Home quarantine.

At the same time the numbers went down to acceptable levels.

But it requires a lot of testing, good organization and disciplined people.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Berti said:

It worked how Germany did it, repatriating 200,000 Germans in 2 months.

Home quarantine.

At the same time the numbers went down to acceptable levels.

But it requires a lot of testing, good organization and disciplined people.

Home quarantine is sufficient when you are only trying to flatten the curve. It will not work for virus elimination, even with good testing and contact tracing. Unfortunately, there will be enough people who break the rules to seed constant outbreaks. The simple truth is that those most likely to break the rules are also those most likely to be infected. Germany is in a tough situation. I agree they have handled things well given the constraints they are under. It is very difficult to restrict travel within the EU, at least for any extended period, and all major EU countries are at the mercy of the countries that are most incompetent at managing the crisis.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Calvin1976 said:

Agreed.

This successful case quite similar with another HK citizen case (with Thai family here) who arrived at BKK alone few days ago. Listened the interview in YouTube.

Beside the application requirements, $$ and local medical support, it might greatly depends on local embassy helpfulness and the numbers of citizen who waiting for the available repatriate flights. 

very valid point.

Even with all the docs and $$, if there are not sufficient critical mass of Thai's wanting to evacuate, i am afraid our effort will be in vain.

8 minutes ago, uffe123 said:

I'am confused. I have booking to retun to bangkok on the 2nd of August. NKptai stated that the quarantine was free. I ad been told by the thai embassy I had to pay for it. can anyone shed light on this?

The quarantine facilities are free for Thai nationals but must be paid by foreigners.

Thai nationals can upgrade to the self-paid option if desired.

Is your booking on a repatriation flight?

If not then it will probably be cancelled - only the repatriation flights are allowed to fly in the passengers for now.

Edited by unheard
  • Like 1