Pattaya: "Very drunk foreigner" crashes into Thai man chatting with a friend

rooster59

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I trust that they will throw the book at this idiot farang, take away his licence and deport him. 

right, because Thais are not know for driving drunk or having the #2 most dangerous drivers in the world. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1172149-pick-up-truck-mows-down-rescuers-who-were-helping-another-victim/?fbclid=IwAR0TTQJy5BzE9T9-g_GVxITs81_Wzt2oK6smduR4V5bs1UW6Olt5Vxh-N8g

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sdo3610 said:

That doesn't excuse this bloke in any way.

Why would you suppose it does?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I trust that they will throw the book at this idiot farang, take away his licence and deport him. 

as theyd  hopefully  do to  all the drunk Thais ( well except deportation)

18 minutes ago, alien365 said:

What I take from watching the video and the news this morning about the black Hilux killing three rescue workers is that these rescue workers need to be more visible and stop wearing dark coloured clothing at night. 

Something I mentioned in that thread, had they secured the accident area, often I see nothing except someone waving which way to go when its usually blatantly obvious there is  only  one way to go, that sais  too many people slowing to have a good  old  gawk, sad  bastds.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

if he doesn't front up any money, that could happen to him.  If he puts some money on the table, he will carry on living here as normal, which in many cases means, he'll be back driving drunk again next week.

Unfortunately, justice is also valued in baht here.

7 hours ago, mike787 said:

Thank you all those foreigners who cannot handle you liquor for making us regular expats feel more accepted by thais...nice job! 

It ain't just that, I always got the impression that drink (& drug) driving amongst farang would be V prevalent in Thailand, especially places like Pattaya.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Your solution sounds like a slap on the wrist. he needs to pay all the hospital bills for the victim, pay a very large fine and spend time in a cell with lots of Thais.

He was lucky to be taken away by the law. Sounds like he should have had some "street justice" dealt to him.

8 hours ago, mike787 said:

Thank you all those foreigners who cannot handle you liquor for making us regular expats feel more accepted by thais...nice job! 

What do you expect in a place with no proper metered taxis?  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I could almost always get one in Bangkok, but nowhere else.

The taxi drivers will try it on in Bangkok, but if they don't use the meter, you can get out and 30 seconds later you can try again with another one.  

In Pattaya, they don't use the meters because taxi transport runs like a cartel here.

A tourist may pay 500 or 600 baht to go just down the road, but an expat will drive or ride, often times, drunk. 

I would suggest, most expats, even some Thai's, would be prepared to pay the proper metered taxi rate to get home after drinking, but proper public transport is not allowed to exist here.  The result if this is a lot of road injury and death.      

11 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The taxi drivers will try it on in Bangkok, but if they don't use the meter, you can get out and 30 seconds later you can try again with another one.  

In Pattaya, they don't use the meters because taxi transport runs like a cartel here.

A tourist may pay 500 or 600 baht to go just down the road, but an expat will drive or ride, often times, drunk. 

I would suggest, most expats, even some Thai's, would be prepared to pay the proper metered taxi rate to get home after drinking, but proper public transport is not allowed to exist here.  The result if this is a lot of road injury and death.      

Very true. Also, as I've mentioned before on TV, the flag-fall for a taxi has been 35 Baht (in Bangkok) for over 20 years now. part of why I usually gave quite a good tip, as long as they put the meter on.

After saying that, if I were heading across town in the day time, I'd sometimes offer them 100 Baht for a 60 Baht fare (still only $3), partly because I don't want to spend 30 minutes to an hour trying to get a taxi.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Very true. Also, as I've mentioned before on TV, the flag-fall for a taxi has been 35 Baht (in Bangkok) for over 20 years now. part of why I usually gave quite a good tip, as long as they put the meter on.

After saying that, if I were heading across town in the day time, I'd sometimes offer them 100 Baht for a 60 Baht fare (still only $3), partly because I don't want to spend 30 minutes to an hour trying to get a taxi.

Yes, I would be the same, if I had the chance, but they throw a ridiculous price at you, like 500 or 600 baht, so the whole transport system fails the drivers, and the potential passengers. 

The drivers would actually make more money operating legitimately, then operating as a cartel, but they are happy to sit around all shift and do nothing, then rip off one passenger for over a day's salary.  

Where the corruption that allows this to happen is seen, is in articles like this, with drunk drivers causing accidents with innocent people.  

Public transport hasn't progressed passed what is has been here for decades, and that includes coming and going from the airport, and here we are in 2020, and still no proper metered taxis operating in Pattaya.  

"World Class Tourists Destination" with no taxis. ????

No wonder the majority of tourists to Pattaya now, the Chinese, are in coach buses. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

What do you expect in a place with no proper metered taxis?  

Now imagine if they had metered taxis and people that respected consequences...would be paradise!

22 hours ago, mike787 said:

Please define regular expat. 

Just curious. 

On 7/11/2020 at 9:46 AM, Pilotman said:

I agree, but I am thinking that it may not be a white "farang", if it was there would be a lot more said about it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/11/2020 at 2:24 PM, BritManToo said:

farang is Thai ethnic slur for Caucasians.

I only reply to your post for the benefit of those not very familiar with Thai language that may take what you say at face value.

Google - origin of "farang" and check the dictionary for the definition of "slur" and then decide if Farang is meant to be a slur.

I personally can't think of any other word that Thais use to describe fair skinned people of European descent as a group. If the word Farang is a slur then the word Asian must also be a slur.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I agree, but I am thinking that it may not be a white "farang", if it was there would be a lot more said about it.

The guy at 1.10 in the YT video is unlikely to just be an interested bystander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MjPmSUy_X8&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1pCkUnvc3HLHm9e79uvQCEBK9o2ULSe9beulK3_5pr0sZ87RgSQKUYNQY

On 7/11/2020 at 9:46 AM, Pilotman said:

I would prefer him to be treated according to the law. Rather than a person's moral compass.

Edited by jonclark
  • Sad 1