Bangkok to Phitsanulok train derails - no injuries reported

rooster59

Bangkok to Phitsanulok train derails - no injuries reported

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTY0MS84MjA1NjEwL3RyYWluLmpwZw==.jpg

Image: Sanook

Sanook published an aerial image of a Bangkok to Phitsanulok train that derailed yesterday evening.

It had left the capital at 9.25 and was due to arrive in the northern city at 5.55 pm. 

The derailing happened as the train - #201 - was about to enter Ban Mai station in Wat Phrik sub-district around 5.30 pm.

The main engine was on its side and three other carriages left the rails. There were seven carriages in total.

A passenger called Sirinuch, 40, reported hearing the sound of brakes screeching and seeing lots of dust.

No injuries were reported and the line was expected to be fully operational today.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-11

• Sad 1

I swear I did not put a 10 baht coin on the track to flatten it out and add to my collection.  Not my fault.....

The big question is what it brake failure...lol, or was there a track issue where the train jumped the track due to some other mechanical issue.  Time to bring in the crane and lift it back up.  Where is Thomas the Tank Train when you need him.

• Haha 1

Typical standard guage line accident where a small object across one line or speed can derail a whole train , this happened on a straight run ?

Possibly some idiot crossing the track without looking .

Edited by keith101
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It's metre gauge on that stretch is it not? 

Yes correct down from the standard 1.35 to 1.0 which is unstable and why so many derailments happen , what i meant by standard was this 1 metre guage that the northern line uses .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

Are you suggesting there are to many levers for one signalman? 

No he was mentioning the man was exhausted and could not even get into his cot after having mis shifted the lever to switch the track....well maybe

3 hours ago, keith101 said:

Typical standard guage line accident where a small object across one line or speed can derail a whole train , this happened on a straight run ?

Possibly some idiot crossing the track without looking .

Its narrow gauge and the brakes would automatically apply when it jumped the tracks. I would say split points , good advert for H/S rail. 

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

SRT is metre gauge.

Looks like it happened at a facing junction.

Facing Point Lock (FPL) not engaged? 

They are supposed to be interlocked with the track circuits if a train is approaching or on them. However if the track circuit has failed then you can break a glass cover and release the track circuit by pushing a button adjacent to the lever frame (SRT mainly uses British made Westinghouse systems). If you have released the track circuit due to such a failure, you are supposed to physically clip the point in position, before allowing the train over it at reduced speed. If you don't bother doing that, you risk the point blades moving under the train, one bogie goes one way, the other goes the other way, bump, thump, bump, and when the dust settles you have a locomotive with a serious earth fault!

I could be wrong...

There is nothing inherently unstable or unsafe about metre gauge railways, or the mechanical signalling systems SRT use, as long as the systems are properly maintained and the rules for when something fails are observed.

Edited by herfiehandbag
Trainspotting head on...
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, mrfill said:

India has 5ft 3in gauge and has many, many more derailments

And probably several hundred times the route mileage!

There is nothing wrong with Metre gauge railways, as long as the permanent way is properly maintained, and the trains are operated with due regard for the speed restrictions and signalling procedures. There are some 95,000km of metre gauge in use worldwide. On the route which I know, the Northern line to Chiang Mai, there is some very good permanent way, which allows comparatively high speed running (80 Kmph or so). There are other bits about which I am less enthusiastic.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, missoura said:

I have a hunch on what might have happened...

cot.JPG

that bye byes bed looks very convenient. And all that Gold on a mere signalmans uniform might have slowed his reactions too!

For anyone that may be interested, as a passenger, I drove a Thai train to Kanchanaburi back in 2001.

I went to take a photo of the driver, he sat me down in his seat and let me drive the thing for about five minutes. There must have been 200 people on that train, maybe more.

I've got a non-digital photo of me looking very shocked sitting on the controls as this train hurtles along at 80km/h. 

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

SRT is metre gauge.

Looks like it happened at a facing junction.

Yes indeed. If the photo is studied, you can see the train is approaching on a single line which branches into 3 lines by the look of it. In my opinion "points failure". When the new double track (still metre gauge) is completed throughout (including the Northern Line) this type of accident should be much less common - no passing loops! The HST standard gauge is an entirely different project.

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

For anyone that may be interested, as a passenger, I drove a Thai train to Kanchanaburi back in 2001.

I went to take a photo of the driver, he sat me down in his seat and let me drive the thing for about five minutes. There must have been 200 people on that train, maybe more.

I've got a non-digital photo of me looking very shocked sitting on the controls as this train hurtles along at 80km/h. 

'Hurtles' at 80; what name do you use for going fast ?

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2020 at 9:27 AM, ThailandRyan said:

I swear I did not put a 10 baht coin on the track to flatten it out and add to my collection.  Not my fault.....

The big question is what it brake failure...lol, or was there a track issue where the train jumped the track due to some other mechanical issue.  Time to bring in the crane and lift it back up.  Where is Thomas the Tank Train when you need him.

Thomas has been in the states celebrating Ringo's 80th birthday.