Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Which neighboring countries are open?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am in the same situation: Free visa till end of July. So, I asked a simple Thai visa run agency and theyll go for a visa run morning to Poi Pet/Cambodia and will stamp out the passport and few minut

I'm pretty sure that the whole point of having to leave the country is that you do it and not just your passport. No matter how pointless and time-wasting it is. And not leaving the country as require

Because I have lived in Asia for the past 7 years, I have no family nor home to return to.

23 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Are they putting the passport in a drone and flying it over and back?

Yes indeed, it is quite a long walk between the casinos from Thai to Cambodia Immigration offices. The service quoted by the visa agency in Pattaya sounds dubious as OFFICIALLY both Immigration Offices are not issuing visas, however with unscrupulous Thai and Khmer "fixers" along with corrupt Immigration officials - who knows?? Please be careful! There is a Thai Tourist Police Office alongside the entrance to the large secure car park on your right as you approach Thai Immigration in Aranyaphratet should you get any problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm pretty sure that the whole point of having to leave the country is that you do it and not just your passport. No matter how pointless and time-wasting it is. And not leaving the country as required by law, if discovered, could result in arrest and a lifetime ban. The visa-run companies would not, of course, tell you this. Those wiser than me in these matters might care to comment and advise.

Last time i went to the Kanchanaburi border, to do a bounce. The van was full going to the myanmar side. So the man in the van, just took mybpassport for me while i waited on the thai side.

So it is possible.

But the borders are closed, so i cant see it happening yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm pretty sure that the whole point of having to leave the country is that you do it and not just your passport. No matter how pointless and time-wasting it is. And not leaving the country as required by law, if discovered, could result in arrest and a lifetime ban. The visa-run companies would not, of course, tell you this. Those wiser than me in these matters might care to comment and advise.

@ubonjoe > What is your take on this 'passport border-run' to get a fresh border-immigration permission to stay stamp, without ever leaving the country and just paying the agent fee?

The Poipet - Cambodia and Kanchanaburi - Myanmar borders are mentioned in this thread as places where this could be done.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

 

I believe another poster here claimed firsthand experience that a similar thing is going on with the Kanchanaburi/Myanmar border... You go to the Thai side, then hand your passport over to an agent, they take it over to the Myanmar side, have it stamped there, and then returned back to you on the Thai side....  This despite the general public perception that borders are closed.

Its probably like that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2020 at 3:28 PM, young Farrang said:

Because I have lived in Asia for the past 7 years, I have no family nor home to return to.

I think what others are saying that you don't have to live there for years, it's only for a few months until the situation around the world improves.

 

Surely, you can stay in a friend or rent a cheap place somewhere in your home country.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2020 at 4:46 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

 

I believe another poster here claimed firsthand experience that a similar thing is going on with the Kanchanaburi/Myanmar border... You go to the Thai side, then hand your passport over to an agent, they take it over to the Myanmar side, have it stamped there, and then returned back to you on the Thai side....  This despite the general public perception that borders are closed.

 

So does that mean we don't have to undergo 14 day quarantine if we do this way?

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

That is correct - NO TOURIST VISAS for Cambodia. Most borders closed except for business/trade, repatriation and special medical cases. The land border with Vietnam is now open but as no tourist visas being issued the cross border travelers are mainly local nationals - a kind of domestic tourism. There a no direct flights between Thailand and Cambodia at this time.

What about those countries who don't need any tourist visas to enter Vietnam or Cambodia? Are they allowed in?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

It looks like travelers from Thailand can go to Italy now. I have family there.

 

1. Passengers are not allowed to enter until 14 July 2020.
- This does not apply to:
- passengers arriving from Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland or United Kingdom;
- nationals or residents of Italy;
- passengers traveling on business;
- passengers returning via Italy to their country of residence;
- passengers arriving from Algeria, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, Serbia, Thailand, Tunisia or Uruguay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2020 at 2:46 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

 

I believe another poster here claimed firsthand experience that a similar thing is going on with the Kanchanaburi/Myanmar border... You go to the Thai side, then hand your passport over to an agent, they take it over to the Myanmar side, have it stamped there, and then returned back to you on the Thai side....  This despite the general public perception that borders are closed.

 

I think somebody might have posted about it who had experience by now.

 

Having said that , on my last visa run back in March to Kanchanaburi , that is exactly what happened. The mini bus was full so the driver just got the excess passengers to wait on the Thai side while he took their passports over for the stamping.

 

In reality , this is not legal so awkward questions could be asked some time in the future.

 

 

 

Edited by Denim
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Denim said:

 

I think somebody might have posted about it who had experience by now.

 

Having said that , on my last visa run back in March to Kanchanaburi , that is exactly what happened. The mini bus was full so the driver just got the excess passengers to wait on the Thai side while he took their passports over for the stamping.

 

In reality , this is not legal so awkward questions could be asked some time in the future.

 

Except, in the situation the other poster described and in yours as well, I'm presuming, the stamps out on the Thai side, the stamp in on the Myanmar side and the stamp back in on the Thai side are all legitimate ones done by the Immigration authorities there. It's not like some visa agent is counterfeiting the stamps as falsies.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EricTh said:

 

So does that mean we don't have to undergo 14 day quarantine if we do this way?

 

Good question. I don't believe the other poster who wrote about this made any mention of quarantine upon return.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

 

Except, in the situation the other poster described and in yours as well, I'm presuming, the stamps out on the Thai side, the stamp in on the Myanmar side and the stamp back in on the Thai side are all legitimate ones done by the Immigration authorities there. It's not like some visa agent is counterfeiting the stamps as falsies.

 

 

Quite true but I was thinking that maybe sometime in the future exiting Thailand through an airport they might ask how I managed to do a border hop when the border was closed. If you told the truth their reaction could go either way. Besides, both my own experience and the other posters are not recent so who knows ( without trying ) what the current situation is. OK to take a look see if you live near but for me a 6 hour drive one way seems not worth the trouble.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since various folks have been asking about the Kanchanaburi border issue, I went back and found the recent thread and posts where that issue had surfaced lately, and where the other poster, DrBeach, responded to my question confirming the issue.

 

The topic begins with this post below, and then continues with a couple followups. I don't have any personal experience with this particular issue. I was just relating what the other member had reported on the subject of open/closed borders.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2020 at 7:37 AM, young Farrang said:

most likely end of amnesty. 

 

I read somewhere you need to deposit $3000 in a cambodian bank account in order to enter, is there some more information regarding this requirement?

Yes it's still in effect. But even getting to Cambodia will be challenging. You'd have to transit via Seoul!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

 

Except, in the situation the other poster described and in yours as well, I'm presuming, the stamps out on the Thai side, the stamp in on the Myanmar side and the stamp back in on the Thai side are all legitimate ones done by the Immigration authorities there. It's not like some visa agent is counterfeiting the stamps as falsies.

 

 

Do Thai citizens need to go for 14 days quarantine ? Why would the agent risk this to go out and come in again?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

 

Do Thai citizens need to go for 14 days quarantine ? Why would the agent risk this to go out and come in again?

 

@drbeach  should chime in on that topic, since it's his report. AFAIK, there hasn't been any mention of quarantines in the transactions he's been talking about.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, drbeach said:

Yes thanks for quoting my post. Nothing has been announced so far, but it's possible that the Phu Nam Ron border could open for border runs before general travel is permitted.

How do you assume this? any proof or just what you think?

 

Unconfirmed rumours do not help anybody

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

 

Except, in the situation the other poster described and in yours as well, I'm presuming, the stamps out on the Thai side, the stamp in on the Myanmar side and the stamp back in on the Thai side are all legitimate ones done by the Immigration authorities there. It's not like some visa agent is counterfeiting the stamps as falsies.

 

Like the old days you could just give your passport to the mini-van driver. You stayed in Pattaya and in the afternoon he did bring you back a stamped out-in passport.

Edited by spiekerjozef
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, EricTh said:

What about those countries who don't need any tourist visas to enter Vietnam or Cambodia? Are they allowed in?

 

 

For reference, but please remember to enter Cambodia by air at the moment one has to observe strict public health, insurance, quarantine and financial regulations. Land borders are basically closed - only open for trade (cargo trucks etc.), repatriation and special medical cases.

 

Holders of normal passports of the following nine countries do not require a visa for Cambodia for up to 30 days (unless otherwise noted):[1]

 
Link to post
Share on other sites

For what its worth a friend is seriously considering Turkey , a very pleasant , warm and not too costly trip or cost of living.Of course visas  and muslim culture is not for all and Kurdish areas and Syrian border a nono. You can also get from Turkey to N Cyprus which although technically in teh EU is de facto a Turkish colony.

As Turkish tourism from cooler N Europe decimated , may well be great deals at resorts and Air BnB. If have to leave I would prefer Barbados but that's longer and dearer.

Flights are about double usual rates c20k

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

For what its worth a friend is seriously considering Turkey , a very pleasant , warm and not too costly trip or cost of living.Of course visas  and muslim culture is not for all and Kurdish areas and Syrian border a nono. You can also get from Turkey to N Cyprus which although technically in teh EU is de facto a Turkish colony.

As Turkish tourism from cooler N Europe decimated , may well be great deals at resorts and Air BnB. If have to leave I would prefer Barbados but that's longer and dearer.

Flights are about double usual rates c20k

Turkey eh?  Hmmmm Do tell......Open for all?  Even us poor yanks deep in the thick....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Turkey eh?  Hmmmm Do tell......Open for all?  Even us poor yanks deep in the thick....

Just need some cranberry sauce, stuffing and mashed potatoes with Gravy to with the Turkey

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

For what its worth a friend is seriously considering Turkey , a very pleasant , warm and not too costly trip or cost of living.Of course visas  and muslim culture is not for all and Kurdish areas and Syrian border a nono. You can also get from Turkey to N Cyprus which although technically in teh EU is de facto a Turkish colony.

As Turkish tourism from cooler N Europe decimated , may well be great deals at resorts and Air BnB. If have to leave I would prefer Barbados but that's longer and dearer.

Flights are about double usual rates c20k

Izmir looks quite nice 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2020 at 6:18 PM, JeffersLos said:

There'll probably be an extension to the amnesty. 

It's not looking good. Indonesia just announced all foreigners need to be out by August 9th. ASEAN countries tend to go with similar policies. 

  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Izmir looks quite nice 

Izmir aka Smyrna was once a classy resort, very pleasant, Also the Princes Islands, Bodrum all the way to Anatolia (I'd avoid the coast beyond their towards Kurdisatn and Syrian issues, , mostly good weather year round   and with booking s down on Aegean or ed

 

On the whole whole Kara Deniz/ Black sea coast is less well known or developed I like Dylvak Samsun and Trabazon near borders with Nankichevan , Iran and Georgia these high Mountains around Mount Ararat are lovely now but lots of snow and wolves in the winter , also the odd bear which are generally less "clingy" than Thai ladies.

 

I am lucky as I speak some German which for historical reasons many returnees in even remotest villages know.

Of course in tourist resorts English French Arabic or Russian signs are common and you can of course read Turkish script.

My only concern wold be slow net and of course if there was an autumn peak pandemic being stuck again in a country that requires visas.

 

While unpalatebale the only nation you can be sure to visa free is the one that issues your passports.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...