non immigrant o and retirement visa

hi

can somebody ever heard about the requirement go give away his passport for 3 weeks?

my visa agent told me its a part of the non immigrant/retirement visa application.

that sound wired to me to stay without passport for 3 weeks.

thanks

Edited by cobyco
spelling

Immigration never keeps the passport after a application is done. Only a few offices do keep it overnight after a extension of stay application is accepted.

The agent has your passport. They often do that.

• Thanks 1

seems a long time... have you used that agent before ? ask him why he needs it for 3 weeks. They may keep it for a period of time, that's up to the agent as maybe he's just not sure when he will meet with his IO.

• Thanks 1

They will collect passports until they have a bundle of them. 

I suggest you ask the agent when he plans on processing at immigration and possibly have him contact you the day before.

I would not give up my passport for 3 weeks either as I have seen at some agencies how they ¨secure¨ the passports.

Thrown into an unlocked drawer in their office.  Not secure by any means.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, cobyco said:

hi 

its intial conversion to non-o

Then my understanding is that they do need your passport for longer as it's a 2 stage process.... 

1. Convert to the initial 90 Day Non-Imm O Single Entry 
  2. Extend this for 12 months, NB if you were doing this yourself you would need to wait 45-60 days into the Visa before you can extend, I'm assuming Agents have a way of doing it sooner. 

At the end of it you should have around 15 months permission to stay from when you 1st started. 

I guess you could ask the Agent for your passport back once you have the 90 day Non-O if it bothered you being without your passport for so long. 

• Thanks 1