Transferring Bank apps to a new phone

I'm about to get a new phone and I know the shop will transfer all my data/apps etc from the old phone to the new one for me. But I do all my banking from my phone and have several mobile banking apps on my phone to do this, including UK banks, Thai banks, Transferwise, etc. and use my fingerprint to access the apps automatically. I know I will have to input my fingerprint into the new phone to be able to use it again but, when those apps details are transferred, will all the username/password info be transferred as well at the same time? Or will I have to start again and register with the banks again to use mobile banking? With the Thai banks I can just go into the branch if necessary, but, for example, When I log in to the UK Lloyds bank app, the first thing that comes up is a message saying 'authenticating your device' before looking for the fingerprint ID, which suggests they know which phone I'm using and will reject a different one. Does anybody know whether I would have to contact the UK banks or could it be completed on line?

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

I have literally just done this.

No need to contact my UK bank (Nationwide) but the new device did need authenticating which needed my card reader and bank card.

Similarly, the Thai banks needed the same process as they did when first set up, no actual contact but assorted OTPs (hope you are using the same phone number).

Cheers Crossy, That's good news.....except Lloyds Bank don't use a a card reader. Several months ago I selected the wrong option when updating some info and I had to input some 'memorable information' I'd logged with them many years ago before I could get into the app. Hopefully this will be the same.....and thanks for reminding me, yes I am using the same number. I have a Thai number, a giff gaff (UK) number and a Skype (UK) number all registered with the bank. If they're requesting/sending a OTP they usually ask which number I want them to use.

Write down your passwords for the fingerprint ones just in case when you re add the apps it requires a password. Check you have Line backup if you use it i.e. ID and email address. Files and contacts can go missing if on your phone memory so be careful with that. I changed phones 6 months ago and didn't have any issue with the bank apps i had

• Thanks 1

what type of phone, Android or Apple

I'm guessing but, if you have an account stored online, and i mean a phone account Google/apple, then all you have to do is sign in on your new phone, and all the user names and passwords will come back??

but you should have all of your passwords and usernames saved somewhere in a hard copy anyway.

if not start making a back up copy for future 

I use excel and regularly update then print it off etc

Store the soft copy on line in many different accounts, gmail outlook . com or yahoo etc

37 minutes ago, Upnotover said:
43 minutes ago, Crossy said:

you don't need the shop to do anything

Indeed.  I wont let the shop open the box, let alone turn it on.  The one time I did they filled the phone with all sorts of junk that it needed a factory reset to make it usable.

Last time I changed my phone three years ago it took me over two days to copy everything over (bluetooth etc). Banana copied everything over on my wife and daughter's phones quickly without any problems and there wasn't any bloatware/junk as far as we could see, so here's hoping.

It's an Android phone so I have a Google account which, I know, will re-install things from the account, but I assume Google will only re-install the apps downloaded from Play Store, not apps such as Red Box TV etc, or all my Google map links etc, all my files and my phone book.

33 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Write down your passwords for the fingerprint ones just in case when you re add the apps it requires a password. Check you have Line backup if you use it i.e. ID and email address. Files and contacts can go missing if on your phone memory so be careful with that. I changed phones 6 months ago and didn't have any issue with the bank apps i had

I'm in the process of checking/storing all my passwords and usernames thanks. I added LINE to my Laptop a few months ago and it gave two options on downloading, one deleted all my details but told me the option first so I could reject that. The other kept all my details/chat etc so I'm hoping I'll get the same options again cheers.

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

I have literally just done this.

No need to contact my UK bank (Nationwide) but the new device did need authenticating which needed my card reader and bank card.

Similarly, the Thai banks needed the same process as they did when first set up, no actual contact but assorted OTPs (hope you are using the same phone number).

If you use the same Google account when you set up your new phone all your apps will buzz across all by themselves, you don't need the shop to do anything.

I know you will think this a dumb question ,but i have a nationwide account ,and at the moment there are problems setting up a new payee(they said it would be done by the 9th) but that i could do it from a mobile app ,but as i live here in Thailand can i download their app and do it or would they know i was in Thailand , sorry to sound so dumb. oh and where do i download the app from

3 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I know you will think this a dumb question ,but i have a nationwide account ,and at the moment there are problems setting up a new payee(they said it would be done by the 9th) but that i could do it from a mobile app ,but as i live here in Thailand can i download their app and do it or would they know i was in Thailand , sorry to sound so dumb. oh and where do i download the app from

I have the app, no problem.

They don't seem to be able to join up the dots about being non-resident.

Google Nationwide App and this one result:-

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/ways-to-bank/banking-app

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

just went to nationwide banking app and it says ,not available in your country.

Interesting, I got it no problem.

Are you trying to download with WiFi or mobile data? Try the other.

It's also worth try to "push" it from GooglePlay on your PC.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Interesting, I got it no problem.

Are you trying to download with WiFi or mobile data? Try the other.

It's also worth try to "push" it from GooglePlay on your PC.

no matter what i do ,i just cant download the app ,even got our son to try on his mobile ,same message . Barclays no problem ,only problem there as i cant set up a new payee on nationwide ,i cant even send money to my own barclays account .lol

Edited by bert bloggs

2 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

no matter what i do ,i just cant download the app ,even got our son to try on his mobile ,same message . Barclays no problem ,only problem there as i cant set up a new payee on nationwide ,i cant even send money to my own barclays account .lol

Can you install via a VPN ?

26 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I have UK Googleplay, certain thai apps I can't install such as the driving licence one. If you are registered as Thailand Googleplay you may be restricted what apps you can download

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Search "nationwide banking apk" and you'll find various sites from where you can download the app.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I've sent you a PM.