Can get a marriage visa without leaving the country?

I entered Thailand on visa exempt, extended 30 days for tourism, 30 days for covid and then went on amnesty.

I'm married to a thai national, can I get a non-o visa or any extension based on that?

I think the 1 year extension require a non-o visa and 400k deposited for 2 months, what about the 2 months visit family extension? Can I get that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OffshoreMig said:

If you are not married but a parent to a Thai National what visa options are open to you?

You can get non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai at a embassy or consulate.

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit them.

You can apply for non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration and then a one year extension of stay at immigration if you are the legal father of your child by way of marriage or legitimization of your parenthood.

• Thanks 1

So it's a matter of finding an immigration office that would let me do either the 60 days extension or the non-o visa while on amnesty.

Failing to find that can I try to get another 30 days covid extension and apply for the non-o visa while on that extension?

European embassies doesn't give extension letter at the moment but I think they'll have to do if thai government doesn't come out with other solutions... I guess we have to wait some more days for announcements

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

If your local IO is unwilling to handle your application, please note that since you are on a Tourist Visa, that you can apply at any IO so it would then be a matter of finding an IO that would be more accomodating.

If my last entry was on a 30-day visa exempt at Nongkhai on March 6, which was then extended by 60 days based on marriage until June 3 (days before the amnesty announcement, unfortunately!), and I have been on the amnesty since June 3, are there any IO's that are accepting applications for the initial 90-day Non-Imm O visa based on marriage or are they all refusing?

If yes, am I eligible to apply for the 90-day Non-Imm O visa based on marriage at any of those IO's since my last entry was visa exempt, same as the OP, rather than at the IO where I currently reside?

Many thanks in advance!

10 hours ago, MagnumForce said:

If yes, am I eligible to apply for the 90-day Non-Imm O visa based on marriage at any of those IO's since my last entry was visa exempt, same as the OP, rather than at the IO where I currently reside?

The requirements to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration are more stringent than a normal 30 day day extension. Read the info here I posted earlier in this topic. http://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/06-edit_NON-O.pdf

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The requirements to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration are more stringent than a normal 30 day day extension. Read the info here I posted earlier in this topic. http://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/06-edit_NON-O.pdf

Thanks, Ubonjoe. You gave me that information before and it has been a great guideline.

However, what I would like to know is if there any IO's that are accepting applications for the initial 90-day Non-Imm O visa based on marriage if one is on the Visa Amnesty, or are they all refusing?

And, if there are some offices accepting these applications, can I use them if they are not in the province where I am currently located, since my last entry to Thailand was a Visa Exempt entry, extended by 60 days based on marriage?

Many thanks!

16 minutes ago, MagnumForce said:

However, what I would like to know is if there any IO's that are accepting applications for the initial 90-day Non-Imm O visa based on marriage if one is on the Visa Amnesty, or are they all refusing?

Most offices are refusing it since the do not consider it a valid visa exempt or tourist visa entry. That can also be a requirement of the Immigration Division headquarters that the local immigration office is under that has to approve the application. That is why you must have at least 15 days remaining on your entry to apply.

I am aware of a case near the start of all this of person having to get a letter from his embassy to get the special 30 day extension to apply for one based upon attending school due to being under the amnesty already after extending his tourist visa entry.

All you can do is check with your local office. 

On 7/11/2020 at 8:37 AM, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

It is possible to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration based upon marriage. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only on the day your apply. See: http://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/06-edit_NON-O.pdf Then during the last 30 days of the 90 days you could apply for a one year extension when the 400k baht has been in the bank for 2 months.

They problem now is that immigration is not accepting visa applications if your are on the amnesty. They might do it if you applied for the 60 day extension.

I'm going to talk to immigration here in Kalasin this morning.  I am currently on tourist visa which expires on Sept 19..  We got married recently.. I have 400K in the bank.. 2 months on Aug 1st.. I will ask for Non O based on marriage.. will let you know how I get along.. 

7 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

I'm going to talk to immigration here in Kalasin this morning.  I am currently on tourist visa which expires on Sept 19..  We got married recently.. I have 400K in the bank.. 2 months on Aug 1st.. I will ask for Non O based on marriage.. will let you know how I get along.. 

I guess you mean that you will ask Immigration if they can do a "conversion" for you to an extension of stay based on marriage...

glegolo

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, glegolo said:

I guess you mean that you will ask Immigration if they can do a "conversion" for you to an extension of stay based on marriage...

It depends if you are talking about his application for the

- 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting his wife;

- 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.

In his case - being here on a Tourist Visa - that latter application would be a 'Change of Visa' and he would apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.  And in the last month of that 90-day Visa he can then apply for the 1-year extension of stay.

However, if his local IO will not accept his application for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa, because him now being on the Amnesty extension with an expired permission to stay, he could enquire whether they would accept to do so from a 60-day extension of stay (for reason of visiting his wife).  If so he could, 15 days (or 23 days - depending on the office) before the permission to stay from that 60-days extension of stay expires, then apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage. 

And in case his local IO would not accept his Non Imm O marriage Visa application (even with the intermediate 60-day extension of stay application to be once again on a 'valid' permission to stay and not on Amnesty one), he could then look for another IO that might be more accomodating.

I am on a Non O Multi which expires on August 5. I know l can get a 60 day extension on that. 

My question is this.

Can l apply for a Non O based on marriage and 400k in the bank at application. Being that, the 400k would have been in the bank for the 2 months via the 60 day extension???

12 minutes ago, Expat Brad said:

I am on a Non O Multi which expires on August 5. I know l can get a 60 day extension on that. 

My question is this.

Can l apply for a Non O based on marriage and 400k in the bank at application. Being that, the 400k would have been in the bank for the 2 months via the 60 day extension???

Simple answer = YES

I entered Thailand and got a 30 day tourist visa on arrival, I extended it once and I am now on the amnesty

Background: I am female, married to a thai and have kids that live here 

I visited immigration (Krabi ) today and was told I could convert to a marriage visa for '15k baht, but maybe more' - that was all the info they would give me - it was approaching lunch time (rolls eyes) - so I left to think about it and thought I'd check in here to see what others are saying

30 minutes ago, Sarahandra said:

I visited immigration (Krabi ) today and was told I could convert to a marriage visa for '15k baht, but maybe more' - that was all the info they would give me - it was approaching lunch time (rolls eyes) - so I left to think about it and thought I'd check in here to see what others are saying

Some office will not do it unless you are on valid permit to stay and the do not consider the "automatic extension" under the amnesty one.

You could ask them about applying for a 60 day extension to visit your husband and then doing the 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry application.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sarahandra said:

Background: I am female, married to a thai and have kids that live here 

Apply for citizenship.

Citizenship is easily obtained by women married to Thai men.

No need to work, or speak Thai, or even wait long.

(and another 'confused' person on my ignore list)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1