Fit to Fly and Covid Insurance - How Does The Thai Government Expect This To Work?

If a person in Thailand flys to another country, how are they suppose to obtain a fit to fly certificate there?  If I went to Australia, Vietnam, Italy etc.  I would have no idea where to obtain a fit to fly doctors certificate.  Lets say other countries require the same thing, and I travel to more than one country on a holiday or are on a cruise that stops at several different countries.  How are you suppose to get the required doctors fit to fly statement?  Regarding insurance, I guess I could show the immigration officer my insurance card.  How will they know it covers COVID and the amount of the coverage?  For that matter, how would they be able to ascertain the insurance card was not totally bogus. 

Many Thai health insurance companies won't provide cover for people over 65. People over 70 have problems getting cover above $50,000 unless they were previously covered. Seven Corners mentioned above will only cover up to the age of 80. Some insurers specifically exclude covid19 cover.

As I am getting older this is becoming a huge issue for me. 

I am in the Philippines and so far there is no compulsory insurance requirements but I am worried in case they do. 

As it is, I may never be able to go back to Thailand? 

On 7/11/2020 at 12:11 PM, Chivas said:

Its simply not going to work whatsoever. Reading yesterday of their requirments pre flight for the 72 hours prior to departures.

Within that timespan (so in reality the two days before the flight) visit doctor, get covid test, get covid results then attend Thai Embassy in London with all documentation to get signed off

Simply impossible in the UK...period

(edited to add last Thursday had blood test at my own GP nothing to do with Covid....handed slip of paper to ring back after 7 days for results...you get my drift)

OP is talking about flying out of Thailand, not enter the country. Everything depends on where you're going and from where. If you're going home your country decides what you need. 

1 hour ago, rosst said:

As I am getting older this is becoming a huge issue for me. 

I am in the Philippines and so far there is no compulsory insurance requirements but I am worried in case they do. 

As it is, I may never be able to go back to Thailand? 

You have to wait at least until the emergency decree is lifted. Maybe then, the requirements will be eased (a bit maybe?).

On 7/11/2020 at 5:54 AM, Thomas J said:

If a person in Thailand flys to another country, how are they suppose to obtain a fit to fly certificate there?  If I went to Australia, Vietnam, Italy etc.  I would have no idea where to obtain a fit to fly doctors certificate.  Lets say other countries require the same thing, and I travel to more than one country on a holiday or are on a cruise that stops at several different countries.  How are you suppose to get the required doctors fit to fly statement?

Local research, google etc will give you the information for local medical practices.

A fit to fly certificate should be issued by any private hospital.

There are online services where a doctor will issue you with Fit to Fly certification (in the UK for £30) - this certificate may be accepted internationally.

On 7/11/2020 at 5:54 AM, Thomas J said:

Regarding insurance, I guess I could show the immigration officer my insurance card.  How will they know it covers COVID and the amount of the coverage?  For that matter, how would they be able to ascertain the insurance card was not totally bogus. 

Most insurance companies will issue a certificate stating that you are carrying insurance which covers you for covid-19 related complications up to what ever your maximum cover is. 

I imagine anyone caught trying to present a bogus certificate compromises their entry into the Kingdom.

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2020 at 6:11 AM, Chivas said:

Its simply not going to work whatsoever. Reading yesterday of their requirments pre flight for the 72 hours prior to departures.

Within that timespan (so in reality the two days before the flight) visit doctor, get covid test, get covid results then attend Thai Embassy in London with all documentation to get signed off

(edited to add last Thursday had blood test at my own GP nothing to do with Covid....handed slip of paper to ring back after 7 days for results...you get my drift)

Why do people write ‘period’ implying that there is no more discussion and their points are the only points worth considering. ‘End of’ is also used by some to imply a finality to the conclusion of the discussion, as if their point is the final statement which cannot be questioned !!!... The best comment I see which is along the same lines is the Perry Mason-esque  ‘I rest my case’ as if the author believes they are cementing their point legally !!! 

---------

Regarding timespan: It's tight, but doable. Many Covid-19 test facilities are promising a turn around of 48hrs.

(UK: Summerfield Health, Midland Health and many of the Private Health Practices on Harley St. London)

I have spoken with Midland Health who will post me a Covid-19 Test kit. ‘I self swab’ 3 days before the flight (following the instructions on the kit) and drive the Kit to the Lab (Priory Hospital) on the same day. The results are e-mailed to me within 48 hrs along with a Covid-19 Negative certificate and also a Fit to Fly certificate (Price £190). 

I immediately e-mail the Certification to the Embassy who reply with the Certificate of Entry. 

This system does rely on a certain efficiency. To say it is 'not going to work’ is inaccurately dismissive. 

I’m awaiting approval to get on a repatriation flight next week: I report back as to whether the system worked. 

Additionally: About 4 weeks ago I had a blood test at the local GP (nothing to do with Covid-19), I was phoned that afternoon with the results.

Covid-19 PCR tests take longer because they have to culture the virus. 

• Confused 2

39 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why do people write ‘period’ implying that there is no more discussion and their points are the only points worth considering. ‘End of’ is also used by some to imply a finality to the conclusion of the discussion, as if their point is the final statement which cannot be questioned !!!... The best comment I see which is along the same lines is the Perry Mason-esque  ‘I rest my case’ as if the author believes they are cementing their point legally !!! 

---------

Regarding timespan: It's tight, but doable. Many Covid-19 test facilities are promising a turn around of 48hrs.

(UK: Summerfield Health, Midland Health and many of the Private Health Practices on Harley St. London)

I have spoken with Midland Health who will post me a Covid-19 Test kit. ‘I self swab’ 3 days before the flight (following the instructions on the kit) and drive the Kit to the Lab (Priory Hospital) on the same day. The results are e-mailed to me within 48 hrs along with a Covid-19 Negative certificate and also a Fit to Fly certificate (Price £190). 

I immediately e-mail the Certification to the Embassy who reply with the Certificate of Entry. 

This system does rely on a certain efficiency. To say it is 'not going to work’ is inaccurately dismissive. 

I’m awaiting approval to get on a repatriation flight next week: I report back as to whether the system worked. 

Additionally: About 4 weeks ago I had a blood test at the local GP (nothing to do with Covid-19), I was phoned that afternoon with the results.

Covid-19 PCR tests take longer because they have to culture the virus. 

Agreed, as we did see successful case back here.

After all, this greatly depends on one's eagerness to come back here.

Good luck on getting your repatriate flight. ????

I'm now doing research on how can I fulfil the necessary requirements at the country which in emergency case that I need to be there.

Edited by Calvin1976

On 7/11/2020 at 10:04 AM, ezzra said:

The saying of Throwing away the baby with the bathwater comes to mind every time i read the newly minted rules and regulation not only of this country but others as well scrambling to get ahead of the fast spreading virus looking like like headless chickens running around all over the place...

What do you mean fast spreading more testing equals more positives. I have an idea, shelter in place. Have people bring you supplies for the rest of your scared lives just leave me the hell alone!

• Sad 1

On 7/11/2020 at 6:11 AM, Chivas said:

Indeed - even though the insurance  requirements are not too difficult to meet (although a few days ago even they looked impossible) the tests and other docs are at present, impossible in UK.

Having said that - notice my emphasis - things are changing on a daily basis...continue to "watch this space" so to speak.

most responses here seem to assume tourists are single people (male?) visiting thailand (i wont speculate why that might be, live and let live...) but, if you are a family, with a couple of children, thinking about a holiday in thailand, i would suggest the expense and faffing around just to go on holiday simply wouldn't be worth the effort.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Donga said:

What about Credit Card Travel Insurance? I'm well covered for medical attention with MasterCard when I'm in Thailand. Is there any reason this won't satisfy Thai Immigration?

Will your Credit Card company provide you with a Certificate of Cover which states you are covered up to (or over) $100,00 for any complications relating to Covid-19?

1 minute ago, samsensam said:

most responses here seem to assume tourists are single people (male?) visiting thailand (i wont speculate why that might be, live and let live...) but, if you are a family, with a couple of children, thinking about a holiday in thailand, i would suggest the expense and faffing around just to go on holiday simply wouldn't be worth the effort.

Some seem to think the requirements are aimed at Tourists - they are not. 

At this stage the requirements are for the sole purpose of repatriating the people who meet the requirements. 

Tourists are unable to entry Thailand. 

• Like 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

At this stage the requirements are for the sole purpose of repatriating the people who meet the requirements. 

Yep agreed not for tourists at the moment though as someone trying to get out for work it is becoming far too convoluted and costly.

30 minutes ago, SVC Porter said:
31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yep agreed not for tourists at the moment though as someone trying to get out for work it is becoming far too convoluted and costly.

Costly indeed....

Covid-19 PCR Test and Certificate £190 (THB 7515)

Repatriation flight: £2514 (THB: 99,440) (from UK with Eva Air - only business class available)

Quarantine Booking: THB 45,000 (£1140)

Total: £3844 (THB: 152,050) 

We have to wait for the repatriation flight (potentially on 19th or 26th, depending on availability and approval)

So, for the pleasure of paying  about 150,000 baht we get to see our family in about 3 weeks !!! 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Will your Credit Card company provide you with a Certificate of Cover which states you are covered up to (or over) $100,00 for any complications relating to Covid-19?

To be honest, I haven't enquired. Was in Hua Hin until early June for just over three months, and would like to return early September. Hoping this nonsense settles into travel bubble between Thailand and Australia but Victorian fiasco might screw that up. I'll ring them tomorrow to find out if they will specifically call out Covid - probably won't ????

MCard Travel Insurance.jpg

Edited by Donga

1 hour ago, Donga said:

What about Credit Card Travel Insurance? I'm well covered for medical attention with MasterCard when I'm in Thailand. Is there any reason this won't satisfy Thai Immigration?

You would probably need to get a letter from the insurer detailing the amount covered - you know how pedantic the authorities are! (Well, Civil Servants the world over actually)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Donga said:

Travel insurance is usually time limited. You need confirmation they cover Covid19 care. Beware, they will not pay if there is a travel warning for Thailand.

Edited by Letseng

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Costly indeed....

Repatriation flight: £2514 (THB: 99,440) (from UK with Eva Air - only business class available)

We have to wait for the repatriation flight (potentially on 19th or 26th, depending on availability and approval)

So, for the pleasure of paying  about 150,000 baht we get to see our family in about 3 weeks !!! 

How many ppl travel? You talk about "we".

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Costly indeed....

Is this "Fit to Fly" cert. a special form a doctor has to fill in? Or is it just a letter? Tks