Arrived in BKK on July 8, 2020 with COE

50 minutes ago, uhuh said:

Taiwan handled about 200000 quarantines of incoming persons, just as Germany did (as Berti mentioned).

The virus has been eliminated in Taiwan,  not just flattened the curve (contrary to what Tim writes in another post).

Everyone who stayed in home quarantine in Taiwan got 1000 TWD per day from the government,  that's about 1000 baht - even foreigners got it (can you smell a difference to Thai's attitude?). Fine for breaking quarantine up to 1000,000 TWD - and your neighbors would watch. 

It's doable. 

Two points about Taiwan:

1. The majority of those returning from abroad were coming from very low risk countries: notably Mainland China. I am sure there were some who breached the terms of the quarantine, but (with very few infected) luckily no outbreaks resulted.
  2. Chinese tend to be more law abiding (in terms of things like this) than others (except Japanese).

That said, you are correct that Taiwan had well supervised home quarantine (such as cell phone monitoring to detect if people left their homes) and logistical and psychological support for those confined to their homes. I am glad it worked, but doubt it would be successful in Thailand with returning Thais and less disciplined Westerners.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Meanwhile, European people, with far more dire covid 19 situations, are moving freely within most of the EU...without disastrous consequences...

Of course the "far more dire covid 19 situations" would have nothing to do with a lack of travel control.

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

This. A Covid-19 test whenever someone develops symptom and, failing that, towards the end of the quarantine period is also probably prudent. Certainly, though, the 14-day quarantine is known to be the most important measure. The challenge here is that providing secure, safe quarantine facilities is nowhere near as easy as people imagine. Even New Zealand (which has handled the pandemic as well as any country) has struggled to provide enough quarantine places and keep them secure and safe. That is to manage hundreds of daily arrivals. If Thailand wants to allow thousands of people to enter Thailand daily, it will be a huge organisational challenge.

According to another poster, during quarantine in Thailand there are 2 tests, on day 4 and day 8.

You are quite right, the more that go into quarantine, the greater the risk of the virus getting out. Best strategy is to keep the number of arrivals low.

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

Two points about Taiwan:

1. The majority of those returning from abroad were coming from very low risk countries: notably Mainland China. I am sure there were some who breached the terms of the quarantine, but (with very few infected) luckily no outbreaks resulted.
  2. Chinese tend to be more law abiding (in terms of things like this) than others (except Japanese).

That said, you are correct that Taiwan had well supervised home quarantine (such as cell phone monitoring to detect if people left their homes) and logistical and psychological support for those confined to their homes. I am glad it worked, but doubt it would be successful in Thailand with returning Thais and less disciplined Westerners.

Might not be 100% truth on this. 

There were TW citizens' wife and children (not TW citizens) stranded in Mainland China since January still not allow to board the repatriate flights back to TW. Because of the Gov political direction - Anti Mainland China. 

Many fathers, husbands, grandparents who had peaceful protest (some even on their kneed) to appeal for their families members being allow to go back TW. Saw this on YouTube last month. 

Freedom? Human rights? 

Political override everything... 

19 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

My sincere congratulations to NKPTAI for staying the course and juggling all those balls without dropping a single one. Respect, sir! 

seconding that !!

• Like 2

On 7/10/2020 at 4:08 PM, HashBrownHarry said:

Excellent info.

Not all doom and gloom as everyone says if you have a bit of patience.

Can only thank Op for taking the time and effort to post for the benefit of others who would like a proof of concept...

A question on the health insurance for anyone ..... what types are considered? Covid only insurance, travel insurance and full health insurance? Haven't seen anything definitive about this. Also, for how long? one month, 3 months, whole year?

If you are pushing 70, the cost of the insurance is a major factor. Fortunately, i am already in Thailand, but not sure if i can afford to leave and then return!

27 minutes ago, lenyronjohan said:

Could you mention the name of the 100.000 dollar covid covering  insurance please?

My local Thai Embassy requested the following

A copy of valid health insurance covering all expenditures of medical treatment, including COVID-19 with the minimum coverage of 100,000 USD. 

Many insurance companies are now offering COVID cover

I’m waiting on my COVID policy coming through from this company

3 months cover, 14,500 THB

http://www.aoc-insurancebroker.com/

other companies are available

FYI

I have another policy for my main health insurance, so this is an additional cover

Edited by bolt
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

Two points about Taiwan:

@1 completely wrong,  they didn't come from the PRC. Lots from UK and US, scared like hell. Now from Mexico...

@2 you don't know many Chinese,  do you?  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

Germany is in a tough situation.

Why? Not many countries did so well. And I include Thailand doing worse.

You have to get the right mix of bringing the curve down and let the economy going.

Germany will be much better than Thailand when we see the real economic numbers for 2020. What we see now are only forecasts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lenyronjohan said:

14.500 for a 3 months travel insurance aoc-insurance broker is rather expensive.

Any cheaper ones available?

with respect, please find your own broker

i mentioned the one i'm using

thanks 

Wow, impressive that the OP got through all that. For me the anxiety that there would be a misconnect somewhere or someone dropping the ball and stopping the chain of paperwork perhaps even refusing to cooperate for whatever reason, arbitrarily not approving some stage of the paperwork etc. would be a lot to bear. The hassle of it would not be so much from doing the formidable mountain of paperwork, but the worry how there are so many steps that almost certainly something would go wrong at some stage. It wouldn't surprise me if that starts to happen as the various people processing the paperwork begin to feel overburdened and/or bored of the whole thing. Hope I never have to go through it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rvaviator said:

What I find hard to understand is why a 'birth certificate' is needed ...  What is wrong with a passport ??  Is that not proof enough that you are born ? 

Why does it matter what your mother name is and if available .... what your fathers name is ?

Reminds me a bit about France actually ... They loved all sorts of strange paperwork ......

I doubt if any country has as much paperwork as the Thais, the same goes for wearing uniforms and making noise.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, rvaviator said:

Reminds me a bit about France actually ... They loved all sorts of strange paperwork ......

have to agree with you.... and I thought they changed their paperwork mentality, it appears it still the same mess as I just filed for retirement and it's unbelievable what they ask, my military docs ??? who the heck came up with that

On 7/11/2020 at 4:10 PM, Brunolem said:

What is unbelievable is to find normal this kind of obstacle course to enter a country.

It was easier to visit the Soviet Union during the cold war, and yet the would be visitors were rightly bitching about the paperwork.

And the worst is that there is no end in sight for this madness.

Meanwhile, European people, with far more dire covid 19 situations, are moving freely within most of the EU...without disastrous consequences...

Easy solution, go there.

I have an insurance company that has full, unlimited COVID coverage - unfortunately they have no certificate for that. And cannot produce such. So I need to get an extra covid insurance for throwaway purposes ???? Any suggestions of insurance companies issuing such certificates are welcome. Or perhaps worth a new thread.

6 hours ago, bolt said:

My local Thai Embassy requested the following

A copy of valid health insurance covering all expenditures of medical treatment, including COVID-19 with the minimum coverage of 100,000 USD. 

Many insurance companies are now offering COVID cover

I’m waiting on my COVID policy coming through from this company

3 months cover, 14,500 THB

http://www.aoc-insurancebroker.com/

other companies are available

FYI

I have another policy for my main health insurance, so this is an additional cover

I’m presuming this policy was TRAVEL insurance ,the price of which depends on the length of cover. Was there a specific reason you opted for 3 months cover given its effectively just to 'get you through the door' ? I’m wondering if that was stipulated by the embassy or it coinciding with the expiry of your existing visa? Ostensibly it could just be for  The 14 days until the quarantine was over,although that could raise eyebrows...

OK so what happens if your not able to arrange this COE at your nearest embassy or consulate in person. What happens if your an American in Afghanistan locked down on a military base because travel in Afghanistan is still restricted. What do I do, I travel through dubai. Whats the time frame for receiving this COE because my time of travel is limited!

1 hour ago, ExpatOne said:

Easy solution, go there.

Really, is that how you answer a question, you dont feel people's pain for trying to re enter thailand if their being stopped from seeing their families. If your afraid shelter in place, pay someone to bring you supplies for the rest of your life so you dont have to be exposed to the dreaded CV!