Not only the old and fat are at risk (athlete got covid)

robblok

A 40-year-old man taking part in athletic competitions shared a “before and after” photo showing the shocking effect of the coronavirus on his body.

Ahmad Ayyad, who lives in Washington, D.C., felt the first flu-like symptoms on March 11. Only a few days later, after confirmation of the presence of coronavirus in his body, he was placed in John Hopkins Hospital.

He then became the first Covid-19 patient at the facility to be connected to a respiratory machine. Over the next 25 days, Ahmad was sedated and in a rather delirious state, losing more than 50 pounds.

According to the hospital, the athlete weighed 220lbs when he was first admitted, and almost a month later he woke up from an artificial coma and discovered that he weighed only 152 lbs.

56 minutes ago, jvs said:

Looking at his belly he was surely taking something other then just food.Not a natural athlete imo.

I am not sure if he is a natural athlethe he is quite muscular. His belly seems to be still hold some fat. I would not say that there is anything that can cause that. The Idea that HGH can do that has been debunked already. I would wager that you can get this kind of body naturally. 

Having said that it does not mean he did not take anything., but it certainly had no influence on his belly. 

Just now, bodga said:

Whose this  Rik  fella  anyway? right I bet ya there are  way  more elderly  than athletes  who've come down with it and died, way  more.

Of course, but just saying that being in shape and healthy does not mean if you get infected it wont have some bad effects. 

• Like 1

Tony Boselli is a prime example.  He recovered but it give you an idea what can happen.

From CBS:

Tony Boselli, one of the greatest offensive lineman of his era, recently spent five days in the hospital after he and his wife, Angie, tested positive for the coronavirus. While his wife never needed to be hospitalized and has made a full recovery, Boselli says that he is still in recovery after spending time in the ICU unit. 

Boselli, a five-time Pro Bowler and three-time All-Pro during his seven seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars, first felt ill when had a runny nose in mid-March, thinking he had a cold or sinus infection. But it turned bad in a hurry when he started to get flu-like symptoms and then found out he had been around somebody who tested positive for Covid-19. A day after that, Boselli got tested and he found out he had the Covid-19.

"When I first got sick, I thought it wasn't a big deal," Boselli told CBS Sports. "I was 47 and healthy. I thought I'd be back to myself. It went the wrong way quickly."

On his first night in ICU, getting oxygen pumped into him in an attempt to try to get levels up, the doctor told him if that didn't work, they would have to try something else. Like a machine – but Boselli wasn't sure if it was a ventilator they had in mind. He just knew it didn't sound good.

"In the back of my mind, since I was already in ICU and hooked up to oxygen, I wondered what if it goes wrong, (with the new treatment)" Boselli said. "Bad thoughts come into your head. I tried not to have them cross my mind, but they do. You lay there alone with your thoughts and nobody can see you. The scariest thing was not knowing what was next. I was anxious. I didn't want it to be the way it goes for me. I didn't want to die there. 

Boselli is back home now and is recovering, and plans to ride his bike soon on the advice of his doctors to get his lungs back in shape.

"I'm getting there," he said. "This was so much worse than I could have imagined."

His advice to those who aren't taking it seriously?

"It's real, and it's bad for some people," Boselli said. "Look at me. I didn't think it was a big deal at first, and look how it turned out for me. This is a bad virus and people have to take it seriously."

• Like 1

I read an article that 2 studies had show that approximately 70% of males that have died from covid 19 were bald or had male pattern baldness which is mostly related to high levels of androgens. Potentially indicating that it may make you more susceptible to severe covid 19 illness. 

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Kennycrossfit said:

So to get a sixpack you got to be taking something? 

Lower part of his six pack and hips look a bit strange. Some people say that HGH use gives an bigger belly (has been debunked). I thought the poster was referring to that. 

10 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

I read an article that 2 studies had show that approximately 70% of males that have died from covid 19 were bald or had male pattern baldness which is mostly related to high levels of androgens. Potentially indicating that it may make you more susceptible to severe covid 19 illness. 

You do know you can have a different interpretation on that one. 

Most bald people are older so it could be an age thing.

If it specifically talks about male pattern baldness sure it could be this way but there are other reasons for it not just androgen. 

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

Lower part of his six pack and hips look a bit strange. Some people say that HGH use gives an bigger belly (has been debunked). I thought the poster was referring to that. 

Yes, his obliques do look a bit strange, I have seen before with people doing heavy side raises. Looks like he is on something to be honest. 

• Thanks 1

The key question is not whether someone will get infected or not.  The question is how does the infected person respond afterwards?  In most cases if one is old(over 70), obese(BMI over 30), has diabetes and/or smokes then chances are he or she will be in the ICU hooked up to a respirator. 

I have read of 21 year old college student who died two weeks after testing positive.  She was extremely obese.  I have also read of 66 year old woman from Utah who was infected while on a cruise aboard the Diamond Princess.  She recovered without being hospitalized.  She is slim and very fit.  Of course after the news got out her Gym asked her not come in anymore(this was due to hysteria and ignorance).  I recently read of a 52 year old police officer in Los Angeles who was on a respirator for 2 weeks after being infected.  This guy was fit and was a bodybuilder(he might have had an underlying condition(s) that was not made public).  

The infection numbers from some countries at first look seem to be ominous but most will recover.  There is no guarantee how any of us will respond after getting infected with COVID 19 but being slim and fit will improve your chances of a full recovery.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Denim said:

From a site with a name like anabolicminds I would expect no less.

Anabolic means nothing more then muscle growth.. its the opposite of catabolic. But on the site anabolics are discussed (and natural too). 

But the source of this article is not anabolic minds but an other its just a repost.

Edited by robblok

35 minutes ago, Kennycrossfit said:

Yes, his obliques do look a bit strange, I have seen before with people doing heavy side raises. Looks like he is on something to be honest. 

He could have been onto something.. but I don't know. I don't think that this kind of body really needs much (besides some good genes)

Individual cases may be interesting but you should always look at the bigger picture to draw conclusions.

plenty of people smoke 20 Cigarettes a day and never develop lung cancer but if you look at the bigger picture you would notice that smoking is a risk.

plenty of young people are affected severely by Covid but if you look at the bigger picture you would notice that the risk is actually very very small.

11 hours ago, robblok said:

So all of us are at risk.. not just the old. 

True for everyone from conception. There are thousands of ways we could die or get permanently disabled. Corona is just one more. It's only a boogie monster because it affects western people. The other diseases like Ebola that only affect Africans don't get the same status despite being worse.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

True for everyone from conception. There are thousands of ways we could die or get permanently disabled. Corona is just one more. It's only a boogie monster because it affects western people. The other diseases like Ebola that only affect Africans don't get the same status despite being worse.

In the city of Marburg , Germany , was a outbreak of ebola type virus in 1967 . Ebola is very deadly ( well not so anymore since they found a cure ) , but is easily managed since short incubation period and plenty of signs . So , it is completely incorrect to say it only affects African people , and also wrong to say it is worse . Huge outbreak a few years back was handled quite fast even in multimillion cities by a lockdown . All diseases affect all people no matter were you come from or what color you have . There are however genetic differences which might be more gentle or worse , pure genetic wise ( which can be by region if your ancesters had sortlike diseases in that region )

6 hours ago, bartender100 said:

Of the 40,000+ dead in the UK, under 45yo there was only 400+. Under 25yo more chance of being struck by lightening than dying of C19

probably yes , under 25 your chances of dying by C-19 is pretty slim . Even getting severe symptoms prob is quite rare @-25 . The 1 thing you forget is that the -25y old can surely carry it and spread it all around and by so killing a lot of other people you are more vulnerable for it . Even 1 person spreading it to 2 others it goes very fast to infect 1 million .... so that harmless -25y old just killed maybe 100.000 people .... suddenly he/she can be ranked among the worlds greatest mass murderers , and prob the biggest non country leader mass murderer .

R-value of C-19 is prob around 3-4 , without measures taken . So 1 person infects 3-4 others .

15 hours ago, sezze said:

In the city of Marburg , Germany , was a outbreak of ebola type virus in 1967 . Ebola is very deadly ( well not so anymore since they found a cure ) , but is easily managed since short incubation period and plenty of signs . So , it is completely incorrect to say it only affects African people , and also wrong to say it is worse . Huge outbreak a few years back was handled quite fast even in multimillion cities by a lockdown . All diseases affect all people no matter were you come from or what color you have . There are however genetic differences which might be more gentle or worse , pure genetic wise ( which can be by region if your ancesters had sortlike diseases in that region )

probably yes , under 25 your chances of dying by C-19 is pretty slim . Even getting severe symptoms prob is quite rare @-25 . The 1 thing you forget is that the -25y old can surely carry it and spread it all around and by so killing a lot of other people you are more vulnerable for it . Even 1 person spreading it to 2 others it goes very fast to infect 1 million .... so that harmless -25y old just killed maybe 100.000 people .... suddenly he/she can be ranked among the worlds greatest mass murderers , and prob the biggest non country leader mass murderer .

R-value of C-19 is prob around 3-4 , without measures taken . So 1 person infects 3-4 others .

Yes I do get your point there, so isolate the old and the vulnerable, not the whole bloody world, governments would only have to furlough over say 50yo.

I think that when we refer to an athlete it should

On 7/11/2020 at 12:12 PM, bkk6060 said:

Tony Boselli is a prime example.  He recovered but it give you an idea what can happen.

From CBS:

Tony Boselli, one of the greatest offensive lineman of his era, recently spent five days in the hospital after he and his wife, Angie, tested positive for the coronavirus. While his wife never needed to be hospitalized and has made a full recovery, Boselli says that he is still in recovery after spending time in the ICU unit. 

Boselli, a five-time Pro Bowler and three-time All-Pro during his seven seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars, first felt ill when had a runny nose in mid-March, thinking he had a cold or sinus infection. But it turned bad in a hurry when he started to get flu-like symptoms and then found out he had been around somebody who tested positive for Covid-19. A day after that, Boselli got tested and he found out he had the Covid-19.

"When I first got sick, I thought it wasn't a big deal," Boselli told CBS Sports. "I was 47 and healthy. I thought I'd be back to myself. It went the wrong way quickly."

On his first night in ICU, getting oxygen pumped into him in an attempt to try to get levels up, the doctor told him if that didn't work, they would have to try something else. Like a machine – but Boselli wasn't sure if it was a ventilator they had in mind. He just knew it didn't sound good.

"In the back of my mind, since I was already in ICU and hooked up to oxygen, I wondered what if it goes wrong, (with the new treatment)" Boselli said. "Bad thoughts come into your head. I tried not to have them cross my mind, but they do. You lay there alone with your thoughts and nobody can see you. The scariest thing was not knowing what was next. I was anxious. I didn't want it to be the way it goes for me. I didn't want to die there. 

Boselli is back home now and is recovering, and plans to ride his bike soon on the advice of his doctors to get his lungs back in shape.

"I'm getting there," he said. "This was so much worse than I could have imagined."

His advice to those who aren't taking it seriously?

"It's real, and it's bad for some people," Boselli said. "Look at me. I didn't think it was a big deal at first, and look how it turned out for me. This is a bad virus and people have to take it seriously."

I think that when we refer to an athlete it should mean now, and that someone is in good shape.