Ghislaine Maxwell seeks bail, citing coronavirus, and denies Jeffrey Epstein charges

rooster59

Ghislaine Maxwell seeks bail, citing coronavirus, and denies Jeffrey Epstein charges

By Jonathan Stempel

2020-07-10T170231Z_1_LYNXMPEG691HF_RTROPTP_4_PEOPLE-GHISLAINE-MAXWELL.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Audrey Strauss, Acting United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York speaks alongside William F. Sweeney Jr., Assistant Director-in-Charge of the New York Office, at a news conference announcing charges against Ghislaine Maxwell for her role in the sexual exploitation and abuse of minor girls by Jeffrey Epstein in New York City, New York, U.S., July 2, 2020. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson/File Photo

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Ghislaine Maxwell, the longtime associate of late financier Jeffrey Epstein, on Friday forcefully denied charges she lured underage girls for him to sexually abuse and said she deserves bail, citing the risk she might contract the coronavirus in jail.

Maxwell, 58, filed her request in the U.S. District Court in Manhattan, eight days after being arrested in New Hampshire, where authorities said she had been hiding at a sprawling property she bought while shielding her identity.

A spokesman for Acting U.S. Attorney Audrey Strauss in Manhattan declined to comment.

Maxwell has been housed since Monday at the Metropolitan Detention Center, a Brooklyn jail.

She said her detention there put her at "significant risk" of contracting the coronavirus, after 55 inmates and staff had tested positive for COVID-19 through June 30.

Maxwell faces six criminal charges, including four related to transporting minors for illegal sexual acts, and two for perjury in depositions about her role in Epstein's abuses.

In Friday's filing, Maxwell said she "vigorously denies the charges" and intends to fight them.

Her arraignment is on July 14, and prosecutors want her detained until trial. Maxwell is the daughter of the late British publishing magnate Robert Maxwell.

Epstein was found hanged last Aug. 10 in jail at age 66, in a death ruled a suicide.

He had before his arrest socialized over the years with many prominent people including Britain's Prince Andrew, U.S. President Donald Trump and former President Bill Clinton.

MEDIA CRUSH

Maxwell's proposed bail package includes a $5 million bond, the surrender of her passports, "stringent" travel restrictions, and home detention with electronic monitoring.

She said she will continue needing security guards to ensure her safety.

Maxwell also maintained she is not a flight risk, claiming to have remained in the United States since Epstein's arrest.

She "did not flee, but rather left the public eye, for the entirely understandable purpose of protecting herself and those close to her from the crush of media and online attention and its very real harms," the filing said.

Friday's filing also raised several legal challenges to the indictment, including that Epstein's 2007 nonprosecution agreement with the U.S. government covered "any potential co-conspirators."

In seeking Maxwell's continued detention, prosecutors called her an "extreme risk" of flight because of the possible long prison term, her wealth, her multiple passports and citizenships, and her having "absolutely no reason to stay."

The case is U.S. v. Maxwell, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, No. 20-cr-00330.

(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; Editing by Dan Grebler, Noeleen Walder and Matthew Lewis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-11

• Haha 1

This is one of the most bizarre cases I've ever come across.

I'm not the type of person who believes in some wide spread and long running conspiracy of 'sexual misconduct' but who knows what the <deleted> these people have been doing.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see how this all turns out...

Why would the 'rich and powerful' or anyone else for that matter indulge in illegal activity in some organised manner? Surely they could 'bang' no end of legally aged women if that's what they're into, the whole thing as far as I've seen so far doesn't make any sense to me at all....

• Like 1

In the U S even those caught Red Handed with multiple witnesses plead Not Guilty.  I would support her fear of contracting Covid 19 while incarcerated.  Bail could be granted with restrictions.  Such as: Remaining in an approved Hotel or other habitation,  Electronic ankle bracelet,  at least two correction officers or police in residence, no internet or phone access,.  Everything paid for by herself.  Access to no one but her Attorney and Prosecutor outside of the resident security staff.

• Like 1

If only there was a mouse like man to stand surety... no sweat he is in pizza hut figuring out how to make things go away and is now in a hazy memory state planning what to do when Gizzer hands over the video stash ???? 

• Confused 1

Well, that 'industry' has been going for a long time and no doubt will continue, one goes down others take its place. Nothing deters these sadistic mentally deranged child predators. Those caught and found guilty should be imprisoned for life but that doesn't happen either.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 5:51 AM, rooster59 said:

This whole thing is certainly a sordid mess...but it has produced some priceless royal humor. A clip from the train wreck BBC interview when Prince Andrew was asked about the photo of him with his arm around Virginia Roberts…

Emily Maitlis, interviewer: I'm just trying to understand, there's a photo inside Ghislaine Maxwell's house, Ghislaine herself in the background, why would people not believe that you were there with her that night?

Prince Andrew: They might well wish to believe it but the photograph is taken upstairs and I don't think I ever went upstairs in Ghislaine's house.

Truly a classic response. The man has a bright future in....uh...well...something.

Edited by Hayduke
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

In my view, a person who walks up to another person, punches them in the face and steals their bag of groceries, is guilty of a far more serious crime than Maxwell. In a country where it may be acceptable to be a grandmother at 28 surely this witch hunt reeks of hypocrisy ????

Welcome to your world 

7 hours ago, Hayduke said:

This whole thing is certainly a sordid mess...but it has produced some priceless royal humor. A clip from the train wreck BBC interview when Prince Andrew was asked about the photo of him with his arm around Virginia Roberts…

Emily Maitlis, interviewer: I'm just trying to understand, there's a photo inside Ghislaine Maxwell's house, Ghislaine herself in the background, why would people not believe that you were there with her that night?

Prince Andrew: They might well wish to believe it but the photograph is taken upstairs and I don't think I ever went upstairs in Ghislaine's house.

Truly a classic response. The man has a bright future in....uh...well...something.

downloadfile.jpg

On 7/11/2020 at 12:58 AM, ukrules said:

This is one of the most bizarre cases I've ever come across.

I'm not the type of person who believes in some wide spread and long running conspiracy of 'sexual misconduct' but who knows what the <deleted> these people have been doing.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see how this all turns out...

Why would the 'rich and powerful' or anyone else for that matter indulge in illegal activity in some organised manner? Surely they could 'bang' no end of legally aged women if that's what they're into, the whole thing as far as I've seen so far doesn't make any sense to me at all....

jeopardy, that's why.

On 7/11/2020 at 9:41 PM, Baerboxer said:

Nor does the presumption of innocent until proven guilty it seems.

Not when there's enough evidence just from what is public to more or less paint her guilty. We know that Epstein had passports, and backup plans ready to flee at a moments notice. Why would you assume she doesn't have the same?  

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

trump on alleged sex trafficker ms. maxwell: I wish her well

Guy is seriously unhinged when choosing his words. On Sundays Fox New interview on a different subject he refers back to the 'beautiful second world war'.

41 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

trump on political opponent: lock her up

trump on alleged sex trafficker ms. maxwell: I wish her well

This does sound like the way he commented on Flynn, Stone, and Manafort. Parties who could have incriminating information about him. Does make one wonder.

Ex-Trump aide Scaramucci says president’s ‘well wishes’ to Ghislaine Maxwell are coded message: ‘Please don’t talk’

Former White House communications chief Anthony Scaramucci has accused Donald Trump of covertly imploring the arrested socialite Ghislaine Maxwell not to reveal what she knows about him.

In a tweet on Wednesday, Mr Scaramucci wrote: “She has the goods on him. He is signaling ‘please don’t talk.’”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/trump-ghislaine-maxwell-anthony-scaramucci-jeffrey-epstein-sex-abuse-a9632476.html