Yamaha Grand Filano 125 Hybrid ABS scooter..

transam

Just selling our 11+ year old PCX and 4 year old Grand Filano. Mrs.T wants a new bike. PCX was great but a bit heavy for what she uses a bike for. The filano was OK...

Vespa has been mentioned but the price is daft.

I have watched a few vids on the Filano hybrid, to me it all looks good and ahead of the crowd with the tech, plus half the price of a Vespa.

Anyone any feedback on the Hybrid....?

Wife got the Hybrid for over a year now.

Only thing we don't like is the key-less system, it's a pain, take some time getting used to.

Other than that, a fine little scooter, ABS on the front brake is really good.

To small for me so I stick to my aging PCX.

Agreed that you pay for the name for the Vespa (Made in Vietnam I think) and I also flatly refused when the wife showed interest in them.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Nice! I might follow you... giving my 7 year old Vespa to a friend - really didn't like it  - looks great handles badly IMHO

When I was a Mod, a 1960's Mod, I had a Lambretta Li150, then a Lambretta Fi TV175, and lastly a Vespa SS180, the Lambretta's were a far better handling bike, and I did throw them about...:stoner:

• Like 1

An excellent scoot choice.  The hybrid motor gives an acceleration boost , then recharges the battery. Scomadi - now made in Thailand - are styled on Lambrettas and designed by 2 English guys. Known for well designed exhaust and suspension systems. Royalalloy are also making very similar scoots. 

• Like 1

I was wondering how these hybrids are on scooters,  so it is not like cars that use the battery and electric motor when going slowly, then when you put your foot on gas the gasoline engine kicks in - well, that's how Toyota hybrid is when I drove it...!? 

7 hours ago, Agusts said:

I was wondering how these hybrids are on scooters,  so it is not like cars that use the battery and electric motor when going slowly, then when you put your foot on gas the gasoline engine kicks in - well, that's how Toyota hybrid is when I drove it...!? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the video, I don't know why it keeps repeating and promoting one push start, or stop-start system, we don't need hybrid for that, I'm yet to see a modern bike that needs more than one push to start... !? And stop-start has been around for a long time before hybrids came along... marketing gurus...! 

I am guessing that battery is not a simple small battery, good to know how long it lasts and replacement doesn't cost more than the fuel saved ....? 

I like the higher torque and possibly better acceleration though, but you need to race it against a non-hybrid and let us know , proof in the pudding as they say...????

22 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Thanks for the video, I don't know why it keeps repeating and promoting one push start, or stop-start system, we don't need hybrid for that, I'm yet to see a modern bike that needs more than one push to start... !? And stop-start has been around for a long time before hybrids came along... marketing gurus...! 

I am guessing that battery is not a simple small battery, good to know how long it lasts and replacement doesn't cost more than the fuel saved ....? 

I like the higher torque and possibly better acceleration though, but you need to race it against a non-hybrid and let us know , proof in the pudding as they say...????

It has the same physical size as regular bike batteries, Yuasa YTZ7S.

20 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

An excellent scoot choice.  The hybrid motor gives an acceleration boost , then recharges the battery. Scomadi - now made in Thailand - are styled on Lambrettas and designed by 2 English guys. Known for well designed exhaust and suspension systems. Royalalloy are also making very similar scoots. 

Nice but a bit pricey?  Scomadi and Royalalloy and then there's the maintenance issues etc.

Edited by BobBKK

41 minutes ago, transam said:

It has the same physical size as regular bike batteries, Yuasa YTZ7S.

That's good, they are widely available and not expensive,  but I wonder how much assist it can give to the torque and acceleration... , and if the engine is then tuned down to save petrol, so same power end result... !

Don't get me wrong, I love the new technology, but sometime in reality they are more of a gimmick and marketing ploy than actually be effective.

I have zero experience and info on hybrid scooters, so just asking questions, no idea, I'm sure it is all worth it at the end...

From what I heard the standard Filano is a great scooter for town, probably better than Click and all the rest...

3 minutes ago, Agusts said:

That's good, they are widely available and not expensive,  but I wonder how much assist it can give to the torque and acceleration... , and if the engine is then tuned down to save petrol, so same power end result... !

Don't get me wrong, I love the new technology, but sometime in reality they are more of a gimmick and marketing ploy than actually be effective.

I have zero experience and info on hybrid scooters, so just asking questions, no idea, I'm sure it is all worth it at the end...

From what I heard the standard Filano is a great scooter for town, probably better than Click and all the rest...

We just sold a 4 year old Grand Filano, Mrs.T really liked it but wanted a new bike, so I read up on the hybrid, she is always losing keys, the hybrid ABS doesn't have a key, uses a fob, has ABS brakes, LED lights all round, and a really cool pearl white colour, so it was me that pointed her in that direction for something a bit more techy than the crowd...???? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Randell said:

Just a thought but replacing the fob will be far more expensive than replacing keys.

Could be, but the keyed version also had an alarm fob, so two things to lose....????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bobbin said:

So the only real benefit to this hybrid tech is 3 seconds of acceleration assistance?

3 seconds improvement ...!? You are so optimistic, they could double the price for that... ????

Edited by Agusts
  • Confused 1

Yesterday Mrs.T got a call from Yamaha, your bike is here but it isn't pearl white...........????

"Why".....

"The pearl white and black has been discontinued, the last have been sold off, there is now an upgraded Hybrid ABS which has a choice of two colours, Metal and Greenery, they have sent the Metal as it is a light colour". ????

So this morning off we go to look at the thing, the metal is a very bright silver, the greenery one is an 'orrible colour green.

Anyhooo, that's not all that's changed, there is no chrome, bezels and names are all a shiny black, and the saddle is a maroon colour with ribs. 

Overall I thought it looked OK, and sure looked different to the crowd with the black stuff.

The bike is incredibly quiet, and it flew when she drove off to the Temple for its treatment.

Now waiting for her to turn up on it...

The new Hybrid ABS below...

https://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/commuter/new-grand-filano-hybrid-2020/overview

Sorry, I misunderstood the 3 seconds claim, I thought that it improves/shortens the acceleration of say 0-100kph by 3 sec, that would be too good...!

But if it meant it adds some power for duration of  3 sec, or 12 sec as mentioned, then that is different. That helps I guess, every little helps..., good to know how much 0-100kph changes...!? I'm assuming Filano gets to 100kph...

Sorry to hear about that pearl colour being discontinued, that was much prettier than this military atrocity ....! ????????

On 7/15/2020 at 2:51 PM, Randell said:

Just a thought but replacing the fob will be far more expensive than replacing keys.

We asked about the remote fob replacement /spare, it's 990bht....:thumbsup:... Reading the handbook, it tells you how to input the code into a spare fob..

Now, the non ABS has a key, but, that key has the tech in the fob, just like a car.... :whistling:

• 3 months later...

Honda & Yamaha are mislabeling their hybrid scooters. They are not hybrid, they are "mild hybrid". Also known as power assist or fake hybrid. The piston engine is always running when the vehicle is in motion. So in stop & go traffic, your own noise and exhaust is still there. Fake hybrid became popular in the States when they could use the carpool lane with a single occupant.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:42 AM, bobbin said:

So the only real benefit to this hybrid tech is 3 seconds of acceleration assistance?

Yes it is basically using to old Idle Stop system to get the scooter going from a stop.  Zero use or benefit once it has moved.

Had the bike for a few months now, very pleased with it, and soooooo quiet....Plus, the first bike we have had that doesn't jar my back on naff roads...

Not being a true electrical hybrid by name doesn't matter to me, after all, hybrid means using things to create something different, well the bike does use two things in its operation, even if for a short period...... ????

• Like 1