Amnesty or 60-day Extension to Visit Thai Family to Non Imm O (Marriage)

My O-A extension based on retirement finished yesterday. On Thursday, I went to C.M. Immigration for the purpose of getting a 60-day extension to visit family (hopeful that borders would reopen in 60-days in order to apply for a different (marriage) visa  at a neighboring Consulate). The Immigration officers strongly advised me and my wife against using up my 60-day family visa at this time, telling me to save it for an emergency. They recommended going on the Amnesty and following what happens with respect to the government extending the amnesty, and then at the end of July (or later if amnesty is extended) to come in and get the 60-day Family visa and then I could convert from that to another visa if the borders/consulates are still not open at that time.

My question is as follows: Assuming I could convert either amnesty or the 60-day Family visa to a Non Immigrant visa based on marriage (as now I will have 60+ days to prepare funds), what exactly is required with respect to using the 40K THB per month method? I have read conflicting information. On another thread ubonjoe stated that it is possible to show as proof - 40K for two months only when applying for the visa. Another member chimed in and stated that this was true for the first year only. Is this true? And specifically - what has to be shown: one deposit into a Thai bank account for 40K or more, or can there be say 3 deposits totaling 40K throughout the month? Is there a specific requirement of where the funds are from? Does there have to proof that the funds were transferred from overseas?

Thank you very much for your help.

Two months of 40k baht transfers is only for the first extension of a entry from a non immigrant visa. Since you were on a extension before it does not apply to you unless you were actually on a one year entry from a OA visa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Two months of 40k baht transfers is only for the first extension of a entry from a non immigrant visa. Since you were on a extension before it does not apply to you unless you were actually on a one year entry from a OA visa.

Sorry Joe, I don't follow you.

I was on a O-A visa for the last 12-13 years. It expired yesterday.

44 minutes ago, elektrified said:

I was on a O-A visa for the last 12-13 years. It expired yesterday.

Your OA visa expired years ago. You have been extending the last one year entry from it.

Unless you can show a year of at least 40k baht transfers you will not be able to change to an extension based upon marriage.

Your best option is to put 400k baht into a Thai bank in your name only and then apply for the extension near the end of the 60 day extension when it in the bank for 2 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Members,

I really need help, I have been laid of in May 2020 and my visa and workpermit expired and cancelled by the employer. I don't want to go back to India until the Covid issue subside and the situation get backs to normal with Airline. I got a new job recently, but understood that within one week only it could be renewed. As it is not done the only way is to return to India and get a non-B which is almost impossible as all embassies are closed there. Back-door way some agents asked me 100K baht for each person to renew it. Due to this implications my prospective employer gave up the hope and decided to put my candidature down. Now I am jobless and amnesty is going to end on 31 July. And under-deep-mental-stress. Can I get a volunteer or some other visa to stay in Thailand. I really do't want to travel with repatriation flight and expose my family to Covid affected areas. In India also, the commute is not started to reach to my home town. Much appreciated for your help in this regard.

With Regards

On 7/11/2020 at 10:31 AM, ubonjoe said:

Can these 40k transfers be just from my bank back in UK, or do they have to be "income"?  I don't have income, only deposits & investments.  Would prefer to use this method rather than 400,000 in local bank.

My local immigration office is Chiang Mai

Edited by Yorkshire Tea

43 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Can these 40k transfers be just from my bank back in UK, or do they have to be "income"?  I don't have income, only deposits & investments.  Would prefer to use this method rather than 400,000 in local bank.

Yes they can be investments. saving and etc. You might be asked for proof of the source of your income which could be statements and etc.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

2 @ 40k transfers is NOT an option at Chiang Mai Immigration. I was misled on this forum and others, and am now up <deleted>s creek. They demand 12 months of 40k transfers or 400k for 2 months (or 3 months of employment taxes paid). No discussion and no other options. Buyer beware.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, khunyod said:

2 @ 40k transfers is NOT an option at Chiang Mai Immigration. I was misled on this forum and others, and am now up <deleted>s creek. They demand 12 months of 40k transfers or 400k for 2 months (or 3 months of employment taxes paid). No discussion and no other options. Buyer beware.

Yes - is not wise to believe the happy-stories about how 'easy' extensions are - or that immigration will consistently follow the published-rules - which are always subject to change, and differently at each office.  For some people, with certain types of situations, it is "no problem" - but for the rest of us, not so fast.

One option would be to move to Bangkok, temporarily, and try your extension there.  The other is to use the agents - infamous in CM.

Otherwise, see you in Turkey late September - as I am up s-creek, too, thanks to outdated-info about what was needed to prove my work-income at CW (they changed their rules) - unless my employer wants to shell-out a small-fortune to a 'lawyer' to 'fix' things.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, khunyod said:

Not good news ????